• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MARS System

parttimehammer

Jun 26, 2011
Can someone explain if the MARS system is still active and how I would go about accessing it as an amateur operator? I live in Orange County, CA

You can't use the MARS system as an Amateur operator. Only licensed MARS operators can operate on MARS frequencies or use the MARS network systems. Any amateur operator CAN use the winlink system, however.

If you're interested in joining MARS, let me know and I can get you started.

Can someone explain if the MARS system is still active and how I would go about accessing it as an amateur operator? I live in Orange County, CA

First make sure you understand what MARS is and are prepared to devote some time to the training involved. I started as a trainee when I lived in Indiana but couldn't finish due to my divorce. I'm sure Moleculo will get you going in the right direction.

Did lots of operating when I was in the Navy though at NNN0NHA in Norfolk. Mostly phone patches to ships afloat the Gulf.

Most of the time you will not find them frequencies online, I guess it is considered a "need to know" basis?

I heard MARS activity on 4.007 USB though

Most of the time you will not find them frequencies online, I guess it is considered a "need to know" basis?

I heard MARS activity on 4.007 USB though

..... yes, it is a need to know basis.

iv also heard mars activity on 4mhz

Last edited:
After 911 happened, the frequencies got depublished. It's not really a secret as you can scan around and find them but they're not allowed to be distributed or published to the public. Heck, we're not even allowed to say the frequencies on the air - we have to use a "name" that is assigned to each one now.

partimehammer,

The basic requirements for Navy-Marine Corp. MARS are these:

• Must be 18 years old or older
  • Must be a U.S. Citizen or legal Resident Alien
  • Must hold an Amateur radio license unless you are Active Duty and meet certain requirements
  • Must possess a station capable of operating HF (note, this does not mean that you need a General or higher license class, but it helps)
  • Must complete a training course within 90 days of signing up (time frame starts when you're issued your trial license)
  • Must meet the minimum participation requirements, which is 18 hours per quarter, 12 of which must be on the air time (a 1/2 hour HF net counts as 1 "on the air" hour)
Army and Air Force MARS have their own requirements, which I'm not familiar with.

Let me know if you're interested in signing up and I'll email you the application with instructions on where you can send it.

After 911 happened, the frequencies got depublished. It's not really a secret as you can scan around and find them but they're not allowed to be distributed or published to the public. Heck, we're not even allowed to say the frequencies on the air - we have to use a "name" that is assigned to each one now.

WOW a lot has changhed since I used to instruct operators and run the MARS shack on many of the flat tops I was stationed aboard.

Good to hear that the MARS is still up and running, although AT&T had installed phones on board the ships, at $1 a minute any one can go to the ships store buy a prepaid phone card and call home, EMCOM conditions providing of course.

WOW a lot has changhed since I used to instruct operators and run the MARS shack on many of the flat tops I was stationed aboard.

Good to hear that the MARS is still up and running, although AT&T had installed phones on board the ships, at $1 a minute any one can go to the ships store buy a prepaid phone card and call home, EMCOM conditions providing of course.

The mission has changed significantly since then. There is less focus on providing health & welfare traffic to the troops; that is now a secondary mission. MARS' mission now is to provide a national backup communications capability in case of emergency.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.