• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Loudest Export radio out today?

Now if we are throwing cbs iin the mix the old Mark III can sound oh so fine. When it gets back from Nomad I hope it sounds even better!! Going into the new Steel ceramic Triode should sound fine. Got to get a driver. Not so much just loud. Great audio which is what is important.

Any of the 50 watt + modern export models are subject to being equally very loud and clear right outta da box. That big 4300... Galaxy and the 98HP and the 94HP are gonna smoke. The Magnums have the built in modulator type circuit so they are loud. RCI 2970 great choice also and has best frequency coverage. So pick any of these and you'll be in charge of the block.

Loudest export radio I have ever owned (and no, I'm not talking about a radio with some silly amp built-in) isn't even a dual final radio.

It's my old Silver faced President Jackson.

While it's not a screamer on AM (I have it set at 5W deadkey, 25W swing), it pulls 60W+ on my Bird 43A wattmeter on SSB in my mobile on a 102" steel whip with a completely flat SWR. And the ALC adjustment isn't even set wide open. No clipped mods, either. Out-performs any other export radio I've ever had, hands down. and I've owned a LOT of export radios. If I could find me another silver faced President Jackson in good shape that isn't hacked up, I'd trade off my Ranger 2950DX in a heartbeat.

Just my .02 worth. :D

-Exit

President Grant DX....the original one (silver faced) that came out the same time as the President Jackson. I'll agree the Jackson is loud especially if you run a M106B mike on it, but I like the Grant better. All the new model radios out there with echo turned off will have a hard time to transmit better quality audio than the Grant DX.

The "loudest" radio I ever heard would be a toss up between my Uniden 76XL or a local's Magnum S9. Both of these are just plain "loud", and neither were externally amplified...the Uniden is even unclipped with the stock final.

I think it sometimes just depends on the radio...

LOUD is in the ears of the listeners. Gets to deep from there. It's about how guys want to sound , and that's usually compared to something else they heard. You know , the guy that bleeds 10 channels both ways :headbang I see it and hear it all the time.

Radio operators tend to make there own rules and think there kind of loud is a good thing (not) but at the same time , its there dime and there time. IM OK with that. Radios all can be loud , but was it tuned correctly ? is it really over modulated ? (in many cases , YES)

I like what Lou Franklin said , just about any radio tuned correctly would only need a stock mic to sound good with more then enough audio to get the jbs done nice and clean like. I agree. Although not all stock mic's are created equal.

I've heard little Cobra back pocket 19s sound so loud that they rattled the fillings in my teeth , was the thing tuned correctly ? Not on your life. I rest my case.

Seven pages of opinion on this topic in over a year's time. Say what you will, but apparently this topic is important to many or maybe it's just a topic that many believe their opinion is the right one.

By the way I don't mean to hurt no feelings here...but my Northstar mobile is the loudest. :love:

I have the OmegaForce; it's not even the loudest of the Magnum lineup. It is plenty loud; I run the RF output all of the way down and it puts out a 4 watt deadkey and modulates up to 30 watts. So then I turn off the TopGun modulator and turn down the mic gain to get to 25 watts. Now, I need to get a filter to clean up any residual bleedover; that should be good for a cleaner sound and a loss of 3 watts off of the top. So, all of the trouble that I went thru to get a radio that can talk clearly and be heard - and now I need to back it off now. But if necessary, it has a lot in reserve that I can use if I should need it...

I need to get a filter to clean up any residual bleedover; that should be good for a cleaner sound and a loss of 3 watts off of the top.

The type of filter you're thinking of isn't going to help get rid of "bleedover" to adjacent channels.

The type of filter you're thinking of isn't going to help get rid of "bleedover" to adjacent channels.

You're right; I shouldn't have used the word 'bleedover' - although it was on my mind at the time. I should have used the words 'possible trouble with neighbors' instead.
My mistake!
While on the subject, it is relevenat to these radios mentioned at hand. What can be done to eliminate bleedover? Any specific filter that would help would be appreciated. Although it isn't a problem as yet, I do want to be ready to act if necessary.

The loudest radio? The one with the most limiters cut out of it.

Face it, ANY "loud" export that has in your face audio, has at least one limiter removed (TR32, TR57, R249, R246 in the common 3600 board). Then, you hang a 1N4001 diode off the back or in series with the resistor for the swing mod. You control the "loudness/dirtiness/bleeding" via the Mic. Gain knob.

Purchase a General Lee from Sparky's CB Shack. Pop the "warranty" stickers off and you will find a trace cut on TR57. That is your "loud." He does a good job aligning the radio, but he could have just opened the VR's up all they way and got the same effect. Plus, the radio has virtually zilch for average power. You are basically riding the deadkey with tons of splatter. He could at least do the diode swing mod. It costs what, $0.05 for a diode? He is there cutting a trace, he could at least solder on a diode and bring your average power up out of the mud.

I just worked on a friends Bi-polar General Lee (2312s instead of 520s). Did the diode swing mod and adjusted deadkeys back down to a normal level, 2 low and 6 high. 2 watts was averaging 14 watts and 35 clean(ish) watts, 50 dirty watts. 6 watts was averaging 20 watts and 38ish clean(ish) watts, 50 dirty watts. I replaced TR32 to see if it would clean the audio up a bit. It lost some average power, now does 10-11 average on low and 15-16 on high. Still overmodulating as the VRs are opened up but not near as "raspy" as it was and still sounds "loud." Backing the mic. gain off did take some "loud" away but does clean the signal up.

The 3600 board does not need hacking to be loud. Leave the limiters in, add the diode swing mod and adjust VR's either fully open or close to it.

This "loud" and "swing" stuff has gotten waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of hand. There are only so many mods for the 3600 board, NOBODY has reinvented the wheel for this chassis. This business of being loud and clean is PURE and ABSOLUTE BULL FECES. You can not have loud in your face audio and be clean, no way, NONE. If it is LOUD, a limiter is gone or the modulation VRs are opened up.

/rant

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.