• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Materials for the Moxon

HomerBB

Jan 4, 2009
Rogers, Ar
Winter will be on us again soon. I don't want to be out in the cold walking the 4 element Yagi around with a cord as I presently do when I want to turn the house around.
I have used a variety of antennas, and prefer a horizontally polarized beam for DX work. I opted for putting up another 11 meters Moxon. My TV rotor handles it with no problems whatsoever.

I wanted a 100% aluminum model, but didn't want to spend the milk money on it, and wanted it to be a homebrew.

I went to the local Salvation Army Thrift Store an bought one of these for $5 -

cfa5a6d9-2c7e-41d0-974b-8d64e187caec_zpsed06783c.jpg

I cut it up like this -

e69e1f50-5250-4809-891d-e84efb7afa83_zps21ae3187.jpg

then bought four 6' x 3/4" sticks of aluminum tubing for around $9 each from a local hardware -

71b7384c-5d0f-4e3b-aeda-317e9f79e70e_zps69834e01.jpg

bought some SS hose clamps, and put them together like this -

c9ea67b9-fa1b-42f8-b383-9a628fc53e88_zps40458be6.jpg

e79d6ec5-1b56-497c-b0dc-81ff2ec72c6f_zpsbabf6ac6.jpg

Each of the models I've made have worked well, however, I must say that the much touted backdoor rejection reported for the Moxon is the most pronounced on this one compared to the others. At 30' up in the air I am able to reduce a loud 5 bar signal on my RCI2950 to a single bar low level signal directly in the back of the antenna, and reduce it to a no bar nearly inaudible signal on either of the back corners. It is as wide banded as reported, and gets me in the DX game so far for the little that I am hearing when near the radio. Of course, it is much quieter than the vertical EFHW I have had up for months.

Last edited:

It seems to do well. Over the last day and a half there has been mostly Mexico in there, and an idiot mocking Dr Martin Luther King. It is with pleasure that I can pretty much shut them down while holding onto the Northwest, or the Northeast where the little bit of skip is coming from lately.
Ironically, my mobile is still sitting in the mud to the USA, but making small trips into the UK. By the time I'm home from work there is no UK to attempt with the base.

Dude, you continue to amaze me! Congrats on the new antenna. Can't wait to see what else you've got up your sleeve through the winter. (y)

Brett

Reactions: 1 person
Two thumbs-up HOMER ! Thanks for posting it for us to share , i,ve been collecting aluminum crutches in hope of brewing-up a 3 element beam over the winter , still on dial-up too slow for posting pics of my projects. Hope to get up to speed soon ! later Bob.A.

What gave you the idea to look for a walker? How thick is it's tubing ? (y)
I have used crutches to make Yagi elements. After my antenna got off the crutches the walker was all it needed. Next maybe a cane, and then my RF will walk without any antenna at all . . .

Okay, seriously, I look for aluminum from any source, and a ready made corner for the Moxon loop was simply a logical leap of the imagination in the make up of the walker.

Tubing is 3/4" ID, and fits snugly inside the walker parts.

Dimensions:

0413_zps00c8024b.jpg

No, I didn't put the analyzer on it and fine tune the dimensions, so the exact point of resonance is unknown to me.
I did, however, point it directly at Scotland and the exact point of contact was right there. ;)

Dimensions:

0413_zps00c8024b.jpg

No, I didn't put the analyzer on it and fine tune the dimensions, so the exact point of resonance is unknown to me.
I did, however, point it directly at Scotland and the exact point of contact was right there. ;)

Homer, here is my model of your older Moxon from a while back that was tuned to resonance. I modified it to your newer dimensions with another model to see how they compare.

This might give you a clue where your new model might be in resonance...since you didn't check it with your 259b. If you do check it with your 259B later, please let me know how close the new model is in frequency to your real world results. I fixed both models to .625" in diameter.

I posted a recap at the bottom of my notes, for both models over Real Earth, and in Free Space.

I added my Exnec dimensions to both models for your information.

It looks like the new model is a bit lower in frequency, and I did not try and retune it.

View attachment Recap of Homer's Moxon Old and New.pdf

Thnx, Marconi. I'll try to get that done. I had only a small window of time to get it together and up in the air. I'll double check all dimensions for any errors and test it with the 259b.

here is the same diagram cleaned up, but made for me by a friend:

moxon_zps7b2a376a.jpg

Last edited:
That looks good Homer.

You may see a little difference in resonance since I used .625" elements, and I think you used .75"> inch. I also didn't account for your dimensions being to the outside of the tubing all around. You will probably see some difference also due to using a feed line, the bandwidth should show to be much better.

I vaguely remember back when you made you first Moxon that you posted there was some discussion about the Moxon calculator used. What version did you decide to use here?

MoxGen

I used it on the previous model, and just matched the dimensions of this one to it by laying the parts side-by-side

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.