• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

mobile "ground" mount

I am completely replacing my current CB, coax and radio. What I am wondering about is I am using just a part of a mirror antenna mount "aluminum" for my new antenna fixed to my aluminum tool box which is just behind the rear of the cab bolted to the upper rails of my bed of the truck. It's a Gull wing cross tool box,storage etc. The antenna mount is secured by four bolts and I am using one of the mounting bolts with a wire connector"2 awg" to the frame of the truck. Will this give me a proper ground?

I am completely replacing my current CB, coax and radio. What I am wondering about is I am using just a part of a mirror antenna mount "aluminum" for my new antenna fixed to my aluminum tool box which is just behind the rear of the cab bolted to the upper rails of my bed of the truck. It's a Gull wing cross tool box,storage etc. The antenna mount is secured by four bolts and I am using one of the mounting bolts with a wire connector"2 awg" to the frame of the truck. Will this give me a proper ground?

Keep the ground run as short as possible. Ground the toolbox to the bed with a strap less than 12" long and then ground the bed to the frame with a short run.

Reactions: 1 person
hammer what psycho said is what to do

charliebrown ball mount if installed right is grounded to cab i would just ground cab to frame too many ground wires might lead up to a ground loop and that might things rough................ stray rf can happen not a good thing

hammer what psycho said is what to do

charliebrown ball mount if installed right is grounded to cab i would just ground cab to frame too many ground wires might lead up to a ground loop and that might things rough................ stray rf can happen not a good thing

I learned this stuff the hard way like getting shocked from touching the radio while keying up 300 watts. If the ground straps/wires are too long the RF won't see them.

I learned this stuff the hard way like getting shocked from touching the radio while keying up 300 watts. If the ground straps/wires are too long the RF won't see them.
Given your current avatar......

My experience is try to keep no possibilities for ground loops and keep the grounds short and big as possible. My first truck I bonded I had problems after. But once I did the 2nd try it was better, also had about 10' of strapping left over as well.

If a ground wire is 1/8 wavelength "or multiple there of" then it stops being a ground and starts acting like a receiving antenna.rf only travels on the outside of a wire so a wide flat braid is far better then #2 wire "also cheaper" keep all ground straps just as short as possible . I myself used 2 inch wide ground strap and never made a length over 10 inches long . If you take the time to strap your exhaust system your receive noise will lower drastically on most vehicles.

If the antenna is bolted to the metal tool box, the tool box to the bed, then all you'd really need is to make sure the bed is 'bolted' to the frame of the truck (makes good electrical connection). There's no need for a separate ground wire from antenna mount to the frame. Think about it...
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.