• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MIC SUGGESTIONS

Sonar

Apr 8, 2016
I've been using an Astatic unamplified d104 (g-stand) on every Sonar I ever owned.
I'd like to try something different.
It can get costly searching for a mic.
I've never owned a Shure, but would like to give one a try.
It must be an unamplified high Z microphone.
Cost isn't a factor when concidering a single mic, but I'd like not to have to purchase 2 or even 3 only to find out that it sounds like the d104 I'm using, or worse not as good. I know there's only so much one can do in order to improve a sonar 2340's audio, and from my understanding a mic is one of those things.
I know much has to do with the microphones response, but don't actually understand how that works.
Is there a Shure mic that has a response different from the Astatic g-stand that would compliment a Sonar FS 2340? If there's something other than a Shure I'm open to ideas.
The 2340 has a three wire (ground, key, audio) 1/4" phone jack. The mic's suggested would have to be compatible with the three wire phone jack. I don't want to have to modify the mics cord in order for it to work with this type of wiring configuration. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 73

This guy has no clue what he's selling and it would be the best 20 bucks you ever spent.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/SHURE-602FH-DYNAMIC-NOISE-CANCELING-MICROPHONE-PAGING-DISPATCH-/302400536941
$_1.JPG

Reactions: Sonar
I know it doesn't help answer the question but...
I Sonar's I have worked on all had very Hi impedance microphone. On the order of 50 to 100k or more .
a Bimorph Rochelle Salt crystal as found in the D-104 and for the Sonar, Tram Titan II and others is "likely" Very Hi-Z
http://www.greenbulletmics.com/DATING_the_ELEMENTS.html
...Describes the Controlled reluctance/reactance/magnetic elements found in the Shure Microphones.
Very good information all in one place. Many 444 base microphones had a switchable impedance, some do not.

I'm a huge fan of the Controlled reluctance/reactance/magnetic elements. They are durable, usually flat output into suggested load, do not seem to "grow old" like a Bimorph Rochelle Salt crystal and match fairly well to a wide variety of radios. I did have to adjust a very few radios internally, most notably a Tempo 2020. (msg for details).

It's just a clean , low hassle, period piece that lends itself well to boat anchor service. Do read the above link carefully and ask if you don't get it .

Reactions: midnight special
sonar not that i know of,, but i knew of a few that had the 23 channel sonars and the klones of them,,,, and many perfered the 444 over the d104,,,, mainly because of the tone quality and pickup the 444 had,,,,,i have had many of the clones over the years,, kris, robyn, gemtronics, colt,, loved them all but only 2 of them i used a 444,, i still have that mike and use it on my kenwood ts 820,,,,

sonar not that i know of,, but i knew of a few that had the 23 channel sonars and the klones of them,,,, and many perfered the 444 over the d104,,,, mainly because of the tone quality and pickup the 444 had,,,,,i have had many of the clones over the years,, kris, robyn, gemtronics, colt,, loved them all but only 2 of them i used a 444,, i still have that mike and use it on my kenwood ts 820,,,,
In your opinion is the 444 a better choice over the d104, for a 2340?
If so is there a particular 444 I should be looking for?
I believe there are a couple of 444's. Each with slite differences.

I know it doesn't help answer the question but...
I Sonar's I have worked on all had very Hi impedance microphone. On the order of 50 to 100k or more .
a Bimorph Rochelle Salt crystal as found in the D-104 and for the Sonar, Tram Titan II and others is "likely" Very Hi-Z
...Describes the Controlled reluctance/reactance/magnetic elements found in the Shure Microphones.
Very good information all in one place. Many 444 base microphones had a switchable impedance, some do not.

I'm a huge fan of the Controlled reluctance/reactance/magnetic elements. They are durable, usually flat output into suggested load, do not seem to "grow old" like a Bimorph Rochelle Salt crystal and match fairly well to a wide variety of radios. I did have to adjust a very few radios internally, most notably a Tempo 2020. (msg for details).

It's just a clean , low hassle, period piece that lends itself well to boat anchor service. Do read the above link carefully and ask if you don't get it .
It was a good read, but the article was geared towards the shure's best for harmonica use. I don't know if the cartrages used in those mic's are used in mic's used specifically for voice (transmitting) use. Thanks.

It was a good read, but the article was geared towards the shure's best for harmonica use. I don't know if the cartrages used in those mic's are used in mic's used specifically for voice (transmitting) use. Thanks.
I remember talking with some harmonica players and was told that they preferred old mics intended for communications use, mostly they would watch ebay and try to grab them before the hams and/or CBers got to them. I think a little more homework may be in order.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.