• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

"Miracle Power Cord" fixes major RFI issue...

FatHam

Staff member
Apr 15, 2011
So Cal
I've had an issue with my HF radio wreaking havoc on some household electronics ever since getting my ticket. Furnace fan coming on, electronics freezing up or going wild. It was a hoot...

Changed antennas, added chokes, the usual. I ended up building a mega-grounding system out of 2" copper strap, several new ground rods all tied back to the main panel, and that solved all kinds of problems. Except the 55" LCD TV.

All I had to do was tune up on 10m and if the TV was on, it would go off. If it was off, it would come on with the volume full blast, it wouldn't see the remote control, etc... All you could do was yank the plug out of the wall.

Rather than attempt to do battle with the manufacturer "LG" over their lack of filtering, I decided to cover the cord in ferrite beads from one end to the other. That helped, but didn't solve the problem 100% of the time. Then I decided to wind some 14ga wire around a ferrite choke, then splice it in to the positive side of a power cord.
rficord.JPG
Problem solved! For about 20 minutes...
The choke started to buzz and danced around on the shelf until the children ran out of the room screaming.

I basically couldn't do HF if anyone wanted to watch TV because I had to unplug the TV if I wanted to talk. Since someone's ALWAYS watching TV, I pretty much gave up on HF.

Then Moleculo found some power cords that were lined with ferrite and had built in blocking capacitors. I got one from him last week and it solved the problem 100%. I've been on 10m for days now without a single hiccup.

The cords are available here --> Emc Eupen The only downside is the $100 minimum order. That will get you five of the #NA-201 cords. I think Mole still has a couple left from his order that he might be willing to part with. Beyond that, a couple of you could get together and do a group buy unless you NEED five.
rficord.gif
I wish I had found this years ago. I guess I did at least get a hell of a ground system out of the whole process.
:blink:

Last edited:

The basic shielded AC power cable is a good idea for moderate RFI. The power cable that Mark has takes the shielding to a whole different level. I put one of these on my MFJ switching power supply and it reduced the receiver hash on HF by about 20db or so! I'm going to shoot a short video showing before and after on that one.

Reactions: 3 people
The basic shielded AC power cable is a good idea for moderate RFI. The power cable that Mark has takes the shielding to a whole different level. I put one of these on my MFJ switching power supply and it reduced the receiver hash on HF by about 20db or so! I'm going to shoot a short video showing before and after on that one.

nice. i got a jetstreame p/s that puts out tiny bit on 11 m but nothing that really hinders anything.my tv puts rf hash in my recieve wonder if this might help

I've had an issue with my HF radio wreaking havoc on some household electronics ever since getting my ticket. Furnace fan coming on, electronics freezing up or going wild. It was a hoot...

Changed antennas, added chokes, the usual. I ended up building a mega-grounding system out of 2" copper strap, several new ground rods all tied back to the main panel, and that solved all kinds of problems. Except the 55" LCD TV.

All I had to do was tune up on 10m and if the TV was on, it would go off. If it was off, it would come on with the volume full blast, it wouldn't see the remote control, etc... All you could do was yank the plug out of the wall.

Rather than attempt to do battle with the manufacturer "LG" over their lack of filtering, I decided to cover the cord in ferrite beads from one end to the other. That helped, but didn't solve the problem 100% of the time. Then I decided to wind some 14ga wire around a ferrite choke, then splice it in to the positive side of a power cord.
View attachment 12905
Problem solved! For about 20 minutes...
The choke started to buzz and danced around on the shelf until the children ran out of the room screaming.

I basically couldn't do HF if anyone wanted to watch TV because I had to unplug the TV if I wanted to talk. Since someone's ALWAYS watching TV, I pretty much gave up on HF.

Then Moleculo found some power cords that were lined with ferrite and had built in blocking capacitors. I got one from him last week and it solved the problem 100%. I've been on 10m for days now without a single hiccup.

The cords are available here --> Emc Eupen The only downside is the $100 minimum order. That will get you five of the #NA-201 cords. I think Mole still has a couple left from his order that he might be willing to part with. Beyond that, a couple of you could get together and do a group buy unless you NEED five.
View attachment 12904
I wish I had found this years ago. I guess I did at least get a hell of a ground system out of the whole process.
:blink:

Sounds like you have some serious rf in your shack , Glad the cable fixed the symptoms.It's a shame all ac appliances aren't fitted with such a cable.

Reactions: 1 person
"Miracle Power Cord" fixes major RFI issue

I had the same issue with my LCD tv which was fed by Directv. I could of used the Miracle Power Cord to fix my problem. However my problem was solved when I dumped Directv for AT &T Uverse. No more problems.

Many high end HiFI AC cables incorporate shielding techniques, they are mostly expensive but some are very effective. Audiophiles are obsessed with that sort of thing, most likely because they are on the receiving end of our hobbies and other poorly made electronics that radiate RFI.

Might be worth looking into for some, Euphen is best known in European Radio circles for producing high end hardline coax similar in spec to Andrew Heliax.

Sadly shit I know about but can't afford, lol

I wish that the member who started this thread would have told us the make and model of his HF rig so we would know which one to avoid.

It's an Icom 706MKII. I suppose you're going to tell me those are a chronic problem?

The system is grounded to the hilt. An yes, correctly. The biggest problem is the fact that the TV is on and UN-grounded circuit in an older part of the house. It was either pull new romex through the wall and all the way back to the box, or try this cord. $20 cord. Solved.

Have a new LCD monitor and the noise/sounds it makes from its switching power supply into my radio's receiver could be mistaken for Godzilla destroying New York City.
Need to get one of these cords ASAP . . .

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.