• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco 750,good or bad?

King Mudduck

FEAR THE DUCK!
May 6, 2005
285 South Western Virgina waving!
Are they any good?I think i may be able to pick one up for around 3 to $400.00,is that a good price for one in very good condition?The guy that has it told me that its doing around 800 pep watts but a few of my friends that have been in cb for a long time say that box should do something like 1200 to 1500 watts.Who's right?No use buying it if im going to have to turn around and put tubes in it and i understand that they are high!

If the tubes are good, you can remove them and sell them for double the price you're paying for the box.

If they aren't good, you're wasting good money to buy it.

Have a VERY close look at the filter capacitors, and run the tubes through a good-quality tube tester before reaching for the money.

The thing is between 25 and 30 years old, so there will be age issues if it still contains original electrolytic capacitors.

How much power it should show has a lot to do with the radio AND the wattmeter in use. Not all versions of the 750 are the same, by a long shot.

Some versions of the 750 were designed to match a tiny radio, by modern standards. If you can't get it hooked up to try so you can see/hear what comes out of it, the thing is a pig in a poke.

Some of these left the factory not set up just exactly right. If you do a check-out run into a dummy load, watch to see that the gray plate surfaces inside the tubes don't "cherry" or show a red glow after you're keyed for 20 to 30 seconds. If they do, you'll need to have the bias, and maybe some coil adjustments inside "fine-tuned". If only one or two of them does this, it's a sign that the tubes in that section are not well-matched. Typically mixing new and used tubes will cause some but not all of them to "cherry up" before you have been keyed that long. And if it shows too much carrier even with the radio turned down below 2 Watts, you have one of the "too-hot" versions of the 750.

Think about buying a 1978 car (turbocharged motor) without being allowed to start the motor or drive it around the block. It's not JUST the miles, it's the years, too.

The 750 really is a radio hot-rod, so if it blows a tire, you could hit the wall on the straightaway. Lots of smoke and broken pieces.

nomadradio said:
If the tubes are good, you can remove them and sell them for double the price you're paying for the box.

If they aren't good, you're wasting good money to buy it.

Have a VERY close look at the filter capacitors, and run the tubes through a good-quality tube tester before reaching for the money.

The thing is between 25 and 30 years old, so there will be age issues if it still contains original electrolytic capacitors.

How much power it should show has a lot to do with the radio AND the wattmeter in use. Not all versions of the 750 are the same, by a long shot.

Some versions of the 750 were designed to match a tiny radio, by modern standards. If you can't get it hooked up to try so you can see/hear what comes out of it, the thing is a pig in a poke.

Some of these left the factory not set up just exactly right. If you do a check-out run into a dummy load, watch to see that the gray plate surfaces inside the tubes don't "cherry" or show a red glow after you're keyed for 20 to 30 seconds. If they do, you'll need to have the bias, and maybe some coil adjustments inside "fine-tuned". If only one or two of them does this, it's a sign that the tubes in that section are not well-matched. Typically mixing new and used tubes will cause some but not all of them to "cherry up" before you have been keyed that long. And if it shows too much carrier even with the radio turned down below 2 Watts, you have one of the "too-hot" versions of the 750.

Think about buying a 1978 car (turbocharged motor) without being allowed to start the motor or drive it around the block. It's not JUST the miles, it's the years, too.

The 750 really is a radio hot-rod, so if it blows a tire, you could hit the wall on the straightaway. Lots of smoke and broken pieces.

I could not (and knowing me would not) have said it better than that.

Congrats Nomad on reaching the 600 mark on posts; you have put a lot of good info out there.

73's

I think i would save the 400.00 and put it towards something with 3-500's or as Paws is building a GS35B. Those sweep tubes in that amp are rated 82 watts a piece (rms) so if you really slaughter the tubes with a driver tube(s) like i think that is, you might reach 100watts per tube. On the "peak" reading who knows. Right now on E-Gay there is a Single 3-500Z box up for grabs for 335$ and one with a pair of 4CX250B's selling for about 150 now. So other more viable options are out there. Just My .02$

Looks like the 3-500Z Heathkit amp I saw on there has sold, it was one of the late models that they produced that was actually factory built. Heres a few good choices that uses anything from 572B tubes to 4CX250Bs...anytime you're on E-gay just Punch linear amplifier in the search bar and you'll get all sorts of items to pop up..Dig this..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yaesu-FL-2100B-...816031432QQcategoryZ48700QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/HF-Power-Amplif...ryZ48700QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-HEATHKI...816011126QQcategoryZ48700QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Heathkit-SB200-...5815599175QQcategoryZ4673QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just a small sample.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.