• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mirror Antennas

antenna ground

To begin with, 2 antenna's co-phased (two seperate antennas run into one coax) on a pick up truck is not a good idea unless you can space them far enough apart. It would be better if you liked the looks of two antennas (symmetry)to hook one up to the radio and mount the other but not hook it up. Otherwise for optimum efficiency, a single antenna in the middle of the roof would make the radio work much better. Second, if you do mount the antennas on the plastic mirrors you will need to run a ground wire (preferably as big of gauge wire with small multi strands is best) to the inside of the door jamb as close to the hinge as possible (shortest wire length).

As far as the Wilson 5000 goes its more antenna then you need right now with just a Cobra 25. But if you have the money and can afford it then i would get it now. That way in the future if you go with more power you will not have to worry about upgrading the antenna. You really cant go wrong with a Wilson, they are great antennas!

King Mudduck said:
As far as the Wilson 5000 goes its more antenna then you need right now with just a Cobra 25. But if you have the money and can afford it then i would get it now. That way in the future if you go with more power you will not have to worry about upgrading the antenna. You really cant go wrong with a Wilson, they are great antennas!

Thats a pretty dumb statement dont you think???? Your antenna system is the most important piece of the puzzle. That cobra 25 will talk just as good as anything with the right antenna

I don't mean to speak for him....but I think he was reffering to the power rating of the Wil 5K. In other words, why run the 5K when you're only running a 5 watt radio. The 1K will do the same exact thing.

Understand i did mean it the way you thought. Most people would tell him not go out and spend that kind of money on a 5000 when i little will would do the job. But the way i see it is if your going to buy an antenna then why not buy the best you can afford from the start. That way you will not have to worry about upgrading the antenna when you put that big amplifier behind that 25. You are right and i have should have said it my self. Your antenna and coax is 90% of your talk and receive! Whats that mean? Shitty antenna + cheap coax = a poor performing radio.

I want to go with an amplifier later after you all get me running with just the Cobra 25 LTD. I have to get an antenna that I can expand my system. I don't want to keep removing my headliner to run wire for the new antenna.

995 said:
How about drilling holes? Go or no-go??

Thats totally up to you. A roof mount wilson will do you just fine.
Like i posted just above get the wilson 5000 the roof mount only needs one hole for that. Ball mounts need 4 hole's dont know if you want the many hole's in your roof. The main thing for best performence is the antenna system...

hope this helps ya 73's

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.