• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile "coil type" antenna Question

jdgee

Apr 2, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Hello,
Wish I had better details on this new mobile antenna I just got. It's a homemade design, using a "coil" that is enclosed in a (plastic) tube w/metal whip. This antenna is being used by at least a dozen local people, with excellent results. All this means, is that it is a "sound" (no pun intended) design.

The help I'm looking for, is a simple (?) question.

Is it possible for a coil design antenna , (with coax) to produce some type of energy field, even if it isn't connected to a radio ?

This question seems to rate as "dumb" , but none the less, I am curious ...? Any input would be appreciated, even a simple "Yes", or "No".
Thanks, jdgee

Is it possible for a coil design antenna , (with coax) to produce some type of energy field, even if it isn't connected to a radio ?

I don't think it's going to produce any energy field unless you're transmitting.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
not sure I understand the question ? but weather or not the antenna was connected to the radio or not or weather it had a coil on it or not .....yes it will continue to receive radio signals one way or the other .....I think we are all surrounded by many energy forces weather we can "see" them or not...for some reason or another I don't think this is what the guy is looking for ?but I tried.

Hey, Thanks guys. Great collection of people here ! I've been using a mobile CB radio , one kind or another for over 25 years now, but still don't know much of the technical stuff. Forgive me, I'm just a truck driver. Need I say more ? ;)

Moleculo -> Thanks for the reply !!

Lazybones1222 -> Yes. You are right. I do have a reason, (problem) for my question here. It's ending up to look like a radio problem, but I'll keep this short (no pun intended)... Here's a LINK to a thread I started in the "CB Radio" forum .

Anyway... my radio acted up when I first connected to this new antenna. I switched back (for a comparison / elimination), to the original antenna, only to find the same problem was going on w/that one too. So... I wondered if this coiled antenna may have been causing some kind of 'energy field' (?) interaction , w/the old antenna, even when the new one wasn't being used, or hooked to a radio. Hope this helps. Thanks !

AudioShockwav and Switch Kit -> Thanks ! Perhaps you've got a better understanding, for my question. I wouldn't mind hearing more on this topic, if anyone cares to expand on it. I'm always happy to learn new things. Take care, jdgee

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.