• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum 257 HP - good for 10 M use?

Turbo T

Certified CB Rambo
Feb 2, 2011
P5130051%20(Small).JPG

magnum257hp-back.jpg

Magnum-257HP-lg.jpg

I'm thinking about asking my wife to buy me one of these for Christmas, since high ticket items like this I only get at Christmas. As a holder of an amateur technicians license, I mainly run on 2 meters and 70 centimeters, but the opening of the 10 meter band has me wishing I had a 10 meter radio.

I've been wanting one of these for a while even before I became a ham. Would one of these be any good on 10 meters? Or should I look elsewhere?

The magnum 257HP Radio , is a 10 meter mobile radio, with sideband. I've never worked 10 meters before, so I'm not real sure on what radio i should get.

Thanks in advance.

Is it a decent radio?
No doubt!

It will provide xlnt SSB for 28.300 to 28.500mHz.
It also has a tone board and programmable repeater offsets for the FM/AM portion of 10M (Gen Ham Lic.).
Receive is xlnt. Might be noisy in an older car, but in a newer (non electric) car or used as a base radio it is xlnt. .

Last edited:
I just picked up a HP version off a board member here. I had an orange light version years ago that I wish I would have never let go. The only thing with this HP version at the damned blue backlighting. Other than that it is an awesome radio. Made quite a few stateside DX contacts in the mobile with only a little Wil.

Please take what you read there with a grain of salt.....as soon as someone describes the radio as a " hacked up HTX 10 /cb " the rest of the lions jump on the road kill wagon.
I wonder how many of the ones that talked the radio down has had one on the bench and tested the radio to see if it meets the reported "splatter box" discription?
= really love the coment about the TCXO....so all the rest of the rigs in the world that are not running one must be un fit for service as well.
:) ahhhhhh but it is a export ....no way the radio could be set up or operated properly.
I have been running a RCI 6900 F25 on 10 and 12 meters for a while now and I am sure if you go over there and ask the forum how well it works on ten meters they will tell you how it is garbage and that running the radio will be the end of ten meters as they know it.
Funny thing is while working the bands with it I get glowing audio reports and complements about how well the rig sounds.
You can take a 857D and change all the service menu settings then run it balls to the wall and wire a power mic to it and it will sound just as shitty and splatter just as bed as the "exports" can if operated improperly.
It is up to you as the operator of the radio to ensure the AMC/ALC of the radio is set up properly.
Not everyone can aford to go out and throw down $900 bucks on a new rig and if the radio is set up and run properly no one can tell the differance over the air.
I will keep running my ( OMG) export Radio on ten and twelve meters along with my ( OMG) cb junk Texas Star 500V amp. ( that meets spec because it was tested to ) and continue making many more awesome contacts on the bands for years to come
Any peice of equiptment can be abused and operated improperly on the bands....I do not care if it is buily by Yaesu or Ranger or Magnum.
I do get tired of guys that bash equiptment that they have never run....never tested and do not have a qlue about how well it works based on what they have been told on the Internet.
Just because some golden screwdriver jocky ripped the ALC out of one and runs it with the mic gain twised around 3 times is no way to judge how the radio will work if set up and operated properly.
These are probally the same guys that tune up there AL 80 on top of a pile up on ten meters because they are to stupid to use a dummy load.............

Off the soap box.

Jeff

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah Jeff, I know what you mean. After some more reading it looks as if I could also get a Radio Shack HTX-10 for a little less, that basically looks like a Magnum 257HP on the outside, only thing I've read so far are some of the internals are different.

I was actually planning on buying my radio new and running it stock...however the other thing I read are the 257HP's are very hot sellers and they don't stay in stock for long.

there are definitely some elitist over there ....... . some folks will gauge your worth as a human being based on your choice of radio equipment , and if you dont use something they would use then you're a idiot or moron or stupid etc. etc. etc.

Is it a decent radio?
No doubt!

It will provide xlnt SSB for 28.300 to 28.500mHz.

It also has a tone board and programmable repeater offsets for the FM/AM portion of 10M (Gen Ham Lic.).
Receive is xlnt. Might be noisy in an older car, but in a newer (non electric) car or used as a base radio it is xlnt. .

It doesn't provide xlnt SSB above 28.500 MHz??????;)

Well I made a DX contact on 29.600 FM with CU1CB from Spain at the beginning of this month and I am near Shitcago, so I would go above 28.500.

I used the 257HP on 10 meter with absolutely no problems. I had a magnet mount Wilson 1000 and no amp. Made contacts all over the place.

I've been wanting one of these for a while even before I became a ham. Would one of these be any good on 10 meters? Or should I look elsewhere?

The Magnum 257 HP, is a 10 meter mobile radio, with sideband. I've never worked 10 meters before, so I'm not real sure on what radio i should get.

Thanks in advance.

Is it a good 10 meter radio YOU BET YA ! I have several HTX-10's that I have run since the mid 1990's worked the world on them They are a GOOD starter radios work well on SSB and even work well on FM SIMPLEX but not on repeaters since many of them require a tone

NOW its not goiing to beat a TS-2000 or a FT-950 but it will give them a run for the money .....:D

Attachments

• station.jpg
    station.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 4
I have kerchunked a repeater or two with this radio.
It has the board.
Read the manual yourself here:

RPT: Repeater Access Tone. Most repeaters require
an 88.5 Hz tone burst to access. To activate the 88.5
Hz tone burst, press the FUNC control and then press
the RPT button. RPT will appear on the LCD indicating
that the tone burst will now automatically be transmitted
whenever the PTT is pressed. To deactivate, repeat
the same process.

NO it has a BURST tone board 99% of repeaters use CTCSS that use tone.

10-Meter Repeater Directory for North America

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.