• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Messy Maco 750 resurrection

I am getting + 110 VDC on Pin 11 " Grid 2" and these voltages are on the final 8950 section

Last edited:
The exploded glass neon bulb at the other end of that wire tells us this was the screen-grid wire for the pre driver stage. It was configured to hold the carrier down. When the drive signal was modulated, it would cause enough current drain from the screen grid to drop screen voltage across that 100k 2-Watt resistor. When the voltage drop reached around 80 Volts the gas in the neon lamp would fire, holding the voltage drop more or less constant. This would goose a high screen-grid current only during modulation peaks, but reduce it for just the carrier drive alone. This would exaggerate forward swing, at the expense of audio clarity.

The screen current for that tube was usually high enough to overheat and wear out the neon lamps. Nobody asks how long this kind of amplifier will last, they just want to know what the wattmeter shows. Creates an incentive for the builder to provide a high meter reading at the expense of service life.

This setup is a bit like a nitrous bottle without an "off" switch.

My screen voltage is also at over 500 volts the 6LB6 tube data sheet shows the screen voltage should be at 200 volts ????? Is that what's wrong with this box

Is that what's wrong with this box
In a nutshell, what's wrong with it is that it's been hot-rodded in a way that you can't keep it from heading straight for the ditch every pass. Maco built them to deliver every last Watt possible, never mind how many times you can key it before the first Kaboom.

Civilizing it so it doesn't shoot itself in the face is something we have never really written up in detail.

They were built differently every production run, so a detailed DIY procedure can't cover every variation easily.

What we have done in the past is to convert the driver from grid drive to cathode drive, and feed the screen grids from the 12-Volt relay supply. Negative grid bias rectified from the heater supply takes the place of the higher bias voltage used for the grid drive setup.

But that's a big problem with the 750. The model number alone won't tell you how a particular amplifier is built. Too many possible versions.

This has to be the worst of all the versions they made. The circuit board along the rear of the chassis conceals the solder side of the board. The input coil looks as if one winding has been burned. More than once we have found a burned foil trace on that board once it's extracted.

We completely stopped trying to rehab that circuit board. It gets removed, the relay bolted to the rear apron, a new keying circuit added, and a cathode-drive input circuit takes the place of the tiny burned-up input coil.

More of a "rebuild" than a repair.

It's just the way they built it.

Reactions: Danzik
This has to be the worst of all the versions they made. The circuit board along the rear of the chassis conceals the solder side of the board. The input coil looks as if one winding has been burned. More than once we have found a burned foil trace on that board once it's extracted.

We completely stopped trying to rehab that circuit board. It gets removed, the relay bolted to the rear apron, a new keying circuit added, and a cathode-drive input circuit takes the place of the tiny burned-up input coil.

More of a "rebuild" than a repair.

It's just the way they built it.

Yeah, that's unfortunate . I believe the input coil got burned like that when the driver screen wire came off and contacted other spots in the amplifier, which black soot can be seen in the case in various places. All in all the box is keying up and putting out power, when the tube damage occurred on the final section it was in standby and not even being keyed, it is possible the 2 tubes were close to being on there way out but tested real good before hand. I think I am going to swap the finals over to 6 volt to use 6LB6 in case it decides to pop anymore . If I end up having issues with that tuner and rear circuit board I already have a Nomad keying circuit board on hand. Is that screen voltage going to the drivers at 500 volts ok ???? Should I or couldn't I lower that with a larger power resistor or something? I did order some new neon bulbs for that I hope the ones I ordered will work in there ‍♂️ I also ordered new large capacitors for that section and I already replaced the 2 caps for the final screen section that was feeding them 110 vdc they looked like they had been hot, dunno just trying here, I think once I get it going I can get her to run putting very low input watts into it I hope, thanks for your advice as it is appreciated!

In my experience, that slug-tuned driver input coil is damaged by excessive drive wattage.

Certainly not the only possibility.

Ok, what's the best way to test that coil ? Can it simply be done with a ohm meter and turn the slug with a Allen wrench and look for a change in ohms even with the amp off or should I place a swr meter between the radio and amplifier and check out the swr between the units and see if adjusting the coil changes the swr ??? Chances are if it's burned up the swr will be sky high and won't adjust, correct? Thanks

Hi , I rewired the box for 6 volt 6LB6 tubes, I replaced the large caps with 3 220uf 450v caps, I installed new Neon bulbs and replaced a couple of those old carbon resistors, I currently have a swr of 2 between the radio and box and have not attempted to adjust the input tuner yet, my main SWR is 1.3 and drops to below a 1.2 with modulation added. There is a weird 3 position standby switch on this box, at first I had flipped it into the upward position and I noticed the 2 driver tubes quickly starting to red plate, then I noticed if I put the switch into the downward position they did not red plate ! I am starting to think that might have been what was going on before when it destroyed the old tube, I am going to have to check out why that switch is setup that way .

The problem with the input coil is that when the insulating varnish burns, the wire turns short to one another. An inductance meter is the only way to test an inductor. Don't have the inductance value you should read on file, though. The tuning slug requires a non-metallic tool, pretty sure the flats are 1/10 of an inch apart. This was a standard "alignment tool" size for years. Using an Allen wrench that's 'almost' the right size runs the risk of cracking the brittle thing.

If the input-side SWR is that low, just put a nail in it. You can't expect to improve it enough to be worth any effort.

An amplifier that old almost certainly contains some modification or another. Sounds like that standby switch has a 'suicide' mode.

If the input-side SWR is that low, just put a nail in it. You can't expect to improve it enough to be worth any effort.

As always, @nomadradio is correct. People get hung up with input swr. I agree we should all strive for perfect but any amplifier will pretty much show no difference in power with a perfectly flat input and a 2.0:1 input. The only time this can jam you up is with much bigger boxes.
With 4w forward a 2:1 input is less than half a watt in reflected power. Half. A. Watt.
Even mini 8 coax can safely dissipate this half watt of heat. It matters when you have hundreds of watts of reflect on your coax between drivers etc... meaningless in small boxes.

Yeah, the swr readings are good between the box and radio and after, with modulation applied it drops even more, however if I flip the box on high I still have the low SWR but the driver tubes start to red plate right away on keyup, not real sure what my next step on this unit will be ‍♂️ maybe a match and diesel fuel

Chris (nomad) is your best hope for help in this project, I was just injecting humor into the mix.
If a service manual was available for it that would provide some help, but they never wrote one, he has years of experience with these old amps.

Jeff

Reactions: lonestarbandit

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.