• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Meter Help

Needs a shunt resistor.

Just one problem. You need two numbers to calculate the resistance value required.

The meter's full-scale sensitivity current. For now, I'll guess what you meant was one milliamp. It's typical to find "fs=" in small print at the bottom of the meter face followed by a current rating.

The coil resistance of the meter. This dictates the actual voltage that will push 1 milliamp through the meter coil. If it's 1000 ohms, you need 1 Volt.

If it's 100 ohms, you need only 1/10 of a Volt.

Once you have these two numbers, calculating the resistance value needed for your shunt can be done.

We use a cheap digital multimeter that has a 20-Amp scale and use that scale for setting final/driver bias. That way if a gator clip comes loose and touches grounded metal for a moment, no damage is done to the meter.

Your meter will be at risk if this happens unless it has a fuse or some other sort of overload protection.

Sometimes the build-it-yourself solution is more cost effective. Sometimes not so much.

Reactions: 357magnum
It also depends on where you insert the meter. It must be isolated from RF thru the choke that feeds the transistors. You cannot insert it on the RF hot side as the RF will drive the meter crazy.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated