• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MARS and CAP Modifications

I propose that "we" start calling it what it is: Removing the TX inhibitor. or, if that doesn't suit, making your HF rig into a General Coverage Transceiver. There are very few, if any, "MARS/CAP" mods that simply unlock the MARS or CAP frequencies.

With almost any modern rig, you are simply disabling the circuitry that activates the TX INHIBIT function of the CPU.

I had a Facebook Marketplace ad for my FTM-100DR tagged as illegal. I had it listed as MARS/Capped. I'm thinking that's what problem was. Some old man sent me a message earlier. He didn't inquire about the radio. He just introduced himself and told me his MARS callsign and his regular call.

I told him if was interested in the radio to come look.

Sounds like he reported my post. I just relisted it omitting the mod.

I had a Facebook Marketplace ad for my FTM-100DR tagged as illegal. I had it listed as MARS/Capped. I'm thinking that's what problem was. Some old man sent me a message earlier. He didn't inquire about the radio. He just introduced himself and told me his MARS callsign and his regular call.

I told him if was interested in the radio to come look.

Sounds like he reported my post. I just relisted it omitting the mod.
I was interested in purchasing a ftdx 1200 (in the past.) I changed my mind as I do own a ft-950 that I haven't even played with for more than about an hour. And mostly used it to listen to the HF bands. Then I was possibly interested and looking at the ftdx 1200. Now I am considering the ftdx3000. Every time I see one available on eBay that doesn't include the Mars cap modification in its description I always ask the seller if that modification has been performed. I have asked the same question about other HF transceivers two other eBay sellers who also did not mention whether that modification was performed or not. I'd say that 30% of the transceivers I've had interest in in the past that did not include the Mars modification in the description have had it performed once I asked the cellar that specific question. I really find it laughable that someone would actually report a seller for adding that modification in the description. there are hundreds and hundreds of illegal amplifiers being sold on eBay on a monthly basis. And those auctions run through beginning to end. With the item either being sold or relisted after no interest was shown. Unbelievable!

It's not so bad now, but ebay had thousands of police. Almost impossible trying to sell a 2950 or anything. There was a magical list that was sent to ebay which contained all the forbidden radios and amps. Can't remember his name, but an attorney on here filed a lawsuit on Rangers behalf and won.

BTW, I haven't seen him post for a long time.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Shoda is his name here on the forum.
Yes that is why ranger can now sell new 10/12 meter radios on flea bay.
I bought my last new Hr 2510 from HRO when they were closing them out.
That now "famous" list that was sent to flea bay was total bullshit written by a FCC field agent that was confused as to what a " legal" radio was.
I have a copy of the e mail somewhere were he even stated that if they were going to go after Ranger then the Big 3, Kenwood, Yaesu, and Icon might be in the same boat because some of there radios were just as easy to mod for out of band operation.
People still dredge up that list from time to time but it is a crock full of it.
Lol the FCC got there hand slapped by the Judge for with holding info in the case that did, in the end, prove that they were confused about what was and was not legal.
Some of the old members here may rember John Mahony that owned Panther Electronics.
When 9/11 happened and communications went to hell in NY he was contacted by FEMA and supplied them with expanded RCI 2970 radios that were paid for by the feds.
At one time there was a copy of the original invoice posted right here on this forum.
Legal as Ice cream.
The FCC lost that round.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.