• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Low pass filter

dx31353

Mar 5, 2014
I am having a few problems with a new base station I set up. My garage door opener light flashes when I key up. I can hear myself threw my computer speakers and the old tv I use in my shack gets fuzzy.

I was thinking of installing a low pass filter. I was hoping you guys could tell me about a few good ones. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

yep, no sense wasting money on a low pass filter if your problems are front end overload, or common mode currents on the coax.

if you really want to get the best help with this type of problem, you need to give us a very detailed description of your station, including antenna height, location, and mounting scheme. include the radio you are running, the output of it and any amps, and any mods done to either. also include any grounding that you have done. again, details are key.

also let us know the location of your shack in the house. 1st story or 2nd story? how close to the garage? etc...

the more details you give, the better the chance of someone spotting the culprit.

oh, also include any pertinent details about your house, such as being solar powered, or built in 1895. :)
LC

If you decide you would like lowpass filters I have a few extras here Ill sell ya cheap as I just dont use them like I said I accumulated several over the years. I believe they are good for 160 - 10 meters I used to use them with my portable setup but I have smaller one now as I dont run high power with my portable setup.

Probably the BIGGEST misconception people have is that a low pass filter will cure things like lights turning on/off or their audio being heard over computer or sound system speakers. They don't help in those cases because the issue is NOT harmonics. The problem is poor shielding or front end overload caused by a very strong signal that messes with the device and has nothing to do with harmonics. Harmonics are quite evident when you see interference on a TV when tuned to channel 2 (second harmonic) or channel 5 (third harmonic). In some cases long speaker leads act as antennas and pick up the signal and feed it back into the amplifier where it causes problems. Again the issue is not harmonics. While the use of a low pass filter will not hurt anything and is a good thing to have anyway, it most certainly is not a cure all for interference.

I have two low pass filters, an old Nye Viking and a Bencher. I used the Bencher at my old QTH, and it did cure a "touch" lamp from blinking like crazy. I did still come over my nephew's guitar amp, and it was fun to whisper "you suck" while he was playing. :laugh: Grounding and ferrite chokes seemed to be the real answer at my location. I figure it never hurts to run a filter as long as you have quality jumper cables in between.

Brett

Probably the BIGGEST misconception people have is that a low pass filter will cure things like lights turning on/off or their audio being heard over computer or sound system speakers. They don't help in those cases because the issue is NOT harmonics. The problem is poor shielding or front end overload caused by a very strong signal that messes with the device and has nothing to do with harmonics. Harmonics are quite evident when you see interference on a TV when tuned to channel 2 (second harmonic) or channel 5 (third harmonic). In some cases long speaker leads act as antennas and pick up the signal and feed it back into the amplifier where it causes problems. Again the issue is not harmonics. While the use of a low pass filter will not hurt anything and is a good thing to have anyway, it most certainly is not a cure all for interference.
I'm running a dead stock out of the box cobra 29.

I didn't realize setting up a little base station was going to be such a pia.

I'm running a dead stock out of the box cobra 29.

I didn't realize setting up a little base station was going to be such a pia.

Anyway the station in in my garage I'm just using the antenna on my truck atm. I wanted to see how I liked it before I spent money.

DX31353,

What CK and I are saying is that regardless of any harmonics your radio might be putting out, you still have other ways of interfering with your household electronics.

ferrite is going to be your best friend.
LC

Reactions: 1 person
DX31353,

What CK and I are saying is that regardless of any harmonics your radio might be putting out, you still have other ways of interfering with your household electronics.

ferrite is going to be your best friend.
LC
10-4. Thanks.

when I would talk with my RCI with only 50 watts I would lock up my wife's computer needless to say she was not happy with me.. Ferrite block clamped on to the mouse keyboard and 1 on the power cored fixed it...

I agree a Lowpass filter will not ALWAYS fix your RFI issues. C.K. Thats why I told him Ide sell hime Lowpass filter for cheap instead of spending more money on a new one and it solving nothing. Ive been down that road where LowPass and HighPass filters did notta damn thing.

Anyway the station in in my garage I'm just using the antenna on my truck atm. I wanted to see how I liked it before I spent money.

So the antenna is low and close !!.With the electronics in the antennas near field.Move it up and away from the garage and see if it's still a problem.

So the antenna is low and close !!.With the electronics in the antennas near field.Move it up and away from the garage and see if it's still a problem.
I'll try that. Thanks. I run a 500 watt comp (splatter) box in my truck right where it sits all the time with no problem though.

Lol I guess im just doing things wrong atm. :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.