• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mag Mount Placement

Hey that's what they call them on Ebay is a ground plane for a mag mount. That's what I was asking if it would help or hurt? If anything it's an attention getter, I had one screwed into a Wilson mag mount with the Wilson 5000 screwed down on top of it. It didn't hurt my swr's but it sure got some weird looks from other people, lol.

Hey that's what they call them on Ebay is a ground plane for a mag mount. That's what I was asking if it would help or hurt? If anything it's an attention getter, I had one screwed into a Wilson mag mount with the Wilson 5000 screwed down on top of it. It didn't hurt my swr's but it sure got some weird looks from other people, lol.

Just think about it for a moment.

What is your magmount connected to? A big sheet of steel which is your groundplane. How are a few short metal rods going to be better than a big sheet of steel?

Secondly ground radials need to be at least a quarter wave long. A quarter wave on 11m is 2.75m / 9ft. Do they look 9ft long?

The ones that are even worse are the ones with the 3/8 thread. They fit on the transmitting side of the magmount so how are they going to act as a groundplane when they're connected to the radiating vertical element?

Reactions: 1 person
As snow would say, it's all snake oil. They don't work and in most cases make your tx and rx worse. I did a lot of readings and reviews about them and the consensus was they are more of a look item than a useful item. More for looks. Don't buy it. You have a good magnet mount coming if you got the pl145, it's and HD mag mount. It is a lot stronger than the wilson 5000 magnet for sure. Anyway, don't buy the ground radial crap, it really doesn't work and is a waste of money, spend some money on something different IMO. God bless.

I just don't understand why some of guys get your bloomers in a wad, I just asked a simple yes or no question. That's why I come here is to read, learn and ask. If I was as smart as some of them here I wouldn't have asked. Some here get way to excited and it feels like they're talking to me like I was an idiot or something.

Thanks 222DBFL for the honest answer and advice. I got my pl145 in the mail today and will probably get my setup put together tomorrow. At least you didn't talk to me like I was big dummy!

No worries, man, I am here to help best I can, everyone has to learn somehow!! The ground plane add on is a waste of money though truly. You have a good antenna and mount coming , and in promise you won't be disappointed. They are great antennas and I talk dx on mine almost daily with less than 100 watts. Also don't know if you saw it, but you can upgrade the coax right from sirio, it's expensive at around $45, but is good coax. The stock coax will do fine up to 400 watts as I used mine like that for a while, I ended up moving things around and needed a longer piece of coax, so I first went with rg8x, and now I am using some lmr240 I had laying around, both worked well. If needed you can PM me any questions. Don't let anyone bother or get to you here, most if not all are just trying to help. But anyway, you have a good setup coming, I know it's hard waiting, but it's worth it IMO. God bless and 73's.

Reactions: 1 person
It's already here and I'm gonna put it all together tomorrow. I'l be using a Magnum S-9, dead key about 2 or 3 and swings about 40 watts without the turbo mod and with it, it swings about 50 watts. Everyone that I talk to says it loud and proud. I have another Magnum S-9 with RX-75 installed, tuned and peaked swings about 80 watts without and with the turbo mod about 100 watts. May try them both out and see which one I like the best.

Thanks again!
God Bless and 73's

ooooops! I've messed up! I didn't order the 145 pl, instead I ordered the 125 pl. Oh Well guess I'll have to go and order the correct one from DNJ. btw have you seen the 160pl?

The 160 has a powerful 6.5" base but has only RG 58 coax. Sirio rates their Performer at 5000 watts but all their mounts use RG 58.....makes no sense to me. Wilson uses high quality RG 8X on their Wilson 5000.
The Sirio 160 mag mount should be used with the P-5000s since the antenna is long and heavy.
I have to laugh about the reviews that say the P-5000 performs significantly better than the Wilson 5000.....that is bull crap. Maybe a couple of needle widths more, but not significant in the tests I ran. If the Sirio was significantly better, I would use one for the fold over feature.

I have a roof-mounted Wilson 5000 on my crew cab Silverado, its essentially in the middle of the roof...flat 1:1 SWR across 40 channels. I've ran magnetics on a lot of trucks, as close to the middle of the roof always seems to be the best location, regardless of cab configuration.

If you roof mount, look at drilling the roof about where the courtesy light is in the center of the roof...you can work through that opening (courtesy light) and fish the coax in without dropping the headliner. Took me all of an hour to install my Wilson.

I have to laugh about the reviews that say the P-5000 performs significantly better than the Wilson 5000.....that is bull crap. Maybe a couple of needle widths more, but not significant in the tests I ran. If the Sirio was significantly better, I would use one for the fold over feature.

I plan to see how much better the Sirio is...got one ordered to replace a working roof-mounted Wilson 5000. Curiosity killed the cat, I've read the same threads you have...just had to see for myself.

I've often wondered if the reported improvement is from the placement of the load? While they are both technically base-loaded, the Sirio is slightly elevated...I would wonder how the Sirio would compare to a Wilson 2000/5000 trucker on a 6" spacer?

Where did you find that? I have an idea...

Ground plane kits for Wilsons and Sirios are snake oil.
I tested a Sirio P-5000 and a Wilson 5000 on a Toyota Tacoma using a Wilson mag mount in the same exact location. The results showed the Sirio received and transmitted better......but a quarter of an S-unit gain in receive and a 2 needle width gain in transmit just doesn't justify the sheer size of the Sirio IMHO.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.