• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Member List & Activity Question

Should The Memberlist Be Pruned Of Inactive Members?

• Yes

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • No

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • I Don't Care Either Way

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
Hi troops,

This is just a question. Please don't anyone get all riled up.

I understand this forum has been around a number of years and has been through a few format changes. That's all good. Looking around though the overall traffic volume isn't that high. Can it be that maybe a good handful....maybe even thousand + folks on the memberlist aren't really here anymore and perhaps the memberlist could stand a little pruning?

No sense in attempting to boast over 3,000 members when current activity doesn't really support that.

Does anyone think the memberlist could be pruned of folks who haven't posted anything in a long time? They could always reregister if they desired to post again.

Just a thought

interview.gif

Hi troops,

This is just a question. Please don't anyone get all riled up.

I understand this forum has been around a number of years and has been through a few format changes. That's all good. Looking around though the overall traffic volume isn't that high. Can it be that maybe a good handful....maybe even thousand + folks on the memberlist aren't really here anymore and perhaps the memberlist could stand a little pruning?

No sense in attempting to boast over 3,000 members when current activity doesn't really support that.

Does anyone think the memberlist could be pruned of folks who haven't posted anything in a long time? They could always reregister if they desired to post again.

Just a thought

interview.gif

You can only say so much about radio's.

I don't know anything about running a server with a forum so I'm asking. Does it mess something up If there are a lot of inactive posters? A lot of members may log in to read.

The life cycle of most any internet chat forum is as such.
At any given time you will have....

Lurkers...Those people who just stop by and read what's said, but never contribute.
Registered Lurkers....Those who actually bother to register, but only lurk and does not contribute.
Occassional Poster...The guy that's been a registered member for 10 years, but has less than 100 posts to his name.
The Flash in the pan....Someone that registers, posts up a storm in a month's time, then you never see them again.
Slow and steady....The member that lurks more than posts, but does contribute every so often.
Forum Regulars....The guys that check in every day, and always find something to talk about, these are the core members that keep the place going, even during the really slow times.

I've been on many forums for all kinds of subjects, and I've qualified for every one of those titles listed. Personal interests vary, some things you stay interested in for life, and some things become a passing fancy. I've had many "passing fancy's" in life, and things that continue to interest me, as do most people.
Ham radio is a good example, I was into it heavy from 1988 til about 1993, then I had two babies to raise, I worked two jobs, free time and spare money were very limited, and my interest in the radio hobby died off, now I'm slowly finding my way back into it. My babies are now teenagers, and even though I still work two jobs, free time and spare cash is becoming a little easier to come by.

Another thing is the fact that some folks register, ask a handful of question, or gain enough information from the forum to get themselves off the ground, then no longer see a need to frequent the forum, but why not allow them the option to return here without having to jump through the registration hoops just to ask one more question, or answer one of your's......????

I must admit i have been here since the beginning and I check this forum everyday. Just dont always have something to ask or say...(y)(y)

I'm like Undertaker in that I've been here since Hitler was a pup. I've suggested this at one time and got in more crap than a septic tank service.

Soooo I don't care.

Jim

Hi guys,

Great comments so far! Yes I've been doing forums for many years myself and also own and operate a forum regarding a different subject matter. So I know how it all goes. On my forum, I post a guideline that registrants with zero posts in 6 months after registering will be deleted. They are always welcome to come back. It isn't necessary to register to read the forums....and really the only reason to actually register is to post.

I just find it odd seeing a memberlist of over 3,000 when there doesn't really seem to be that many folks actually here. Know what I mean? Some sites, and I'm not implying this one as I'm new here myself and just wanting to join in and participate; but some sites who do attain a high number of registrants, keep them all on forever as kind of a boast. "Look how many members we have!!" Yet....it's not really.....Just seems silly.

interview.gif

This forum is set up in way that only allows an unregistered member to read so many posts before they have to register. They may not ever post, but still need to be registered to read after a while. There are a few reasons to do it this way, especially if you're trying to track topics that interest members and what areas get the best activity. It helps when you're analyzing it if you can seperate registered readers from guests that just happened to land here from google and never came back.

Hi guys,

Great comments so far! Yes I've been doing forums for many years myself and also own and operate a forum regarding a different subject matter. So I know how it all goes. On my forum, I post a guideline that registrants with zero posts in 6 months after registering will be deleted. They are always welcome to come back. It isn't necessary to register to read the forums....and really the only reason to actually register is to post.

I just find it odd seeing a memberlist of over 3,000 when there doesn't really seem to be that many folks actually here. Know what I mean? Some sites, and I'm not implying this one as I'm new here myself and just wanting to join in and participate; but some sites who do attain a high number of registrants, keep them all on forever as kind of a boast. "Look how many members we have!!" Yet....it's not really.....Just seems silly.

interview.gif
Why fix a pipe that has no leaks, there's no reason to flush your "unactive" members list if it's not a problem.

If you want to change something change the posting restrictions at radio reference.

Me Two!!

Yep, I am like undertaker too. I have been here from the very start When Charger opened this place. I got my World wide CDX Radio club CDX certificate on March 10th 2002. I check in everyday but don't always log in. I used to have a shit load of post butt when things changed over they all seemed to go by by. You might want to ask each member if they are willing to stay or be deleted? It don't hurt to ask before cutting them off. I still love this place and still tell friends about it, when i speak to new friends and tell them to join.i let them know that you don't have to be a HAM to join or heavilly in to radio but if they have an intress to check it out. As for me my self shit i am here till Death!!!! have a great Christmas and a Safe New Year!!!!!!!
73's Bandit169nwind,CDX169,2RSN004 Indiana.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

interview.gif

Again, I don't see your point? What does it matter if there are 300 or 300,000 members and how often they post? Is it some intranet ego thing with you or something?

But now you have some big shoes to fill, we will be expecting daily post from you for years to come sharing your wealth of knowledge about radio.

I guess FEMA will always be a member for making worthless daily post. Hey, I've already made two post today!

Look at the number of reads on those posts....someone is reading them and finds them useful.

Again, I don't see your point? What does it matter if there are 300 or 300,000 members and how often they post? Is it some intranet ego thing with you or something?

But now you have some big shoes to fill, we will be expecting daily post from you for years to come sharing your wealth of knowledge about radio.

Nope. Like I said in the first post, it was just a question, and I asked everyone one not to get riled up. So don't get riled up.

Hi my name is purplehaze im one of those registered lurkers.Ive been on a lot of those other sites to insugnificant to mention.I respect 87.92% of all the openions here.Not one day goes by that some one dosent answer a question for me,So i guess im saying no to purging the account of non participants.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.