• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

looks like 2 versions of the uniden 980 radios

I don't think we've entered the realm of a major conspiracy :cautious:, but I do think most buyers would like to have the model with the dual controls on the clarifier and want to know how to ensure that's the one they're going to get when ordering a 980SB. (n)

Uniden still has not replied to my request for information. :whistle:

Last edited:
I’ll be glad to find out about the 563.

Son comes home and I need to replace his C29 with a 980. A Sirio to replace a Lil Wil. Best coax, etc.

Fine/Coarse would be great. Get me one, too.

Well I got a reply and confirmed the part about the box showing a single with the radio itself having a dual fine/coarse clarifier. So their supply is in fact the dual clarifier version .He personally went to the warehouse to check. He believes they should communicate the change but believes the keep the package the same so to go back and forth without having to change packaging but that's only speculation. No solid answers but I thought I'd share what I learned!

I have the Original from Vietnam & it has the Dual Clarifier. I did not know there was a difference since I have never seen the New model in person & did not notice it in the pictures or video's online. I just know that I Really like mine even with that Beep that I have not removed so far. LOL :po_O

SIX-SHOOTER

Reactions: Eldorado828
I have the Original from Vietnam & it has the Dual Clarifier. I did not know there was a difference since I have never seen the New model in person & did not notice it in the pictures or video's online. I just know that I Really like mine even with that Beep that I have not removed so far. LOL :po_O

SIX-SHOOTER
You might already be aware but there's a surface mount resistor to remove on the previous models to get rid of that pesky beep.

Humm i got 2. 1 is early model cant kill the beep and it has dual knobs on the clarifier.the other is newer n you can kill the beep n has dual knobs on the clarifier. Both were built in nam

You can Kill the Beep but it requires a simple Mod & it will never Beep again.

SIX-SHOOTER

You might already be aware but there's a surface mount resistor to remove on the previous models to get rid of that pesky beep.

Yes I know but I have not bothered with removing the covers at all since I have no business inside of it & it really does not bother me. I don't change channels a whole lot when I have it on most of the time I am on 28 AM or 38 LSB.

SIX-SHOOTER

I havnt bothered fixin that beep in my old 1.will someday but mine stays on 38 lsb in my pickup

Uniden at times is not much help. they do not like to answer questions. I called them about a part for the 880 and all they would say was send it to use prepaid with a check for 69.95 and they would repair it and then I would have to pay shipping back to me. all of this for a 10.00 dollar part.

Uniden at times is not much help. they do not like to answer questions. I called them about a part for the 880 and all they would say was send it to use prepaid with a check for 69.95 and they would repair it and then I would have to pay shipping back to me. all of this for a 10.00 dollar part.
yes spend double its worth to get fixed.i called them asking about the backlight.my early 1 has funky colors and no suggestions but ship to us n we will gyp you n fix it

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.