• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Low Volume

Q74 is the same exact part.
It is used for the PA function.
If you were for sure that you were never gonna use the pa then you could shuffle it over to q73's spot.
Or you could do that now and then when you get the other part you could put it at q74 and then you would have your pa function if desired.
Just a thought.
Looks like you got this figured out.
When you solder small sm stuff the parts want to adhere to the soldering iron tip because of excess solder on the tip, ( it don't take much ) so make sure that when you solder that the part does not lift up with the soldering and then get too hot before you figure out how to remove it from the soldering iron tip. ( your first instinct is to use your fingers, but let me tell you from experience; is not a good experience. Sure, you'll get the part off but you won't know where it flew to......lol)
What I usually do is to position the part and then with another tool with a small end on it, could be any number of things that are handy like a pencil or whatever will let you hold down the part so that it does not lift up when you remove the soldering iron)
And then press the iron to the top of one of the parts leads for just a half second, and then when you pull the iron away the part will remain in place and when you solder the remaining leads of the part it will stay put without need to use something to hold it in place because it has at least one lead holding it in place while you solder the remaining leads.

I am still waiting for the new part to come, hope today? but I just took the old one out, not too bad with a nice pointy iron. But unsoldering one and installing one is enough for me, I will wait for the new part!

Where did you buy the part?
Also, if you don't mind me gettin' in your business: How much for the part?, How much for S&H, and how long did it take to get it after you placed your order?
Curious; Did the part stay stuck to your iron when you got it free of the board?
Maybe you would explain your method/procedure you used after you get the new part installed.
Later,
Goodluck

My life story!

Where did you buy the part?
Also, if you don't mind me gettin' in your business: How much for the part?, How much for S&H, and how long did it take to get it after you placed your order?
Curious; Did the part stay stuck to your iron when you got it free of the board?
Maybe you would explain your method/procedure you used after you get the new part installed.
Later,
Goodluck

OK let me see???

I got 20 of them on ebay for $4.00 2 something shipped. Sail mail! ordered on the 7th should get between 12th and 15th! I use my solder sucker after each touch of a very pointy iron, then just lifted it off with a pair of hemostats, came off like it should!

and when I get it, I am gonna tin the leggs on the bottom and set in place, hold there with a pencil tip and tap the Iron on each point. (hopefully!

sounds good huh?

Reactions: NZ8N
YEAH????!! I finally got my parts in and replaced that Q73 and it works> yippi.. but freeking small soldering tho.. I got er done!

Thanks all for any input and info!

Reactions: NZ8N
People misinterpret "cool beams" as "cool beans"

The real McCoy is COOL BEAMS.

It's what dope dealers say when their scale balanced out when weighing dope.

Cool beams man!

I did not have a clue about that.
I wonder if that is regional or nationwide.
Funny you should mention the Real McCoy; That is my surname.
Thanks for the info.

IS THIS THE SAME FIX ?

Nope.

The fix above is to the speaker circuit, and that would affect all modes equally.

A problem with AM only will lie upstream from where the AM and SSB audio come together at the volume control.

If this is a really old 2950, I would start with making sure L3, L4, L5 and L6 are peaked. If they are, then check C25 a 10uf cap between L5 and L6. Simply touching the two leads of a new cap to the solder pads under C25 will tell you if it has failed. If the AM audio level jumps up when the new cap's two leads touch the pads under C25, the old part is bad. And if it makes no difference, you have a different problem.

i got it and replaced c25, still the same, I peaked L3 L4L5L6, i have to crank up the volume to hear on AM, all other modes are fine, rx is good as far as the signal meter on all modes, its just the volume level has to be cranked all the way up to hear on AM.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.