• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maxmod...for real?

TES

Jan 11, 2020
Hello, New guy here...I have a noob type question concerning an upgrade/mod for the AT 6666 I put in my wife's car am I in the right place?

I am beginning to get that impression. The 6666 I guess, is known to pop the finals in time. I don't know #$&@ about any of this radio electronics stuff but I'm not afraid to learn and I learn best by a hands-on approach. it's not a high dollar radio so forget the fear factor. I purchased a matched set of ERF2030+ 's to replace the exiting transistors if/when they pop. I can smell the 'snake oil' but wonder if this maxmod would be a good driver or maybe something else?

Any guidance or explanations would really be appreciated, Thank you

Reactions: KC9RLK
I am beginning to get that impression. The 6666 I guess, is known to pop the finals in time. I don't know #$&@ about any of this radio electronics stuff but I'm not afraid to learn and I learn best by a hands-on approach. it's not a high dollar radio so forget the fear factor. I purchased a matched set of ERF2030+ 's to replace the exiting transistors if/when they pop. I can smell the 'snake oil' but wonder if this maxmod would be a good driver or maybe something else?

Any guidance or explanations would really be appreciated, Thank you

I guess I didn't enter this properly or maybe it was not an interesting subject

You just ran into sp5it (Mike) a true cynic.
You could have ran into me and a two page rant.
Consider yourself fortunate.

:D:D:D

And welcome to the forum.

Pssst , the inmates have the keys to this asylum.
Thanks for the reply...any thoughts or experience with the 6666...replacing stock transistors and driving them with the maxmod or is the maxmod 'snake oil' or just BS

warning

[opinionated old phuck]
Quit trying to get another suicidal 2 watts out of a FET...
Turn the thing down and drive something
https://qrpblog.com/2019/10/a-600w-broadband-hf-amplifier-using-affordable-ldmos-devices/
Best bleeding edge, bang for the buck, $$ per Watt, technology on the planet as of yesterday.
Just quit with the radio as a hand grenade with a loose pin waiting for a place to happen.
I refer to this school of modifications as "Darwin Radio".
[/opinionated old phuck]

So, how do you like your 6666? :whistle:

warning

[opinionated old phuck]
Quit trying to get another suicidal 2 watts out of a FET...
Turn the thing down and drive something
https://qrpblog.com/2019/10/a-600w-broadband-hf-amplifier-using-affordable-ldmos-devices/
Best bleeding edge, bang for the buck, $$ per Watt, technology on the planet as of yesterday.
Just quit with the radio as a hand grenade with a loose pin waiting for a place to happen.
I refer to this school of modifications as "Darwin Radio".
[/opinionated old phuck]

So, how do you like your 6666? :whistle:
The 6666 is nice radio, small enough for my wife's car...she did NOT want a radio in HER car. I'm really impressed but I hear a lot of talk about heat and smoking the finals because they inferior transistors Maybe its a bunch of BS but don't know so I'm here looking for answers. I purchased a matched set of ERF2030+ to replace the finals if need be and wondered if driving them with the maxmod was a waste of time or just 'snake oil'

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
There's a whole other thread that has all these you're looking for, I'll add the link shortly

Pretty much ends in leave it as it be, it's a great little device as it is.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated