• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maximum Swing Power?

Not many of us could put a installation up for 100's of kilowatts at home or in the mobile.
A good asymmetrical modulation works really well for low power systems.

I agree. Around 120% modulation gives you an advantage when the ssb qrm is out in full force and does not distort too badly in a typical receiver.

Most do not have the capability to do this correctly. The negative peaks will baseline when they try to exceed 100%. With a basic cb set and most ham rigs it's best to stick to 100%.

Audio processing helps tremendously but is out of most people's grasp. It's not practical for the guy that wants to plug a mic into his cb and talk on it.

Turned my mobile on this morning while headed to the store. S9 bleedover on all 40, all modes. Completely wiped out my receive.

I backed off the RF gain, and flipped over to AM. Finally found the guy...(wasn’t very easy as he didn’t sound significantly better on the right frequency than he did in bleedover mode).

He was giving radio setup advice to another guy...who couldn’t understand him.

I think the second guy overlooked the obvious...who would take set up advice from someone who is intelligible?

I think people are used to hearing the "big stations" sound this way. Some believe high power will always bleed and it's normal for it to sound distorted when you're too close to them.

The guy I mentioned used to sound so bad he was hard to understand. Half of the group complained about his audio and the other half thought it sounded awesome.

I think people are used to hearing the "big stations" sound this way. Some believe high power will always bleed and it's normal for it to sound distorted when you're too close to them.

The guy I mentioned used to sound so bad he was hard to understand. Half of the group complained about his audio and the other half thought it sounded awesome.

And then add in the perception that modulation limiters, filters, and even fuses are there to keep you from “getting out”.

The folks I heard this morning, one was asking how to set mic gain on the radio, as well as a power mic of some sort...”all the way to the right”.

I agree. Around 120% modulation gives you an advantage when the ssb qrm is out in full force and does not distort too badly in a typical receiver.

Most do not have the capability to do this correctly. The negative peaks will baseline when they try to exceed 100%. With a basic cb set and most ham rigs it's best to stick to 100%.

Audio processing helps tremendously but is out of most people's grasp. It's not practical for the guy that wants to plug a mic into his cb and talk on it.
I have all of the gear necessary to do the audio signal processing. Compressors, equalizers, additional amplifiers for plate modulation and so on.
The only problem if I put all of this gear in my mobile, the wife has to ride in the bed of the truck and I can't get a word out on the radio.

I always ran a big carrier on AM, no matter what anyone said about “swing”.
It don't mean a thing if you ain't got that swing... Do wop do wop.

It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)
Duke Ellington, Rosemary Clooney, André Previn, Claude Bolling, Mundell Lowe, Louis Armstrong, Teres…
It don't mean a thing
If it ain't got that swing
(doo wah, doo wah, doo wah, doo wah
Doo wah, doo wah, doo wah, doo wah)
It don't mean a thing
All you got to do is sing
It makes no diff'rence
If it's sweet or hot
Just give that rhythm
Ev'rything you got
Oh, it don't mean a thing
If it ain't got that swing

Not many of us could put a installation up for 100's of kilowatts at home or in the mobile.
A good asymmetrical modulation works really well for low power systems.

Nothing wrong with assy-mod when done properly and too a point. My point was that if it was all that great the big guys with money ( and huge expenses) would have been doing it instead of laying down a big carrier that eats power consumption as requires bigger transformers etc.

What's this Swing Stuff?
IF YOU AIN'T MAULING YOUR BAWLING!
lol!
Back in the day, before the Yaesu's sat on my desk
I had a heavily modified President Dewight D with a outbord speech processor/ compressor, going into a JB12, driving a 300A with a PDL II antenna.
I was singing the swing thing.
But the signal was a football field wide.
I learned a few things about bandwidth after several complaints.
There is a point were to much, is too much.

Jeff

One phenomenon I remember from 25 years or so back when the "swang thang" was the new obsession. If you heard someone at the edge of his transmit range with too little carrier, the audio would appear above the noise level with each word. Between syllables, the noise would jump up, and then down with each word. The engineer types call this "pumping".

Anyone who asked how much carrier he needs got a simple answer. Enough carrier that the noise level drops at the other end when you key the mike and the noise level comes back up when you unkey. Turn the carrier below that level and all that swing now works against you for anyone listening that far away.

Nothing wrong with assy-mod when done properly and too a point. My point was that if it was all that great the big guys with money ( and huge expenses) would have been doing it instead of laying down a big carrier that eats power consumption as requires bigger transformers etc.
Like you said nothing wrong, except for the DEEP POCKETS for gear and utility bills.

Lots of good stuff in here from everyone. Really digging this thread. I wish more people knew these kinds of things, it would make my ears a lot happier. My local area has some real wild sounding stuff on the air.

My favorite response to people, that I hear locally, that try to say that higher power always sounds distorted or that it always splatters into the adjacent channels is to tell them to tune their stereo to AM 1020 and listen to how clear and intelligible it sounds. Then I tell them to tune to 1010 & 1030 and to notice the complete absence of bleed over. They usually go silent after being told that the KDKA transmitter runs 50,000 watts and is only about 20 miles away. Sometimes they try to come up with nonsensical explanations, but mostly just silence. :ROFLMAO:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated