• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum 257 HP - good for 10 M use?

RPT: Repeater Access Tone. Most repeaters require
an 88.5 Hz tone burst to access. To activate the 88.5
Hz tone burst, press the FUNC control and then press
the RPT button. RPT will appear on the LCD indicating
that the tone burst will now automatically be transmitted
whenever the PTT is pressed. To deactivate, repeat
the same process.

NO it has a BURST tone board 99% of repeaters use CTCSS that use tone.

10-Meter Repeater Directory for North America
I stand corrected.
Needless to say, it worked.

Thank you. A ham that agrees with me. I currently operate on 2 meters and 70 cm. I have always wanted to work HF but can't afford even the cheapest hf rig. The magnum 257 seems like the perfect rig. I don't plan on modding it. So the only problem I could see the eham folks having is It's not a yaesu Kenwood or icom. Don't get me wrong the big 3 make some mighty fine radios but not all of us starting out can afford that. Back when Radio Shack made ham gear it was cheap and simple. The HTX 100 was a good cheap get you on HF radio. I can see a big 3 10 meter radio someday with the usual hefty price tag that goes with it. I see no problem using the Magnum 257 on 10 meters as it was advertised. I wish the fcc would re read part 97 and sanction the sale of this radio for unmodified ham radio use. Plus as mentioned if this radio has repeater capability that seals the deal for me.

I use the older 357 Magnum in my dump truck for 10m and always had good audio comments. I do have my rx/tx clarifier locked together, I know that's a whole different debate. The 257 should be just fine. Same radio, the 357 has a 100w rf deck.

I wish the fcc would re read part 97 and sanction the sale of this radio for unmodified ham radio use. Plus as mentioned if this radio has repeater capability that seals the deal for me.

I have used the 257 for 10 meter use with great results.

There is nothing in part 97 or on the FCC website that says you cannot use that radio on 10 meter.

You can modify it to receive 11 meter and it is still legal, transmit on 11 meter with that radio though, not so much legal.

I have used the 257 for 10 meter use with great results.

There is nothing in part 97 or on the FCC website that says you cannot use that radio on 10 meter.

You can modify it to receive 11 meter and it is still legal, transmit on 11 meter with that radio though, not so much legal.

Will that radio receive without the mic plugged in? if not then it is illegal to have that radio receive 11 meters in a tx/rx rig.

Remember what they say, "smoke em if you got em"

I'm not sure about that, my TS-2000 could tx on 11 meter if desired, but that modification was the only way to get it to tx on 60 meter and it was a legal radio even when modified

nothing wrong with starting where you can

Well now. I feel a bit more amongst family. I was apprehensive about mentioning one of the uglier 10m exports I had in my start up shack as a newbie tech ticket ham .. by the way, not transistioning from CB or the CB pirates running modified 10m radios but, as was pointed out, many of us want to get on the air and don't have beaucoup bucks to spill into a hobby right now.

I was given a radio by a ham that just wanted to make that happen for me while I was collecting all the other pieces I would need to put together a decent shack. I care not for the garbage can echoes and noisemakers they put on these radios to attract the very people who shouldn't use them but they offer me a running jump without having to shell out big money I don't have right now.

BTW, the HTX 10 and 100 are great radios. I'd compare them to a start up house...only for first time HAM buyers. I think the Rangers are also respectable radios and great for trips.

Seven years ago, I collected a complete (and immaculate) Kenwood ts-830 station -- every peice of gear in the line. It has been boxed since then because my life took a turn and then I moved from Tennessee and ham paradise on 4 rural acres on a mountain to the mudflats of SE Texas in sudivision hell.

I am starting with a 10 meter dipole in the attic because it is all the space I have inside and I can't go outside. Being a tech, it enables me to make DX contacts which is what ham radio is all about (IMHO). 2 meters isn't very challenging and I don;t find that much activity on the non-repeater frequencies anyway.

I'd also like to be tripping up the magic band and am looking for a cheap (no such thing) 6 meter radio.

But as far as these export radios, it seems no disgrace to use them for what they are intended and have respect for the license you hold and the others you share the band with.

I hate the carnivalization of CB especially when it is enabled by manufacturers of radios that are not for unlicensed use.

Well my wish came true...wifey bought this for me. Now I need to get a 10 M antenna up to use it. Might have to revert to an outdoor dipole for a while, can't erect a 10 M antenna at this time. Though I'm not a big fan of dipoles. Sounds like some of you have had luck so far.

But as far as these export radios, it seems no disgrace to use them for what they are intended and have respect for the license you hold and the others you share the band with.

Excellent comment.
The goal is to get on the Air and many of the dreaded "exports" do the job just fine.

Jeff

Excellent comment.
The goal is to get on the Air and many of the dreaded "exports" do the job just fine.

Jeff

Good comment. Sometimes we'll slice, dice and dissect this way too much.
If it's what you have, get it on the air and enjoy. If you worry too much
and don't use it, then it's not working at all. If it doesn't work well enough for
you, then start adjusting things to get it where you want it. You'll learn and have some fun at the same time.

Legal as Ice cream, mic or no mic....same old song and dance.
The operator is responsible for transmitting in or out of band....don`t blame it on the radio.

Jeff

I'll give you an amen on that. Kind of like me owning a pistol does not mean I rob people with it!

RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.