• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco 8 element flat side vs. Joegunn audio 8

I've been chuckling about that one all evening.

I'd like to start the rumor that when using a quad, the mic must be used left-handed else the polarity will change.

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Sounds like another one of those CB myths that were discussed in another thread. I ran four elements for years in a yagi-quad configuration. I currently run six elements on a homebrew 6m yagi and I challenge any five element to match it. I would like to see a two element quad beat a three element quad.

I didnt say I believed it. I said they did;)

I didnt say I believed it. I said they did;)

Mr. Clean there may be something to the idea here regarding the Maco 107c vs. Maco 108c, besides the difference in the number of elements these two are remarkably different. I cannot imagine however that a quad would be any different.

IMO, this idea has to do with the fact that the length of the boom has more to do with gain than the number of elements and I think history, science, and modeling bears that out. It is reported that elements past D3 are more loosely coupled to the driven element and they likely contribute less to the total gain. I guess this assumes that the antennas are perfect in each respect, but it might be a theoretical possibility if we could accurately measure the responses.

Something to consider.

I'm not sure how modeling would handle this question, but I would guess in reality these two are very close regardless of what the ads claim.

Last edited:
Let me say that there are cases where an antenna with fewer elements can indeed beat out one of more elements. In that case it is because the antenna with fewer elements has a longer boom length. Gain truely is related more to boom length than the number of elements. A wide spaced five element will out perform a close spaced six element. It will also have a better F/B ratio and narrower bandwidth.

GOODDAY AND HOW IS EVERYBODY DOIN? IN MY OPINION THE JO GUNNS ARE OVER PRICED AND OVERRATED, I DO NOT BELIEVE THE GAIN FIGURES. MACO ANTENNAS ARE GOOD. I RAN THE 4,5,6,7,AND 8 THROUGH EZNEC AND THE 7AND 8 ARE ALMOST EQUEL. AS A MATTER OF FACT THE 7 HAS 0.20 MORE FORWARD GAIN THAN THE 8, AND THE 8 HAS 2DB GAIN MORE REJECTION THAN THE 7. THREE MORE FEET AND 2 MORE ELEMENTS, IS IT WORTH IT????????????? IF THE ELEMENTS DOES NOT HAVE THE CORRECT SPACING(ON ANY ANTENNA) IT WILL BE JUNK NO MATTER HOW LONG THE BOOM LENGHT IS.

INTERESTING TOPIC THOUGH. 73'SS

That's why I said a wide spaced array will outperform a close spaced array. All the high gain high performance antennas use fairly wide spaced element, some nearly 1/4 wave apart. A wide spaced 5 element will certainly be longer than a close spaced 5 element and have more gain thus the gain versus boom length thing.

I went with a 5 element for the simple fact that I think I will be able to cover the reg 40 channels with decent swr. Also I thought it would be plenty to try and keep in the air. Cant wait to see the look on the wifes face when its up there LOL!

Reactions: JDubya
Cant wait to see the look on the wifes face when its up there LOL!

You know.....I think it is time to buy the wife a new set of pans...frying pans to be more to the point...need to get rid of those old heavy and very un-bending cast iron things and get some soft, light weight Aluminum ones.

Good Luck with THAT part :p

Jeff

• Haha
Reactions: JDubya
I went with a 5 element for the simple fact that I think I will be able to cover the reg 40 channels with decent swr. Also I thought it would be plenty to try and keep in the air. Cant wait to see the look on the wifes face when its up there LOL!

ya a maco 5 element is plenty big if thats what ya got
get it up yet?how bout some pics?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.