• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco/ Brute 75

The tune knob i am talking about is the one on the front right corner of the amp marked tune. The other plate tune is inside the amp. The one i am turning is the one on the front. All the way to the right is low at about 10 or 15 watts it has no hum. But as you turn it up the hum starts. I never run it over 15 or 20 watts. At 15 watts it will swing 250 or so with 5 watts out of a Sonar 2340. That is on a Swan meter on AVG.

The control on the front is really the Load control. Never mind how they labeled it. The Plate Tune control is the one on the inside, sticking up out of the chassis deck.

The Load control is normally set for max modulated power, not for carrier. The Tune control gets peaked with carrier, no modulation.

And if it does erratic things when it's turned, that tells you the amplifier is unstable and is oscillating.

Changed the coax inside to 316 grounded on both ends. Moved the plate control to the front of the case.

The tune knob i am talking about is the one on the front right corner of the amp marked tune. The other plate tune is inside the amp.

At 15 watts it will swing 250 or so

And if it does erratic things

I would think "250 or so" modulated watts from a single tube amp is erratic. This amp has problems. Has the tune control been moved to the front of the chassis or not?

David

Yes. I moved the tune control to the front. Changed the coax inside to 316 grounded on both ends. I have 4 or 5 of these little Maco's/ Brutes. Some of them have the plate coil tapped at 4 coils. The Brutes tune across all 12 coils. Do i need to change this or dose it matter? 238

The control on the front is really the Load control. Never mind how they labeled it. The Plate Tune control is the one on the inside, sticking up out of the chassis deck.

The Load control is normally set for max modulated power, not for carrier. The Tune control gets peaked with carrier, no modulation.

And if it does erratic things when it's turned, that tells you the amplifier is unstable and is oscillating.

I was trying to make sure we where on the same page. Thanks. 238

Do i need to change this or dose it matter? 238

This is determined by the behavior of the Plate Tune control.

If it shows two separate peaks in one full turn of the knob, you're good to go.

If you see only one peak in that full 360-degree turn this means that your "peak" is just the control reaching the end of its travel, not really finding a proper peak.

A look at the plates on the control will reveal if they are all the way apart, or fully meshed together. This will determine which direction you need to adjust the coil, for more or for less inductance.

And yeah, it matters. A control that has no end stop and simply spins free will have two positions where the plates are positioned for a proper tuned peak. The two peaks might be close together, or 180 degrees apart. That doesn't matter so much as making sure that you really have TWO separate peak positions on that knob.

When i started out it had no mesh. I spread the coils an i have a little mesh. I will have to check about the 2 peaks. Thanks. 238

So i thought i would check the other Brute75. It had no mesh, so i spread the coils no change. I mashed the coils close together it blew the choke below the coil. It could be i let coil touch the choke,not sure. 238

Attachments

• DSC00783.JPG
    DSC00783.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 137
Changed the choke, amp back too working. Still only get 1 peak. Have jumped the coil in different numbers, but still no 2 peaks. Taking a break on this one. Going to re cap my Maco super 75. 238

Does anyone know what amp the fuse is with the pigtails in the bottom of the Brute 75?

I would like to have a schematic for this amp also.

I believe it is a 20 amp. I will check an make sure if not it will be a 10 amp fuse. The sch is on CBTricks. Also back up to page 3 that is the sch. 238

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.