• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MOBILE INSTALL: 579 Peterbilt

Now home first time since 9/18

Changed the radio back to the recently-acquired Galaxy 86v.
Found the narrow-width rack to make the install.

Power lines close by here at home. Literal feet away from parking spot so engine-off is almost always 5-S.

Hooked up a trusty RK56.

Went thru the tuner to first examine and second do some TLC as one control had gotten loose. Wondered if there was light bulb to change, (no), so time to see if In the rats nest the meter power cable pulled apart.

Tomorrow time to find some RF Bond points and just have it under cabin to frame.

Now home first time since 9/18

Changed the radio back to the recently-acquired Galaxy 86v.
Found the narrow-width rack to make the install.

Power lines close by here at home. Literal feet away from parking spot so engine-off is almost always 5-S.

Hooked up a trusty RK56.

Went thru the tuner to first examine and second do some TLC as one control had gotten loose. Wondered if there was light bulb to change, (no), so time to see if In the rats nest the meter power cable pulled apart.

Tomorrow time to find some RF Bond points and just have it under cabin to frame.

Ya know....when you get yours right....and iffn ya ever get bored or miss working on it or what not....I have this GMC you can tinker with...LOL

Reactions: Slowmover
Ya know....when you get yours right....and iffn ya ever get bored or miss working on it or what not....I have this GMC you can tinker with...LOL

That’s in the thread:
(Mobile) Puck Mount.

Jokes aside, the repeated attempts to run uphill with too much carried in my arms does make me better at scouting terrain. Which way up the slope? “Visualization”. A Class 8 is intimidating. But not as much as before. (Start over. Try again. There’s an end to all things).

Ran into one of our drivers out in Virginia, and, as with others, preached the Gospel of Elmer (Saint Homer) as most drivers have fixed opinions.(Belief in Satans lies; give up and roll over because CB is crap, can’t make it work, can’t afford special stuff, etc).

— Ones voice (testimony) can alter events to the good around him and others is what I’d have them grasp.

A big truck is something of a prison cell. The highway a penitentiary.
Penance, not so much a heavy load when shared with others.

I stress that it’s not the opinion one holds in the face of adversity, but the confidence ones voice carries.

So, brother 144inBama, those days foretold are here. And you ain’t on this subject by “accident”. Neither are those drivers who’ve shown an interest. Other drivers listen to them already.

“There’s nothing on the road ahead can’t be dealt with”, kind of men.

It’s not in having answers. It’s in borrowing some of His confidence to put into that microphone. (Keep at the install until you KNOW it’s right). A lot is at stake.

The Peace that surpasses understanding.

The still, small, quiet voice.

(Needs a GOOD installation).

Last edited:
There’s a lot riding on this:

I plan to have a little fun, myself. For when it’s a road jam and chaotic in societal breakdown locally, Is this the exit to the Promised Land just ahead? across the radio won’t be a joke, but one will have to wait for that feeling to subside among others.

Then it’s a silent prayer . . and from the ensuing quiet within one to get all these rigs unfucked — in a proper gear, rolling — and headed towards their true home is the wish to be expressed aloud. (His words, not mine).

Being abandoned by the world of men merely makes things clear.

Confidence
our joint destination is not of this world (is what others with ears shall hear). Make your radio rig worthy. The rope bridge between worlds.

And

Pass this along.

Last edited:
Reactions: 144inBama
That’s in the thread:
(Mobile) Puck Mount.

Jokes aside, the repeated attempts to run uphill with too much carried in my arms does make me better at scouting terrain. Which way up the slope? “Visualization”. A Class 8 is intimidating. But not as much as before. (Start over. Try again. There’s an end to all things).

Ran into one of our drivers out in Virginia, and, as with others, preached the Gospel of Elmer (Saint Homer) as most drivers have fixed opinions.(Belief in Satans lies; give up and roll over because CB is crap, can’t make it work, can’t afford special stuff, etc).

— Ones voice (testimony) can alter events to the good around him and others is what I’d have them grasp.

A big truck is something of a prison cell. The highway a penitentiary.
Penance, not so much a heavy load when shared with others.

I stress that it’s not the opinion one holds in the face of adversity, but the confidence ones voice carries.

So, brother 144inBama, those days foretold are here. And you ain’t on this subject by “accident”. Neither are those drivers who’ve shown an interest. Other drivers listen to them already.

“There’s nothing on the road ahead can’t be dealt with”, kind of men.

It’s not in having answers. It’s in borrowing some of His confidence to put into that microphone. (Keep at the install until you KNOW it’s right). A lot is at stake.

The Peace that surpasses understanding.

The still, small, quiet voice.

(Needs a GOOD installation).

Wow, you nailed it! I had to go back and read that a second time because it's worded so well.

Wow, you nailed it! I had to go back and read that a second time because it's worded so well.

You may have had other in mind as you wrote that versus my response below (thank you). This thing became more than me a while back.

The worthy use of social media is in writing. It clarifys one’s mind.

Hearts, Hands & Voices

That,
for which the heart yearns,
For which a voice needs right words:
Engage your hands in His work.
(A hymn, sounds).

Last edited:
Got out the Dremel and smeared some Burndy brew around to attach a GATES 90331 graphite static strap I’ve had for years, and a cheap SS cable to the rearmost crossmember on existing pair of bolts.

Neither quite reaches the ground at rest, but I’ll get the rear air-ride Ride Height set (again) at the next service to lower it properly. Then will adjust or replace these two.

Can’t say either will be Static Control, but here’s to hoping.

K0BG recommends 3/16” vinyl-covered aircraft cable. Splay tips & sharpen. (Got the splayed part).

Still too tired to have crawl under the truck and then back out several times. RF Bonds on hold (but made a bunch for the pickup).

Radio stack under overhead console now nicely smaller than before.
The 86V is sharper than the 99V2 (at present).

Sitting outside Palm Springs, CA at local 0615.

With the RF Gain backed down to the 11-12:00 position and Squelch to similar — and the pre-amp on the KL 203-P kicked in - I plugged & unplugged the charger to “see” what’s up on the S-Meter.

The Signal Meter moves up 2-S.

(My Garmin GPS and phone are both plugged into it; are always within two feet of radio stack).

This dial positioning of SQ & RF is generally the quietest (at the time before dawn); adding the pre-amp at this clock time (on AM) doesn’t usually add performance.

Sure shows up the RFI, though.

I’ve bettered (lessened) the charger problem earlier, but it’s still “too much”. (Am happy with progress in re system noise abatement otherwise; with more to come).

Big truck mobile a LONG ways from base station comparable.

(Previous owner noted “hot receive” and used 11:00; still true, though I don’t always leave it there; I’m mainly on AM and change settings with the days problems. A decent comp).

Reactions: 144inBama
Automotive USB cell chargers are definitely the worst. I've been thinking about just making my own out of an old school LM7805 voltage reg. Who cares about efficiency when the engine is running lol

Automotive USB cell chargers are definitely the worst. I've been thinking about just making my own out of an old school LM7805 voltage reg. Who cares about efficiency when the engine is running lol

Yes. With other noises gone at night, it’s still present MORE than just noticeably. During noisy daytime it’s a part of the noise floor much, much harder to measure (after treating; see Post #193).

This present one is a WILSON (ROADPRO) “extension” recently bought. Two (2) cigar lighter outlets and two (2) USB ports at the end of a thin cord. Very handy shape and size. Used it to make cord management “better” per device location.

BE6ED1BA-D6A4-4501-A0E8-ABCBF87B5519.jpeg

I also have a WILSON single outlet on a VERY long HD cord. Both kept aboard as a pair. Can move power anywhere. (An OTR fleet tractor in which one lives several weeks at a time requires work-arounds)

D5B649B1-5F66-4A09-9437-7BA1F76B6FAA.jpeg

I’ve no problem in recommending either of them. Others tried were unbelievably bad. (Find at any major truck stop chain with CB gear).

Guess I’ll have to repair the shoddy second c-l dash outlet as best approach. GPS to first and phone to second.

Otherwise, it’ll have to be a whole new approach to run GPS and keep phone on charger.

Last edited:
Well I am slowly making progress. You got me to join The Church of Ferrites. I am a true believer now.
IMG_0715.jpg
Turns out most of my junk was getting in to the radio up the power cord. A few winds around a #31 and I think I have 90% of it beat. The difference between running or not is only 1 S-unit. I also made up a RG142 jumper to go to where the amp will live. When my 240mm ferrites come for the antenna I will upgrade that run too. Also got a few more of the snap ones to go around the speaker and PA cords and a small one for the mic.

IMG_0725.jpg

Last edited:
Well I am slowly making progress. You got me to join The Church of Ferrites. I am a true believer now.
View attachment 41296
Turns out most of my junk was getting in to the radio up the power cord. A few winds around a #31 and I think I have 90% of it beat. The difference between running or not is only 1 S-unit. I also made up a RG142 jumper to go to where the amp will live. When my 240mm ferrites come for the antenna I will upgrade that run too. Also got a few more of the snap ones to go around the speaker and PA cords and a small one for the mic.

View attachment 41297

Ferrites aren’t dirt-cheap, but it’s close enough.

The experiment is the thing.
The right mix for the problem.
The time to wind up a toroid “correctly”.

My favorite: don’t forget anything.

Seems easy to say, “okay, I’m going to treat each end of each cable. Every type”. And then forget the mic cord staring you in the face.

Or, my latest: “forget” the three cords to power phone, GPS and charge headset. Got the charger! (but not what’s connected).

I can’t say it always works.
I haven’t done diligence testing.
Apply and go.

It MAY NOT be the best approach to do everything with Mixes 31 & 61.
But it’s a start.

Sometimes it’s been obvious what to treat.

Other related filters have done more:

1). Palomar CMNF-1500 between coax & tuner
2). Palomar CMNF-500 between radio and amp
3). Morgan 411cb bandpass filter between amp & tuner.

Noise INSIDE the truck has been harder as EXTERNAL sources seem part of it. I sort of know how noise will go up with sunrise. With my turning on genset. With my turning on engine. Etc.

I can’t walk around to check while underway. Need a helper and an RF sniffer for that. A car or pickup may be frustrating, but ownership has privileges. Fewer systems to mess with.

And, as I’ve said above, whatever is excess to big truck needs just goes to other installs for family. (Helps the spending pain).

“Ferrites? Gitcha a 5-gallon bucketful and go to town!”

Last edited:
Reactions: cralt

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?