• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MARS and CAP Modifications

gigaparts charged me 75$ to do my icom 7300
i could have done it myself. but the eyed are not so good anymore. smt
parts are way to small for me.
I regularly use cheap 3.25 power reading glasses. I have a ton of them lying around. I put on two pair when I work on SMT components, one pair on top of the other. Sounds crazy I know, but the trick works for me. When I need even more magnification, I also have a pair of special order 8 power glasses that I bought for $20.

i am not good with smd parts, if is was older stuff i can do. but no experience with smt parts i did not want to brick my brand new radio.
so i did not mind the 70 dollars..

Reactions: Ranch55
I propose that "we" start calling it what it is: Removing the TX inhibitor. or, if that doesn't suit, making your HF rig into a General Coverage Transceiver. There are very few, if any, "MARS/CAP" mods that simply unlock the MARS or CAP frequencies.

With almost any modern rig, you are simply disabling the circuitry that activates the TX INHIBIT function of the CPU.

I propose that "we" start calling it what it is: Removing the TX inhibitor. or, if that doesn't suit, making your HF rig into a General Coverage Transceiver. There are very few, if any, "MARS/CAP" mods that simply unlock the MARS or CAP frequencies.

With almost any modern rig, you are simply disabling the circuitry that activates the TX INHIBIT function of the CPU.

Also with current regulations modified amateur radios no longer meet CAP technical requirements.

I understand this radio has so many bells and whistles. I just use it in 11 meters.. I don't know all of the functions even thought I read the manual...
I don't know if they're available for free download but those laminated shortcut cards seem like a good deal.
There's an eBay seller who offers one for just about every insanely confusing menu driven transcivers.
The cards show in an easy to understand format what does what.
For $20(?) I think they're worth it.
Everything is layed out in large print color coded directions. Short cut cards aren't what they're officially called, but I can't recall the correct name for them. If I owned one of those need to take a class in order to learn what every button does hf's I'd buy the card.
I'd need it!

I don't know if they're available for free download but those laminated shortcut cards seem like a good deal.
There's an eBay seller who offers one for just about every insanely confusing menu driven transcivers.
The cards show in an easy to understand format what does what.
For $20(?) I think they're worth it.
Everything is layed out in large print color coded directions. Short cut cards aren't what they're officially called, but I can't recall the correct name for them. If I owned one of those need to take a class in order to learn what every button does hf's I'd buy the card.
I'd need it!
https://www.gigaparts.com/nifty-accessories-mm-ft450d.html

I understand this radio has so many bells and whistles. I just use it in 11 meters.. I don't know all of the functions even thought I read the manual...
I owned an ft950. After it sat unopened for months I decided to give it to my brother for his birthday. It's probably one of the least cluttered looking HF as far as the front panel went. I just enjoy using my Uniden Madison for SSB, and after 7 months or so of the ft-950 sitting there I I wasn't going to use it. I did did consider getting one of these shortcut card before I figured I was never going to use the trade see her anyway. Unfortunately I don't know how to share
I owned an ft-950 for approximately 7 months. I finally decided to open the box and take a look at the it. After taking a a look at it i emediately thought I'd just stick with my Uniden Madison for SSB. I gave the transceiver to my brother as a birthday gift. I was truly intimidated by the YouTube Clips I watched of people using the transceiver. I thought stickstick with my Uniden Madison was the way to go. Those menu-driven transceivers can be intimidating. If I ever purchase another HF I will alsoa buy one of these helpful laminated data cards. They offer an easy option as opposed to trying to figure out how everything works using the hard to understand owners manual. This one is specifically for the 450. It will help you figure out what all those buttons and knobs are for not to mention the the screen and it's confusing menus. Unfortunately I don't know how to share an eBay item or seller but this picture might give you a head start If you decide that you want to work that transceiver to its full potential, and purchase one.
Screenshot_20180307-152605.jpg

Use a Circuit writer pen. It's like liquid paper but conductive. No soldering. It takes longer to open up the package the pen comes in than to mod this radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated