• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum 257hp Garbage

pkmak12

Dec 19, 2011
Has anyone had problems with there Magnum 257HP?
I recently bought one from Walcott CB and it died out the first 10 minutes of use.
Walcott CB has been useless, no exchange or refund only warranty repair I was told.
If you do plan on getting a Magnum radio dont get it at Walcott CB, they dont want to know anything after they get your $$$ and good luck trying to get a return call from them.

All you have to do is call up RF Limited and get an "RO" to ship it to their authorized warranty repair and it gets fixed. Magnum customer service is #1. Ask anyone on this forum that had a problem with their radio and they will tell you the same. Can't speak poorly of Walcott's, as I never had any business with them yet. But they do have a loyal following. That does say something.

The radio is their now. The right thing to do was for Walcott to send me a replacement, since I only had the radio for 10 minutes and got it out to them right away.

I've had good luck with mine. Bought it second hand with blown finals. It has no SWR protection and was used on 10m with an 11m antenna. It was out of warranty, but "The Radio Shop" in Ontario, CA fixed it in two days for $75.

I just got another whip for my Wilson 5000 and cut it for 10m (where the radio gets 99% of it's use) and have had no issues with it at all. In fact it's talked up to 7000 miles with strong audio reports.

The right thing to do was for Walcott to send me a replacement, since I only had the radio for 10 minutes and got it out to them right away.
Wanting to see the radio was the right thing to do IMO. I wonder how often they hear "I never even keyed the thing and it blew up".

After they saw the radio they should have sent another out to me. Its been 2 weeks since I sent it back and Magnum has not looked at it yet.
I just ordered a RCI-2950 from Copper, I really think I got a lemon with the 257hp.

Copper has even worse customer service. And they are crooks at that. If you order your 2950 "un-touched" they keep the module that converts it.

As far as your 257 whats up with your antenna? Mosfet finals are very touchy on high SWR's. No matter though, Magnum will get it fixed up and back to you. I love my 257HP.

Reactions: 1 person
I've had my 257HP for about 6 months now and it has worked flawlessly.

Hope you get yours back soon... they are great little rigs.

RT307

re

ive had mine 2 months. its been to the repair center 2x so far
its on its way back here again. i hope 4 no more issues with it.
out of 2 months i got to use it for 1 week.i have had many magnum radios never had any problems until this 257hp

Did you use credit card? If so, do a charge back.

I have had a total of three 257' had trouble with 2 of them. Both were sent back for repair twice. A friend of mine ordered 2, one for each truck. First one was DOA. The other worked, but sounded like shit. It has been back so many times that he was told he would get an S45 for his troubles . Been x3 months and nothing yet.

Last time I talked to him I believe he directed a few profanities their way.

I think the biggest problems have been the external PA and modulator gizmos.

Shit, ya can't even skank a new S45 yet.

Last edited:
All you have to do is call up RF Limited and get an "RO" to ship it to their authorized warranty repair and it gets fixed. Magnum customer service is #1. Ask anyone on this forum that had a problem with their radio and they will tell you the same. Can't speak poorly of Walcott's, as I never had any business with them yet. But they do have a loyal following. That does say something.

I had an S-3 that went to a "authorized warranty repair center" in Tn. 4 times so the 5th time I mailed it anywhere was to the guy who bought it on ebay.

Reactions: 1 person
Some shops do their own warrenty repair work, I belive magnum does not allow this and that is why you have to send it to them. Never bought from Walcot can't say if they are good or bad. Good luck. As for the 2950 they are one great radio

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?