• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

looks like 2 versions of the uniden 980 radios

they also said if they could not repair the radio they would send me out a refurb to replace the ones I have for that service charge.
They've rigged it where it's a win win for them and only them. The good o'l days of good customer service and companies of dignity are a thing some of us who actually experienced it can only remember now. Few and far between these days!

Reactions: Rwb
Yes we will repair it...for xx amount of dollars. Whats that you only paid 135.72 for it and we charged you 136.90? We SELL radios, pay or loose sorry.
Watch 1 dual dual knob clarifier stock depletes n all you can buy is single knob

I have owned a few 980SSB radios since they were first introduced, including the earlier boards and later redesigned boards. They all have dual clarifier controls, as have the radios that friends have owned.

I had noticed the difference in the stock cover photo several years ago and I believe it is simply an early design/prototype photo (probably the very unit that was sent to the FCC for testing), but the dual clarifier was added to the final production unit. The disclaimer on the box about the photo possibly being different would seem to support my theory.

There are two different boards that are found in the 980. I believe they redesigned the board around 2016, and that gave you the “beep-delete” option from the front panel (there are other significant changes internally). The original board has an SWR bridge circuit board mounted to the rear wall of the chassis. There is a screw on the rear panel to the left and below the antenna jack, that holds the SWR bridge in place. If your radio has no screw in that hole, you have the newer board, because the SWR bridge was redesigned and incorporated onto the main PCB.

But to my knowledge, all production 980s had dual clarifiers.

Riverman when I 1st noticed this there was both kinds on ebay. that was when I noticed 2 different versions.

:eek:(n):cautious:

Well, that throws a monkey wrench it. :ROFLMAO:

Maybe we should contact Erich Von Daniken. This might be bigger than we think. o_O

I'm pretty sure that there is a hack to kill the beep somewhere on this forum.
IIRC, it just removing one surface mount resistor.
Dunno if it is different/same for the different version of this radio.
The plot thickens . . .

Two versions I’ve seen both had dual clarifers were PC371AA and PB367AB. 371 had a 520 final and the 367 had a RD16HHF. Haven’t seen the first version with the single clarifier yet

Attachments

• 56308E94-F541-44CF-8538-851F0337F719.jpeg
    56308E94-F541-44CF-8538-851F0337F719.jpeg
    683.5 KB · Views: 4
  • BA89CBE2-258C-4F51-A2BB-D7141F5C3B3D.jpeg
    BA89CBE2-258C-4F51-A2BB-D7141F5C3B3D.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 4
After some phone calls and several emails Uniden has not replied to any of them.
Nothing.
Kind of like asking for a service manual ..... Don't think any info is forth coming.

Jeff

Can't beieve it. I just now received a reply to my inquiry.
Here it is.

FEB 05, 2019 | 11:30AM CST
Caleb replied:

Good Day,

Thank you for contacting Uniden. They are not special order, those knobs will come on any of our Bearcat 980 models.

Thank you,
Caleb

Thank you for Choosing Uniden!
Caleb
Uniden Tech Supervisor

I immediately received a survey wanting me to rate their customer service. Well . . . Let's see. I sent my E-mail on Jan.16 and received a reply on Feb. 5. :whistle:

Reactions: LeapFrog
sounds like the person that answered you has no idea what you are talking about. they did not give you a straight answer to one having 2 knobs and the other having 1 knob.

sounds like the person that answered you has no idea what you are talking about. they did not give you a straight answer to one having 2 knobs and the other having 1 knob.

I recently sent an E-mail to Kenwood and received a reply the same day. And one to Whistler about one of their scanners. They answered the next day. Uniden: 20 days.

I don't recall anyone saying they actually have a 980 with just the single knob. So I think CDX8412 hit the nail on the head when he theorized the photo on the box is of the prototype and that the actual production models all have dual controls. (y)

Last edited:
Just be aware the "upgraded" one is their 563W while the originals were 561 with no prefix.

But if the Ebay seller has one of their "single gang" clarifier - hmm...

Their listing has ended so let's see what happens next.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.