• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum Radios... anygood?

The Magnum OmegaForce is the best radio I ever owned. Not that I've owned hudreds of radios, but I did have some good ones. I think for what I paid for it - about $220 almost new - that it's hard to beat. The TopGun modulator is superb - IMO. It certainly gets out great and the need for running power locally is nonexistant.
I think Magnums are very good radios.
Top drawer...

MAGNUM

Magnum radios are good for 10 and 11 meters, audio is just great along with the power, and very stable, a good radio for communications on 10 and dx also on 11 meters for skip, you won't be disappointed.Magnum 257.

DOCTOR/795

i have the Omegaforce, Deltaforce, S-9, and M-1.....all are top notch radios, topgun is great to have when you want to use it, just leave it off with amps. Magnum radios are a great am/ssb combo. with Galaxy you get BIG AM POWER and a drifty ssb situation. with RCI 2950 you get ssb stability of a ham rig, but not that big booming audio, more of a clean sound. the S9/Omegaforce give you that awesome audio, and decent ssb stability and clarity. Magnums are some of my favorites, good stuff for sure

On the other side of that coin, I wouldn't give you the time of day for either a Mini or a Millinium and if someone came at me offering any Magnum with Nitro Knobs I'd run untill I had a heart attack. I get enough interference in my mobile installation already from trailer cords and clearance lights, that I don't feel a need to add to it with dirty contact rings for pretty knobs.

Yea they make some pretty good radios, depending on the model.

i love my magnums.my only regret was not getting one
sooner.as others said ya get stable ssb and good am audio
plus with the 257/omegaforce ya can save the channel and mode
as well.

you gotta watch runnin a amp with a magnum also..alot of people have burned up a lot of amps with these radios..you can get em to dk 1 watt but they still swing at least 30..very touchy clarifiers also..almost impossible to clarify in the mobile..much better drift wise though than a galaxy . if it wasnt for rangers white noise , ranger would have em all beat .on ssb anyways .

Last edited:
you gotta watch runnin a amp with a magnum also..alot of people have burned up a lot of amps with these radios..you can get em to dk 1 watt but they still swing at least 30..very touchy clarifiers also..almost impossible to clarify in the mobile..much better drift wise though than a galaxy . if it wasnt for rangers white noise , ranger would have em all beat .on ssb anyways .

my omegaforce only goes 2or 3 kcs either way from the factory.thasts not
mucjh at all.magnum has ranger beat every way they do more output
haver actual s-meters.cleaner recieve.and they save the mode and freq.
a very nice feature.ive never experienced any drift and i got 2 ssb magnums
plus magnums is good on am/ssb not just one or the other.yes a 2pill is not
a wise choice.a straight 4pill is better like a ts500v

my omegaforce only goes 2or 3 kcs either way from the factory.thasts not
mucjh at all.magnum has ranger beat every way they do more output
haver actual s-meters.cleaner recieve.and they save the mode and freq.
a very nice feature.ive never experienced any drift and i got 2 ssb magnums
plus magnums is good on am/ssb not just one or the other.yes a 2pill is not
a wise choice.a straight 4pill is better like a ts500v

i drive a 2 pill all day long. 2 x 2sc2879.......throw a 3 watt dk at it and never look back

Hey! I have a Magnum Delta Force,its a great radio in my opinion!(y) Everyone i talk to says that it is very loud and has lots of swing behind it! I am using it for a base unit for now till I can get my 2517 and then i am just going to leave it alone so i can use it when ever i want.:D I would reccomend one of these radios to anyone who is looking for a strong radio that is very user friendly!(y) Well anyways thats all i can think of so I hope this helps! Have a good one and keep on keepin on!(y)

I only know one guy that owned an S9, and it was in the shop for repairs every week...he was a slip-seater though.

He sounded very loud within a few miles, but as soon as you cross a certain point, he would literally fall off. Probably had a low carrier and a lot of swing???

I only know one guy that owned an S9, and it was in the shop for repairs every week...he was a slip-seater though.

He sounded very loud within a few miles, but as soon as you cross a certain point, he would literally fall off. Probably had a low carrier and a lot of swing???
Never had mine in the shop; but I've only been running it less than a month. Runs cool w/o a fan too...

I get out thirty miles and hit a guy with S9+; he has a Super-Penetrator antenna 40 ft up and I have an IMAX 2000 30 ft up.

If that guy you are listening to starts to fall off after a few miles; blame your mobile radio/antenna that's recieving it - or you are the one that has moved into a poorer position to recieve. Make no doubt about it, these Magnum radios talk fantastic.
(y)

If that guy you are listening to starts to fall off after a few miles; blame your mobile radio/antenna that's recieving it - or you are the one that has moved into a poorer position to recieve. Make no doubt about it, these Magnum radios talk fantastic.
(y)

I can hear the other guys he's chatting with...and that bunch runs nothing more than barefoot Unidens and Cobras...I'll hear them long after I lose him. He's loud right up until I lose him, then I start to hear the rest of the group chatting with him.

Its not me, its his radio.

I was given a Magnum 257 blue for doing some work for a friend and it is a great radio that really talks. It was power stroked :headbang when he bought it new and did not like the way it talked, too brassy for him. I detuned it and used it for about a year now. Super on SSB and power on AM! But not overly so now. I plan on giving it back to him on his birthday this year as he really liked his original amber 257.

mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.