• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MFJ-259C/MFJ-989D on I-Max 2000

Heavy Metal

Aug 23, 2014
20150710_231601.jpg

20150710_231532.jpg

Just playing around, so let me know what you think the MFJ-989D loaded the I-Max 2000 for 1.8Mhz ( 160m ).

Last edited:

You can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish

REO Speedwagon

4be9fac20dfb7571b5ffae392b53c1fe.jpg

Reactions: wavrider
I doubt the matching circuit in the antenna would be too happy with the voltages its being faced with. Hope you didn't put any power down it.

I once set a Ten-Tec AT-227 manual tuner on fire by loading a six foot helically wound antenna on 160m with just 100 watts. Keyed up and heard "SNAP!" Unkeyed. Keyed up again and heard "SNAP!!" and then saw smoke coming from the tuner. It didn't stop. That was the fastest I ever got the cabinet off a piece of gear. LOL The plastic former around the toroid in the tuner caught fire from the reactance voltages and the heavy current the toroid was handling. I replaced the toroid with a beefier hand wound unit with a better switch. Really short or way off resonant antennas place a considerable strain on tuner components.

I once set a Ten-Tec AT-227 manual tuner on fire by loading a six foot helically wound antenna on 160m with just 100 watts. Keyed up and heard "SNAP!" Unkeyed. Keyed up again and heard "SNAP!!" and then saw smoke coming from the tuner. It didn't stop. That was the fastest I ever got the cabinet off a piece of gear. LOL The plastic former around the toroid in the tuner caught fire from the reactance voltages and the heavy current the toroid was handling. I replaced the toroid with a beefier hand wound unit with a better switch. Really short or way off resonant antennas place a considerable strain on tuner components.

Fire on the wire!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.