• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum 257hp Garbage

I also purchased one of the new version 257hp a month ago and so far it is a great radio for the price,, got mine from ebay seller namou for 219 shipped

Camaro1. Do you use the 257HP on 11 meter SSB? If so, what kind of output are you getting?

I was getting 40-50 peak on my meter,, I did turn the ssb alc up just a little and the power went to 60-70. it gets just warm but not hot. im happy with it where it is now and it sounds good on the other end

I like mine had it for a month and no issues so far, get good reports, clear audio, no bad reports yet. I have made. Few contacts. I get the usual turn it down from the truckers lol. But other than that its been a solid performer do far, I keep an a/c vent pointed at the back end of the radio keeps it cold as an ice box no heat issues here.

Those radios would be very happy to run 40 to 50 watts all day long. Seems when you crank them up to over 50 watts they do get hot and have issues. I know it is rated at 70 to 80 watts but they don't like to be that hot. Solder will melt, finals will overheat and back down the output, if you keep talking they will just blow, so really does 45 to 65 make that big a difference? Not where I come from, I like radios to last.

Attachments

• magnum 257 9-7-12-1.jpg
    magnum 257 9-7-12-1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 4
Tucker, to turn the power down on am, is all that is required is to turn the am power down?? I wouldn't mind turning mine down a bit as well, let it loaf along and not get hot. Thanks for any information. I think I read in the manual that this is what controls am power? But can't remember for sure, I guess it's time to find it and read it again. Anyway again thanks for any input and god bless.

Tucker, to turn the power down on am, is all that is required is to turn the am power down?? I wouldn't mind turning mine down a bit as well, let it loaf along and not get hot. Thanks for any information. I think I read in the manual that this is what controls am power? But can't remember for sure, I guess it's time to find it and read it again. Anyway again thanks for any input and god bless.

The only thing a non tech could do is adjust the AM carrier range. To adjust peak power you will have to have the proper equipment and know how.

Actually if you don't run the mic gain all the way you can control the SSB output also. With the back of the mic off, looking at the pot with the front of the mic on the table, I turn the pot all the way to the left then use the mic gain to control output with the mic gain control on the front of the radio. I have talked long QSO's at times and not going over 50 watts peak the RFX unit does get warm but not to where I can't touch it. If you notice the power starting to fall off give it a chance to cool off a little. That's the first indication that it's getting too hot.

Yeah I have put a good pico brushless fan on the bottom of the heat sink with the air blowing through it and our the top. I try to keep my carrier set at no more than 4 watts on am. I know you have to turn the power all the way up on ssb. Haven't had any heat issues thus far. I also keep an a/c vent pointed at the back end of the radio as well. I am enjoying this unit. Just wish I could turn the overall power down a bit. But with the fan on it it stays cold! I normally don't like to have to run a fan as to me it's a band aid, but it definitely helps with the temps. Radio has been solid so far, only time will tell if it holds up. Thanks for all the information and the help its much appreciated. God bless.

222DBFL that's funny I tired a fan on the back and didn't like the way it collected dust so I mounted it on the top to blow the dust to the floor. Sure makes the RFX75 work the same all the time

It surely does sir. No heat issues at all!!
Ice cold told the touch and I like it that way, no heat equals less efficiency loss.
I put the fan on the bottom because it spins so darn fast that it really does hurt when it accidentally gets touched by a finger lol. I have the bandaged thumb and middle finger to prove it!! I will say it makes one heck of a difference in temps as now it does not even get warm. I have it in the work van so keeping out of the way means putting on the bottom. Guess if I wanted to I could run some bolts through it and bolt the fan on the back, for now it's tie wrapped on and seems to work fine this way. No added noise either with the fan I am using. Brushless fans are the great!! Anyway, again thanks for all the information and god bless.

Yeah I have put a good pico brushless fan on the bottom of the heat sink with the air blowing through it and our the top. I try to keep my carrier set at no more than 4 watts on am. I know you have to turn the power all the way up on ssb. Haven't had any heat issues thus far. I also keep an a/c vent pointed at the back end of the radio as well. I am enjoying this unit. Just wish I could turn the overall power down a bit. But with the fan on it it stays cold! I normally don't like to have to run a fan as to me it's a band aid, but it definitely helps with the temps. Radio has been solid so far, only time will tell if it holds up. Thanks for all the information and the help its much appreciated. God bless.

just use the external rf power knob. should adjust power in all modes. and if so
it its not enough then ya can go inside and turn it down more.you DONT have
to keep rf power at max on ssb ,i got 2 magnums and rci i never use full output
on ssb if i would id burn up my 2 pill [lol]i dont care for fans either unless there installed
inside the radio by manufacture then maybe

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated