• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco/ Brute 75

Story is that John Boy has been selling off the contents of Maco's warehouse since they closed. Still has the odd Maco linear part.

Ordered the caps & already got them. The Brute 75s do not have the wire wraped resistor at the top of the tube. Should i add one?

Last edited:
I recently was gifted one of these, the thing looks brand new. The tube wasn’t removed during shipping so UPS removed it during shipping, haha.

Anyone know where to get a tube for a cheap price? Hate to pay the prices I’ve seen for testing purposes, not sure of the working condition since I was told there was a relay issue with it.

Don’t mean to hi-jack the thread, figured maybe this would add a resource for this amp if others looked later.

I recently was gifted one of these, the thing looks brand new. The tube wasn’t removed during shipping so UPS removed it during shipping, haha.

Anyone know where to get a tube for a cheap price? Hate to pay the prices I’ve seen for testing purposes, not sure of the working condition since I was told there was a relay issue with it.

Don’t mean to hi-jack the thread, figured maybe this would add a resource for this amp if others looked later.
What tube do you need?

Yep, gonna be an expensive tube or some reworking to refit with a different tube if you don't want to spend the cash.
I try to be careful of the amps I buy as to avoid the extremely rare and expensive tubes. Its bad enough paying $40 for nos 6kd6's let alone $100+...

Reactions: Staybolt
Yep, gonna be an expensive tube or some reworking to refit with a different tube if you don't want to spend the cash.
I try to be careful of the amps I buy as to avoid the extremely rare and expensive tubes. Its bad enough paying $40 for nos 6kd6's let alone $100+...
You can use a 8950 to check it with. Find a used one , long as it is not bad, could be one that is 50% or so. Just to test with.

Reactions: TheRealPorkchop
The 8950, another expensive tube though more plentiful and a little cheaper than the 2057 from what I see. There is a rework kit for the 8950 so it may be cheaper in the long run to have it converted to another tube and eat a couple watts or maybe post a Wanted ad here and maybe someone will have a single tested tube they would hook him up with cheaper than ebay or tube surplus stores.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Had a customer bring me a Maco 750. "Tubes are all good" he said.

Only one of them checked bad. Found some through a local horse trader, and put one in the Maco so it had a complete set.

Another one of the customer's tubes flashed purple and died. Replaced it.

Amplifier showed just under 700 Watt peaks now.

For a while. Another of the 'original' tubes flashed and the power dropped to 500 Watt peaks.

The M2057 is not just expensive, it's risky, too. Even if it's a new zero-miles tube it may or may not hold up for long.

It was made by exactly one vendor, the GE plant in Owensboro, KY.

The story goes that it was a custom order for one customer. The "M" in "M2057" was for "Maco".

So they say.

Reactions: Staybolt and Tokin
That’s what I read and what you said is exactly what I was thinking. Still, this thing looks like new money and I hate to not fix it, just the principality..Smokey!

Who got that? Nobody huh...oh well.

As the Water Boy said, the search continues

Reactions: Tokin
Ordered the caps & already got them. The Brute 75s do not have the wire wrap resistor at the top of the tube. Should i add one?
Still trying to find out if i need to add a parasitic choke to the 75?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.