• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile Antenna Question

psycho

Running a special on our rooms!
Aug 25, 2006
Floriduh
On a drill through roof mount does a Predator 10K really outperformed a Wilson 5000? Both antennas are roof mounted with solid grounding at the same exact mounting hole.
I use a Predator 10K but for riding arounding I am thinking Wilson 5000....hitting too many cottonpicking tree limbs with the 10K.

undertaker said:
the wilson is just fine been running a 1000 for years...

The information I was trying to get was the performace difference between a roof mounted Wilson 5000 and a Predator 10K. I know the Wilsons are nice antennas.

I assume you're talking about a wilson 5000 trucker, not the mag mount...

The last time I saw some specs on both the wilson 5000 and the predator 10K, the wilson had a higher Q. That means it should perform better. However, "should" and "do" don't always equate, especially when considering your specific application. Bob85 (and others) will tell you that he's tried both and can tell a big difference. Others will say the exact opposite. The Predator is a very well constructed antenna and performs well. However, if you already have the 5000 and are happy with it.

Moleculo said:
I assume you're talking about a wilson 5000 trucker, not the mag mount...

The last time I saw some specs on both the wilson 5000 and the predator 10K, the wilson had a higher Q. That means it should perform better. However, "should" and "do" don't always equate, especially when considering your specific application. Bob85 (and others) will tell you that he's tried both and can tell a big difference. Others will say the exact opposite. The Predator is a very well constructed antenna and performs well. However, if you already have the 5000 and are happy with it.

The Wilson 5000 I am thinking about is the one that mounts in a 3/4" hole and the coil sits on a plastic standoff almost flush with the roof top. I know the Predator will match in better with lower refleced watts but like you said "should" and "do" are not always the case.

A center loaded antenna should outperform a base loaded antenna.

There is no doubt that they are both excellent antennas! I would expect the Penetrator to outperform the 5000 however.

Yes as MC said, the one you're referring to isn't the trucker model...it's the base loaded version. The Predator is a center loaded antenna and should do better.

Moleculo said:
Yes as MC said, the one you're referring to isn't the trucker model...it's the base loaded version. The Predator is a center loaded antenna and should do better.

Since the beehive mount and Wilson use the same diameter hole, I'll just buy a Wilson and try it out. I do expect the Predator to work better.

BEWARE! The Wilson "gum drop" or "bee hive" mount is a BAD mount!!!
It is subject to INTERNAL breakage that will only show itself intermittently! If you are using the 3/8-24 Wilson mount, replace it right away!

I like the Hi-Q mount, but the one from Kale is also a quality unit.

I suppose the question would come down to what works best for you ? IM not going to debate what antenna is better then the other , if you read the books , as MC said , center load "should" out perform a bottom load. I've used so many over the years that they were all ballpark in performance for my liking , weather it was a Wilson 1000 / 5000 or a Fransis Amazer or a SS 102 ....with my personal modualating and skip shooting over the years , they all just did fine and dandy. I've used the Wilson more so then anything else over the last 15 years or so for ease of installation , SWR properties and good looks......IM really a drill a hole kind of guy , but weather it's a mag mount or trunk mount , Wilson's have always seemed to hold there own over the years. 10K sure looks like one hell of a antenna and from what I've heard over the years .....THEY ARE !! ......I live in the Los Angeles area and I really prefer to keep a low profile in my car , I put one of those 10K Sabor light rods on top of my car around here , I will surely open a few more eye's then I personally feel I need coming my way. Not to say that I might try one one day ? I did use a Monkey made for a short time that also worked very well........but really gave me the feeling of being some kind of werido everytime I would walk out to my car or questions from strangers about what that thing was on top of your car ?? That was enough for me.

Switch Kit said:
I suppose the question would come down to what works best for you ? IM not going to debate what antenna is better then the other , if you read the books , as MC said , center load "should" out perform a bottom load. I've used so many over the years that they were all ballpark in performance for my liking , weather it was a Wilson 1000 / 5000 or a Fransis Amazer or a SS 102 ....with my personal modualating and skip shooting over the years , they all just did fine and dandy. I've used the Wilson more so then anything else over the last 15 years or so for ease of installation , SWR properties and good looks......IM really a drill a hole kind of guy , but weather it's a mag mount or trunk mount , Wilson's have always seemed to hold there own over the years. 10K sure looks like one hell of a antenna and from what I've heard over the years .....THEY ARE !! ......I live in the Los Angeles area and I really prefer to keep a low profile in my car , I put one of those 10K Sabor light rods on top of my car around here , I will surely open a few more eye's then I personally feel I need coming my way. Not to say that I might try one one day ? I did use a Monkey made for a short time that also worked very well........but really gave me the feeling of being some kind of werido everytime I would walk out to my car or questions from strangers about what that thing was on top of your car ?? That was enough for me.

I am a little self conscious about the looks of my Predator too and it is no where near the bulk of a Monkey.

Master Chief said:
It is subject to INTERNAL breakage that will only show itself intermittently! If you are using the 3/8-24 Wilson mount, replace it right away!

I have also heard running a 4 pill amp will heat them up excessively too.
The Solarcon HWM-1 in the most heavy duty beehive mount that I found.

Master Chief said:

Yeah, I learned from experience on the Wilson mount as well. I've used a similar mount that is made by Firestick for several years with no problems. It has a wider base and is made of better material than the Wilson. I couldn't use the one like in "karo's" pic because the thread section for the SO-239 wasn't long enough to go thru the mounting bracket I have and leave enough for the PL-259 to properly tighten down on.

73's

psycho said:
On a drill through roof mount does a Predator 10K really outperformed a Wilson 5000? Both antennas are roof mounted with solid grounding at the same exact mounting hole.
I use a Predator 10K but for riding arounding I am thinking Wilson 5000....hitting too many cottonpicking tree limbs with the 10K.

Psycho I've ran both of them. I run the 5k now. Running a 3pill into and eight, I honestly did really see a difference talking skip. The difference I saw was that the 10k tunned better out better than the wilson 5k. For a low profile anntenna the wilson is no push over. If you like that big bulky look go with the 10k. I just got tired of people slowing down looking at just to look at me. You can give the finger but soo many times.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.