• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum 257hp Garbage

I have a friend that has 2 of them one in his pickup truck and one in hie over the road rig hes had not one problem out of them they both have been there for over a year. You would think the one he has in his over the road rig would be giving trouble but its just as good as the day we put it in the truck. Now he don't run them at full output all the time I feel that's where people get into trouble is by running them at 100% power output each and every time they are turned on. Sorry people I don't know what you have heard of what the manufactured says if they are ran at 100% power they will get hot sometimes too hot and they will cause problems.
Heck my IC 718 gets very warm if I don't give it a rest every so often I will start to notice my power output dropping down from 120 watts to 85 to 90 watts that's on CW my RCI 5054 DX 100 will get hot if I push it to the limit.

I just received a new 257HP for Christmas from G.I. Joes. I told my wife to tell them to mail it to my address as a virgin aka not opened up and peaked or tweaked or modified in any way aka as it left the factory. So far it looks like that's what I received as the radio is still packaged and the wrapper looks undisturbed. I can only hope it works out well. Looks like it gives you the option to work 10 meters to include repeaters plus any frequency from 25.165 to 28.699 except 10 meter repeaters.

If it is transmitting over that entire range the radio was opened up, from the factory the radio should only cover 10 meters.

If it is transmitting over that entire range the radio was opened up, from the factory the radio should only cover 10 meters.

That's what I've read, that there's a jumper board inside that gives you the option to set it for where it transmits. No I have yet to hook it up (no antenna right now) but I'm presuming it's still on the CON1 jumper.

You will not find any jumpers in there, Walcott has told me they are removed at the factory (cut off) so the radios can be importered into the US. I wanted mine strictly for 10 meter use, so it did not matter to me. The radio worked great for the first 10 minutes when I got it then it stopped transmitting...lol

You will not find any jumpers in there, Walcott has told me they are removed at the factory (cut off) so the radios can be importered into the US. I wanted mine strictly for 10 meter use, so it did not matter to me. The radio worked great for the first 10 minutes when I got it then it stopped transmitting...lol

Say what!

:eek:

Interesting, because according to Magnum 257 HP (High Power) 10 Meter Radio Review you can open the radio yourself and change the jumper around as shown here: http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/rflimited/omegaforce_s45_hp/graphics/omegaforce_s45_hp_info.pdf

So unless there's a new rash of radios not equipped with the jumper board...

P5130028%20(Small).JPG

P5130036%20(Small).JPG

There was an older version of this radio that was sold by Radioshack, called the HTX-10, looked every little bit like this radio....so I hear they didn't give you the option to convert it from strictly 10 M use to 11 M...perhaps you're confusing the two?

Guess in a few days I'll pull the cover and find out for sure.

I got a 257hp about a month ago and the pins on the jumper board were cut off. A resistor and a jumper were in place to have it in 10M mode permanently. I removed the jumper and moved the resistor as described on cbtricks, and it operates on all freqs, as expected. It's not complicated, but not as easy as moving a jumper.

I got a 257hp about a month ago and the pins on the jumper board were cut off. A resistor and a jumper were in place to have it in 10M mode permanently. I removed the jumper and moved the resistor as described on cbtricks, and it operates on all freqs, as expected. It's not complicated, but not as easy as moving a jumper.
That sort sounds like the vendor wants they cash from you for converting it and they are trying to make it harder for you to do it yourself.

That sort sounds like the vendor wants they cash from you for converting it and they are trying to make it harder for you to do it yourself.

Possible...?

But it also sounds like BIG Government is putting pressure on this export market to attempt some sort of control.

Last edited:
Well fellas, I'm afraid pkmak12 is right....I opened my radio and noticed they cut the white jumper pins off clean down to the board. Nothing left but the little metal nubs of the terminals.

On the back side they put on a blob of solder on the "CON1" terminals to keep it working in the 10 meter only mode. Maybe it's just the older 257's that have the ability for the user to change the frequencies. I'll bet the Omegaforce S45's have this same mod.

They might have made it a little more difficult to do the frequency conversion, but I'll bet all I need to do is unsolder the terminals they soldered, and then solder the ones I want. :D

Possible...?

But it also sounds like BIG Government is putting pressure on this export market to attempt some sort of control.

Well maybe this is a good thing....they should have been doing this all along with any export radio they sell. Nothing worse than hearing some idiot transmitting voice on 28.025 MHz about not having any panties on and that he's at some truck stop somewhere, especially when he does it with his roger beep on and his echo cranked up. All because he flipped the band switch over.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.