• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum S9

Butcher318 said:
I have been running a Delta Force for 4 years now and have tried to find something that all the locals say sounds better, so far no luck. I have tried a Galaxy 45MP, Galaxy 99, Magnum S9, Magnum S3, and a Cobra 148 GTL DX+. Each time I would run the two side by side and the Delta was the winner every time on the air.

The Galaxy 95T2 does seem like an exellent radio along with the 2970.

Iwas very pleased with the reports of the clear loud modulation on my Delta Force, probably the best iv had stock but the receive especially on FM was not even close to my 2950DX/2995DX

Yes, at the time it was one of the best radios I ever owned.....Out of the box it was crap and I was really disappointed in it. After Justin did his work on it, it was a good radio but the quality of the radio, just as all other Magnums, sucks at best. There are much better radios out there to spend $320 on. Butcher....You still pissed off because you are dumb enough to believe the "Top Gun" actually works?? "A fool and his money are soon parted"

Actually i'm not mad at anything. Like I said, you seemed very happy with your S9 and now you say they are junk. I still have not actually tried a radio with Top Gun but I have heard plenty on the air. The S3 I tried had it removed and the S9 I had was sold right away for a profit.

Trust me, I wish now I would have just sold that S3 here on the forum and not told anyone that the speech processor and Top Gun had been yanked out. I should have just sold it as a Justin Tuned S3, said it does 51 watts, and left it at that.

Ya live and learn, take care.

smalltiredart, lol....I just clicked your link, and that was the exact point I was trying to make. Very good research on finding that old post.

i dont see why you need another radio anyway you have quite a collection but as for a real fine radio you wont beat a ranger rci 2950 dx man those radios were built to last there way ahead of the rest of the export radios in my oppinion

Butcher318 said:
smalltiredart, lol....I just clicked your link, and that was the exact point I was trying to make. Very good research on finding that old post.

I'm glad you remembered too.... 8)

magnum s-9

I have had, and still have, several of the radio's listed so far. The one I use everyday, and like the best for Am, is the Magnum s-9. I haven't found any radio that has the vocal authority of the s-9, when adjusted right.
I have noticed that most of the people, who I know, that use Magnums, give 2 responses when starting to use them.

1. If they read the instruction manual and spend the time learning the radio contols, they love them.

2. If they didn't read the book, they take longer to really find out what the radio's can do.

Either way, I don't personally know anyone who has used one, who doesn't still use it. I've sold dozens over the last couple years. I also have yet to see anyone sell one, after buying it. I never have had a used one for sale in the shop.

Just my experience.
marven :D :D

Marven, thats because they rock. Still one of the better sellers out there. Our local shop can't keep em on the shelf. It's all in who you have set them up

Any of the "Blue light " radios draw attention at the "Shops"...I had tx problems with my S-3 and brought it to the "local shop" ( Berubes ;) ...Mr Connex )....

I told him what was going on and then started walking around his store ( chrome shop..big boys toys :D :D ;) )..

When I came back to the "Radio" side of the shop ,he was answering questions from 3-4 different people on "how to get one " to "I want blue lights"....." that thing is loud,but clear...how come"?? He had the talk back about 1/2 :crystal clear :D 8)

Biggest plus for me,broken wire in my RK-56 ( easy fix,he says ;) ) puts it on the scope ( ok there too :D ) And away I go.....$10.00 lighter BUT a happy camper.....

Did I tell you I LIKE MY MAGNUM S-3 8) ;) ;) And these take a beating..mine rides around in a "MACK" office ;) :D :D

Snoope back quiet

frmboybuck said:
The 95T would be my first choice for an export type "CB"....I have one and am very happy with it.
I'll second that.
I had my heart set on an S-980 if they ever got released. I'm glad I made the choice I did.
I've never owned another export, but I did look at MANY of them. The shop I bought from has S9s, S6's, S680's, and several Galaxys along with a few other brands.
He pushed the Magnums, which did seem very nice to me. I love the looks, and LOTS of guys run them around here. The feedback I have seen all over the country is often to the contrary.

Butcher318,

I think you and Marven "HIT IT" straight on....Who sets up your radio can be the biggest factor in a P.O.S. or a quality unit.. ;) :D :D ....

Not looking for "Roses" or "Crap" on this BUT:

My S-3 is from the "Quack"..great service and price (Larry and Pete will answer their phones ;) :) :) )..Only drawback...having to send it out But in todays world ;we ship everything...

2nd Magnum - an S-9...was purchased from "Bobs '''( in PA. ;) :D ) great customer service and best thing is he stands behind these radios.. ( this one had an SWR problem :oops: :oops: )..He walked the owner thru finding the problem ( antennas were shorting things out :x ) ,warranty work and out of the "Bigger radio" list....( we must use factory POWA leads.no extra wires in cabs :shock: ;) .Computer glitches on our new motors)..
Again only drawback is UPS/Fedex factor....

If I could convince "Berubes" to become a Magnum factory shop :D :D :D ..another day I guess...

I know this is a Magnum thread but our "Connex" guys use "Berubes" or 8541 (this shop kicks butt with CS,turn around time and prices.....never mind great work ;) ) just wish he was in NH instead of NC ;)

Snoope back quiet

s-9

I realise I may be getting a little off topic here, but having said that. ha Here goes.
I have also noticed a trend with people asking the question, " why would I want to know who set up the radio?".

I believe that the other satisfied and proud radio operators are telling us who is doing the quality work.

I also think the shops who don't like some particular radio, is usually due to the tech's inability to get them setup and make them perform.

I have noticed that the drivers, farmers, or even kids, who really like a particular radio seem to base this on how they percieve the radio is liked by others hearing it. And don't seem to actually realise, that the tech who was in it is resposible. Good or bad, the credit should belong primarilly to the tech.

The point I'm trying to make is that most people aren't really picking a radio for what's inside it. Except for maybe some little feature, or color of lights. I really wish more people would educate themselves to shop less like raccoons ( go for it, it's shiny.), and actually take the time to see what the true differences are.

I do realise though, not everyone can side by side compare most radios. At least not the way most shop owners and techs can. I'm just appalled at the number of so called techs who parrot something they read, and never researched.

I'm convinced that that is the reason so much disinformation and misconceptions persist.

Well, thread hijack compete. Just my .002 cents.
marven :roll:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.