• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Lunar Eclipse tonight 1-20-2019

Handy Andy

Do Your Research First, Then Decide...
Apr 23, 2018
www.cbtricks.com
Just wanted to let you folks know, if you get the chance within the next few minutes of this posting...

Lunar Eclipse as well as "Supermoon" tonight.

Right now it nearing maximum occultation (Eclipse).

So "Lunar Eclipse" is where the Earth is between the Sun and the Moon, where the Earth will cast it's shadow on the moons surface we see. The moon reflects this sunlight and shadow cast back towards us we see as the lunar disk dimming and tuning reddish brown or dark greys

This effect - subtle coloring is caused by atmospheric filtering from the sunlight thru the earths' atmosphere also refracting sunlight thru itself and coloring the eclipse with it's reddish haze colors onto a faint purple haze color near the cast shadow rim to show "ozone" from the earths upper atmosphere.

The "Solar Eclipse" Is where the Moon is between Earth and the Sun and casts its' shadow on the Earth.

The "Solar" type is the one that is dangerous to look and view directly - for it's like staring directly at the sun, can damage your eyes' permanently.

Lunar eclipse light is not, it's uses the SUNLIT side of the moon - which is a reflection of sunlight - and does not pose such a health hazard.

However it is a cold night so dress appropriately.

Enjoy the moment.

It's way too cloudy here, as was the recent solar eclipse. It did spark a conversation with my 10 year old son though. He told me he would love to walk on the moon someday.

Out of pure curiosity, I decided to pick his little brain a bit. Long story short, I explained that the cell phone in my hand was many times more powerful than any computer existing during the Apollo missions that started 50 years ago, but the technology to go to the moon was destroyed and we will likely never go back to the moon because it is too hard now.

He looked at me like I was bat-shit crazy and replied "What? That doesn't make any sense... Why?" I almost brought up the Van Allen belt and NASA's open admission that they don't know if they can send a man through there with the Orion, but I figured he had enough to stew on for the moment.

Reactions: Slowmover
This is the last total lunar eclipse visible from our little Earth -- the last one for a couple of years, in fact. It's outstanding looking at it. In fact I was just out standing looking at it. The weather was pretty cloudy all day but there are patches of unbroken "clear".

Just at freezing right now.

It's way too cloudy here, as was the recent solar eclipse. It did spark a conversation with my 10 year old son though. He told me he would love to walk on the moon someday.

Out of pure curiosity, I decided to pick his little brain a bit. Long story short, I explained that the cell phone in my hand was many times more powerful than any computer existing during the Apollo missions that started 50 years ago, but the technology to go to the moon was destroyed and we will likely never go back to the moon because it is too hard now.

He looked at me like I was bat-shit crazy and replied "What? That doesn't make any sense... Why?" I almost brought up the Van Allen belt and NASA's open admission that they don't know if they can send a man through there with the Orion, but I figured he had enough to stew on for the moment.

I’m almost 46 and I’m with your son, I can’t understand that statement either. It looks like they’d be able to make weekly trips if they wanted to or had a need. They had what equals the computing power of what, a TI-82 against what we have today? Guess I got some reading to do now, you’ve made me scratch my head...

I’m almost 46 and I’m with your son, I can’t understand that statement either. It looks like they’d be able to make weekly trips if they wanted to or had a need. They had what equals the computing power of what, a TI-82 against what we have today? Guess I got some reading to do now, you’ve made me scratch my head...
Good luck, and let me know if you find the bottom of that rabbit hole.

The Apollo program provided the basics for Large Scale Integration that supplanted the need for individual blocks or modules to be made in a manageable size or abilities of function for sub-systems in the rocket engines as well as the ability to matrix all of it into serial data communications and switch of the data to route sensor input to the proper parts of the system. The beginning of the end for Discrete - for LSI helped develop SMD applications to reduce failure from vibration and environment conditions.

To say it's just not possible - hmm... maybe we should replace the word "possible" with "practical" instead. For we can send someone back there, just we need to look at it as; is it practical to do so and for what justifiable purpose?

Although Homeland Security would make sense - the re-start of such a program makes it more of an environmental liability than impractical nor impossible. We came to visit - saw a lot of problems if we stayed long term, but went ahead and we scrapped the program once it started to lose interest. For it was easier to have Hollywood make Space 1999 and Star Trek believable than to keep making base stations - for if you look at it - we would be doing the very same thing of "invading" something that we all could share in, but would those that "invade" be willing to share?

Now, that other countries are going ahead with development and deploying of their space programs, they don't see this as a liability - maybe a conquest - which we should be concerned about. Looking at it another way; for if those that do not want to share the resources that orb provides - then there is a far bigger problem of open and free exploration versus limited and restrictive exploitation of resources to obtain it for themselves

The Apollo program provided the basics for Large Scale Integration that supplanted the need for individual blocks or modules to be made in a manageable size or abilities of function for sub-systems in the rocket engines as well as the ability to matrix all of it into serial data communications and switch of the data to route sensor input to the proper parts of the system. The beginning of the end for Discrete - for LSI helped develop SMD applications to reduce failure from vibration and environment conditions.

To say it's just not possible - hmm... maybe we should replace the word "possible" with "practical" instead. For we can send someone back there, just we need to look at it as; is it practical to do so and for what justifiable purpose?

Although Homeland Security would make sense - the re-start of such a program makes it more of an environmental liability than impractical nor impossible. We came to visit - saw a lot of problems if we stayed long term, but went ahead and we scrapped the program once it started to lose interest. For it was easier to have Hollywood make Space 1999 and Star Trek believable than to keep making base stations - for if you look at it - we would be doing the very same thing of "invading" something that we all could share in, but would those that "invade" be willing to share?

Now, that other countries are going ahead with development and deploying of their space programs, they don't see this as a liability - maybe a conquest - which we should be concerned about. Looking at it another way; for if those that do not want to share the resources that orb provides - then there is a far bigger problem of open and free exploration versus limited and restrictive exploitation of resources to obtain it for themselves
Have you actually researched the moon landing debate? I'm not being an ass either, that is a serious question. I am open to a single shred of evidence we did because that would be an amazing feat. I can find no reasonable evidence that it actually happened, that is why I am skeptical.

Reactions: TheRealPorkchop
The moon landing is made out to be much harder than “the facts” present.

Computational needs aren’t high. Just dead-nuts reliable.

Do ICBMs fly? Does the ISS orbit the planet? Etc.

While I’m open to re-examining history (ignored questions or glaring deficiencies once pointed out), this one employed many thousands of people over a lengthy period.

I’ve read “refutations”. The faked scenario is harder to pull off, in some respects.

An important question to always ask is, “Cui Bono?” (Who Benefits?).

If tomorrow GOOGLE deletes every image of pre-1960 European Man’s inventions & achievements (and then those of “him”), refute the hypothesis that it was “him” that even existed, much less invented the modern age (fossil fuels as leverage, and accompanying work in physics).

Also ask why invention ends circa 1960. Nothing new since then. 1850-1960 is incredible.

Per capita patents before successive waves of ever more stupid peoples allowed here is unreal (compared to today).

1). Who funds invention?

2). Who has vested interest in removing this power (of inventions) from ordinary people?

Find examples: airplane progress from first sixty years with Wright Flyer to B-70. Why are airliners no faster over the next sixty years?

Etc.

Follow the counter-lines. 1960 (November 1963 actually) is the before/after point. Socially & scientifically.

It’s the questions that matter (as they pre-sage the answer).

IMO, the real first question is to ask, “show me your library card”. And then ask about the general state — the comparative virtues — of that library or system. And how many books currently at home and at hand?

By the way, who controls publishing?

Cui Bono

Last edited:
Reactions: Handy Andy
Have you actually researched the moon landing debate? I'm not being an ass either, that is a serious question. I am open to a single shred of evidence we did because that would be an amazing feat. I can find no reasonable evidence that it actually happened, that is why I am skeptical.

That was kinda my point. And today with the actual technology to do so, why? I’ve never there but I’m pretty sure there’s nothing there useful. I heard or read somewhere about it being hollow or having a metal thid sound when it was shot by a rocket or something. I don’t remember what it was now.

Seems doable today but almost impossible back then. I got my tinfoil hat on just in case.

But do you have any proof that it didn't happen? I wasn't there when it did or didn't happen so I can't say one way or the other. I wonder if the American flag can be seen on the moon with a telescope?

No matter what facts are presented there are other countries that are looking at exporting (Mining) and possible colonization - whether we follow lead or ignore - others will attempt and take control if no one steps in to coordinate, cooperate or otherwise capitalize on the opportunity.

So if you're not a believer now, we are living in interesting times - be it a curse or a compliment - doing nothing about this will allow those that are developing the resources and infrastructure - to continue without impunity until they claim to be the "First" of their kind.

But that is not why I'm here to post, that is a different thread and discussion - I just wanted to show another event that will occur tonight dealing with Jupiter, Venus and Morning sky.

Antares.jpg

From Bing
Venus and Jupiter are in a unique conjunction in the Morning sky - as you can see some of the planets are still below the horizon during this time of sunrise - this event occurs tonight, actually early Tuesday Morning of 1/22/2019 - about 1 hour before sunrise in the Eastern sky. This is based upon Eastern Time Zone - approximately 5:30AM until sunrise - based upon local times.

The uniqueness of this is from the several events occurring during January - as if it was a series of events to get it out of the way for the rest of the year to provide the rest of the stellar, global and political events to unfold in our near future...

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

There's a theory making the rounds that the moon landing was faked by Hollywood. The director who made it happen? Stanley Kubrick.

Now you'll have to remember that Mr Kubrick was a perfectionist. Always strove to make a scene as a believable as possible given the technology available at the time. Which presented quite a problem with getting all the details just right.

So he did it the only way he knew how to capture everything on the film the way it should look.

He shot on location.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.