• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MikesRadioRepair Reviews Asymod iii HiFi Board

Right on, I didn't say he designed it, Just that he should have put more effort into a patent.

Shame he got deceived and ripped off.

Yeah, the asymod guy ripped him off. That guy bought a mmm board, john helped him set it up, answered all of his questions and the guy ripped him off.

There is even a copy of the copy being sold by another guy on ebay. One seller claims to be the original.....davemade, xforce, fatboy and all the other amp assemblers come to mind.

Reactions: LeapFrog
remove the 455 filter and replace it with a cap and do the audio chain mods and you are golden :whistle::whistle:
Why limit it to 5k? In DX does it matter? And short of being a prick, is anyone local using an adjacent channel to the local channel?
The NRSC standard of rolling off sharply at 10k is just fine.

Of coarse I love it when I hear a good sounding 20-20k station like 225 jammimg in GA.
Well; yeah. But 5khz is practical, workable, and within reach of most by just doing the TX/RX cap mods. IOW - cheap!

This circuit should go public IMO, even kit or PCB only to buy.
This will break copycat business.
Mike
Yeah, it doesn't have any expensive components on it. Even the LM324 opamps and like ~$.50/ea and found everywhere - even RadioShack. The bare pre-printed board might become the rage if made available.

maybe i should do a AM only version of the optima or the huracan and put a smt modulator in it of my own design...lol
be so easy to make our switchable filter normal and wide instead of normal and narrow

oh boy lol
IMO, consider a switchable 1/4" input jack along w/ "variable d.k." & "asymmetry control" pots I think that would kick serious @zz! Make it TX 10Khz Wide Maximum, with the throw of a switch!

A real winner of an idea you've got Yeti, I would buy one if I had money like that.

Last edited:
Yeah, it doesn't have any expensive components on it. Even the LM324 opamps and like ~$.50/ea and found everywhere - even RadioShack. The bare pre-printed board might become the rage if made available.

problem with that is simply the guys that should never be allowed near soldering irons and the support required for the ones that have never used a iron and have only worked on mic plugs ..

then the support for every radio install in every brand..some guy will want it in a 40 year old POS that really needs to be thrown out let alone restored BEFORE adding the board to it ...then the guy that wants to have it mounted externally so he can use it on different radios etc etc blah blah

then they guy that installed it wrong and wants a refund because hes better at doing up his laces rather than working on a radio ..i am sure john has had many a sleepless night

if these guys are as serious into hifi as they are.... they would buy a ready made board or radio is not a issue ..if the radio is not to their taste ..buy a ready made board that has been tested to be known working before installed..the little extra in cost is piece of mind

..lets face it you still have to spend a considerable amount of money to finish the station off so the cost of a ready made board is a factor thats really a moot point

Reactions: tecnicoloco
IMO, consider a switchable 1/4" input jack along w/ "variable d.k." & "asymmetry control" pots I think that would kick serious @zz! Make it TX 10Khz Wide Maximum, with the throw of a switch!

A real winner of an idea you've got Yeti, I would buy one if I had money like that.

i actually spoke to john about this over a year ago on fb messenger even offered him a crate of radios at cut throat prices to get him started on it..then the conversation died ..it was him that had the idea (posted something about it in a group i think it was) i just made him the offer as ....well we know people .yes i thought it was a good thing..but as below not something i wanted to tackle as a business at my end

as for me doing it..no market here for AM radio s and really i dont think there is one guy in nz that even has seen a real hifi am cb station in the flesh (yes plenty of want to be voodo guys on ssb on ham radio..if you call a heil mic on a boom and a stock radio "voodoo" )

so our market has no need for it and it would be only America that i could market to..then there is the issue of well i am in nz and who would buy of a guy in kiwi land a hifi am rig when they could buy local (in usa) the same thing?hence offering to supply john cheap radios and he puts his board in

i have had many that have tried to get me into hifi am ..but is a say we are a ssb nation..am disappeared when we got the 40 channels and ssb

cost wise the radios are no issue ..have plenty of sources for that at dealer prices..then me making the board and installing and testing will add cost..but as above..no market...if i was in the states well i would be all over it..would be stupid not to embrace a market i could sell to all day long..john does make a good effort at promoting it after all

problem with that is simply the guys that should never be allowed near soldering irons and the support required for the ones that have never used a iron and have only worked on mic plugs ..

then the support for every radio install in every brand..some guy will want it in a 40 year old POS that really needs to be thrown out let alone restored BEFORE adding the board to it ...then the guy that wants to have it mounted externally so he can use it on different radios etc etc blah blah

then they guy that installed it wrong and wants a refund because hes better at doing up his laces rather than working on a radio ..i am sure john has had many a sleepless night

if these guys are as serious into hifi as they are.... they would buy a ready made board or radio is not a issue ..if the radio is not to their taste ..buy a ready made board that has been tested to be known working before installed..the little extra in cost is piece of mind

..lets face it you still have to spend a considerable amount of money to finish the station off so the cost of a ready made board is a factor thats really a moot point
Looking at that board, I would guesstimate that if you used perf board, you could build five of these boards for around $50-$65. So, cost isn't the issue. AS soon as a schematic becomes available, the cat will be out of the bag - and running.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.