• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum S9 W.T.F?

skirtchaser

Sep 18, 2005
N.Western Arizona
Im sitting here relaxing after a gruling week of exposure to the general motoring public and I was thinking.....
Last week I heard a guy babbling on and on about religion up on the 99 in central california. He had a virtual lockdown on the channel for over an hour (proximity was a factor I believe) I finally got him to answer me regarding what kind of rig he was spouting on. He said it was a magnum s9. Now this fella was definetly a P.I.T.A. so no credit issiued for his character (I'm pretty sure I'm going to hell, but I realy don't need him to inform me why) Perhaps it was and perhaps it was not but that thing was simply put....BODACIOUS. Not to overly modulated (well....mabee a little by the audiophile standards frequently levied on this forum, but...), and it seemed to have a unique timbre and tone that I found kind of interesting.
What is it with these rigs, and why do they seem to produce such a varriation of emotions regarding their usefulness/quality. Litterally a <they suck to a >their great reaction.
You ever notice that ?

The new Magnum radio's seem to be selling great and sounding great. It all depends on who you talk to, and if it's a techs opinion it all depends on what they like working on. For every person who slams the Top Gun it seems there are 10 who love it. A properly tuned Magnum is hard to beat.

linearone said:
I just recently sold one of my Yaesu's. It took about 8 months to sell. I approached the owner of an S-9 with the yaesu ( ft-101b) told him $300. His response...
"$300! I thought you were selling it cheap? I mean come on Greg, it ain't no Magnum!"

To that I replied,

"You are 100% right, It ain't no magnum..."
:gdlf :gdlf :gdlf :gdlf :gdlf

I have had one now for 6 months and it always gets great reports,I run it with a Ranger SRA-158 mic and get nice clear audio with lotsa contacts made on SSB and AM.However,I will say that the knobs flimsy feeling leaves something to be desired.However,I really have been using my 2950dx more and more lately for SSB,but that is a whole other discussion.

I have never heard a Magnum S9 so I am not going say it is good or bad,,,,,,,,,

I will listen for one though on 3.885 mhz AM and let everyone know my opinion.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.