• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile Base Station setup help.

Nice of you to take their feelings into consideration, Capt. :) A lot of people could learn from you.

I think getting your whip up in the air a little with a couple of wire radials will be an improvement. In the meantime, you’re “on the air” and that’s what counts. (y)
Yes very nice people he takes pride in his property. He was a Mason at my job here in a government complex and he retired many years ago. He's 84 now and keeps his house and yard in impeccable condition and I respect that. Good people are far and few between nowadays.
Quick question when I do the double wiring you think I should put them in the middle on each side of the mount or on the back side of mount by the building or the front by the yard?

Yes very nice people he takes pride in his property. He was a Mason at my job here in a government complex and he retired many years ago. He's 84 now and keeps his house and yard in impeccable condition and I respect that. Good people are far and few between nowadays.
Quick question when I do the double wiring you think I should put them in the middle on each side of the mount or on the back side of mount by the building or the front by the yard?

Where you connect the wires to the mount won’t matter. I normally use a CB mirror mount. Most come with a single hole already drilled. I just use that hole and a single screw for all the wires. (y)

Reactions: Capt Crunch
So I found this video. It looks like what I am going to do but on my fence post. I am going to be using 1/2 to 1 inch black pipe for the mast. Should I cut it at 102 inches? If so if I put an elbow and 4inch pipe at the top for a perch for the mount I have, will it change what it does or should I just do it like in the video? I am going to attach the blackpipe to the fence post, does it matter if the bottom part of the mast is blocked some by the fence? I see in the video his is blocked by his house.

That’s your antenna! :D
Elbow and 4” pipe won’t change anything. Mast being blocked is fine.
Some will say 102”. Others prefer 103”. And others like 108”. Any should work with your adjustable whip length. I always used 103” with great success.

Be sure to send pics!

That’s your antenna! :D
Elbow and 4” pipe won’t change anything. Mast being blocked is fine.
Some will say 102”. Others prefer 103”. And others like 108”. Any should work with your adjustable whip length. I always used 103” with great success.

Be sure to send pics!
Thanks. And I don't have to worry about shielding the mast from the fence? Should I add a earth ground to it?

Thanks. And I don't have to worry about shielding the mast from the fence? Should I add a earth ground to it?

Mast touching fence is fine.
I’ll defer the ground rod question to others to answer. Everyone has an opinion whether one is really needed or not. I, like many, don’t use one. :whistle:

Capt,
All of my replies are based on my own personal experience or knowledge I’ve gathered through the years from people whose opinions I respect. Others might feel differently. Like many here, I am a relic from the 1970s CB craze and a ham radio operator. :)

Last edited:
Capt,
All of my replies are based on my own personal experience or knowledge I’ve gathered through the years from people whose opinions I respect. Others might feel differently. Like many here, I am a relic from the 1970s CB craze and a ham radio operator. :)
Well your knowledge and others have helped me a lot. Thanks again. I will post when I get it all up. Ordered everything I needed already. Forgot I need a longer coax for it now LOL. Ordered the pole to pole mount, and I did order a mirror mount like in the video. Probably have it all done by next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riverman
Update, I am still reading and watching some vids and I have decided to make everything at 108 inches long to start. I have been reading about the 102 / 108 length discussions, etc. for a long time. I started reading about it again for obvious reasons here. I also found, new to me, the freq. to wavelength calculators and tried a couple and all come out to 108.462 inches for 27.205. I figure if its wrong I can always shorten everything. Opinions welcome.

Getting a little excited, stuff coming in already. Mirror mount is in. Fence post mount coming Friday. Coax coming Saturday. Trying a new cable out (29ft. Belden 9913) I haven't used before. Small and looks to be good for what I need. I usually use LMR400UF. Getting the mast and GP wires this weekend at work. Update on the PS, bought a Jetstream JTPS31MB2. One issue I may have is I am horrible at geometry and trying to read up on getting the 45 degree angles on the GPs.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.