• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MOBILE INSTALL: 579 Peterbilt

Radio is in and I’m parked in an electrically-noisy section of a big truck stop parking lot.

Thus, the 99V2 isn’t a great deal quieter than the Lincoln II+ with the fiberglass Francis antenna.

A). The “audio quality” differences with the Linc are as I tried to describe them: it has a distinct edge in relaying vocal intonation.

B). But the 99V2 has the edge in my understanding the distance of the signal received. More audio “punch” translated, so to speak.

I get out of this parking lot and maybe over this weekend can do more back to back comparisons where immediate noise is not such a problem (S9 plus).

Both radios “exhibit” noisy receive. So chalk up the truck and attendant radio systems to a general level of background.

The 99 is easier to turn down RF & SQ to acceptable levels. Never goes away.

The Linc cuts more with its controls but has a “hiss” the 99 does not.

With all this, both have exceptional audio quality; the edge is strongly to the Linc. Both are well past a typical big truck with external speaker level of quality.

The Dax-99v2 is simply easier to use while underway. And the Linc deserves a better antenna to work with.

— A long day of traffic, wrecks and construction in rain and a major metro area to get past (9-hours to get 370-miles) had the 99 in constant use and at both distance plus heavy radio traffic.

— Don’t have the punch of a Big Radio I was following by about a mile, but he didn’t have ears to go with it.

The current antenna (5’ Skipshooter) on a TOP GUN TECH Door Mirror Mount isn’t as well grounded as needs be. SWR is fine, but “noise” is real.

The PALOMAR ENGINEERS Line Isolator into the 411cb Bandpass filter and thence past the amp to a P-E coax filter is responsible for better audio (voice quality) as thru a DSP speaker. (Sure would be hard to run without these). When a voice comes thru it is clear & distinct.

— Have ordered a 6’ Skipshooter to get maximum antenna height.

— Am going to try running wire or ground strap to antenna mount bolts.

— The KL7405V to pair with the DX-99V2 once back home.

Reactions: Eldorado828
— Don’t have the punch of a Big Radio I was following by about a mile, but he didn’t have ears to go with it.

OMG!

A "Gator" station...

Sigh...

All mouth, no ears...
tenor.gif

For further emphasis...

The 99 is easier to turn down RF & SQ to acceptable levels. Never goes away.

The Linc cuts more with its controls but has a “hiss” the 99 does not.

I said something about this earlier...Galaxy is liked, endeared - loved, not only for it's looks, but by how the radio is so easy to operate - Even a Ham Operator in a Drunken Stupor can operate one and still stay on the channel everyone's mocking them on.

OMG!

A "Gator" station...

Sigh...

All mouth, no ears...
tenor.gif

For further emphasis...

I said something about this earlier...Galaxy is liked, endeared - loved, not only for it's looks, but by how the radio is so easy to operate - Even a Ham Operator in a Drunken Stupor can operate one and still stay on the channel everyone's mocking them on.

Yes. A DX-series Galaxy is a high-speed, low-drag mobile radio at 64-mph. Adjusting for ambient conditions or swapping back & forth from AM to LSB, the actions required are simple to remember and positive in action. It’s a great tool, all-around.

If Radio (CB) had been from Uniden 76/Cobra 29 to digital “modern” radios — having missed out on Galaxy (maybe a Ranger or Connex as substitute) — the whole experience of talking up some excitable subject would have been the poorer.

Despite valid criticism from understanding high quality radio thus looking askance at the type, they’re a barrel of fun to let out the clutch and engage.

In the right hands this type can be the baritone at the general store cracker barrel entertaining all who enter. Carries. Echoes a touch.

Though we may dissuade ourselves and others from modifying radios, chasing audio quality with a Galaxy is worth the effort. Get it just right.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Despite valid criticism from understanding high quality radio thus looking askance at the type, they’re a barrel of fun to let out the clutch and engage.

In the right hands this type can be the baritone at the general store cracker barrel entertaining all who enter. Carries. Echoes a touch.

Though we may dissuade ourselves and others from modifying radios, chasing audio quality with a Galaxy is worth the effort. Get it just right.

For the "ribbing" the makers get, they are the "open architecture" pearls that many "noobs" overlook in the ocean of Knowledge that swims before them - never knowing how, where, or what, radio really is.

Sometimes the Family car needs to be driven...

Reactions: Slowmover
I had many different radios when I was big into the hobby in the late '90's-early 2000's. My favorite go to in the truck was my Galaxy77hml, which I still have! Alas, it needs a lot of work now! I don't know if I want to pour a bunch of money into a 20+ year old radio. Ran it with a KLV203p, FC390 freq. counter, Aries 460 SWR/power meter and one Wilson 2000 on the driver's side mirror. Talked all over the world during that cycle on SSB and it boomed on AM! Drift? Oh hell yea! Break wind after a couple of tacos and adjust freq accordingly! Was easy to use and I enjoyed it!
The Delta Force I had was a radio that was also very good. Kinda like a Galaxy with it's great AM audio, but rock solid on SSB. The memory channels were outstanding! Push 2 buttons and go from 27.185 AM to 27.475 LSB! Only drawback was the controls had a cheap feel about them.
The HR2600 that I had was highly modified by Doc's Electronics and was an outstanding SSB radio. Still the best receiver I ever had the pleasure of operating but it was not user friendly driving down the road.
Present radio in use right now is the Anytone 6666. I really like it! It has kept the 955 in the closet at home due to it's superior receive, at least with whatever mods that were done to the 6666. I purchased it used and even though it was claimed to have been modded in the N.M. desert I have my doubts!
Of course today the WM clrSpkr is a must have for my mobile station!

Now if I could only find a 99v2.............

JD

I had many different radios when I was big into the hobby in the late '90's-early 2000's. My favorite go to in the truck was my Galaxy77hml, which I still have! Alas, it needs a lot of work now! I don't know if I want to pour a bunch of money into a 20+ year old radio. Ran it with a KLV203p, FC390 freq. counter, Aries 460 SWR/power meter and one Wilson 2000 on the driver's side mirror. Talked all over the world during that cycle on SSB and it boomed on AM! Drift? Oh hell yea! Break wind after a couple of tacos and adjust freq accordingly! Was easy to use and I enjoyed it!
The Delta Force I had was a radio that was also very good. Kinda like a Galaxy with it's great AM audio, but rock solid on SSB. The memory channels were outstanding! Push 2 buttons and go from 27.185 AM to 27.475 LSB! Only drawback was the controls had a cheap feel about them.
The HR2600 that I had was highly modified by Doc's Electronics and was an outstanding SSB radio. Still the best receiver I ever had the pleasure of operating but it was not user friendly driving down the road.
Present radio in use right now is the Anytone 6666. I really like it! It has kept the 955 in the closet at home due to it's superior receive, at least with whatever mods that were done to the 6666. I purchased it used and even though it was claimed to have been modded in the N.M. desert I have my doubts!
Of course today the WM clrSpkr is a must have for my mobile station!

Now if I could only find a 99v2.............

JD

Bought the 99V2 because it was both in-stock at Clays Radio (complete custom truck install from ground up) and it wouldn’t ever need a stupid-heavy power cord (10A); in fact it was run off of a fuse tap in that 367 Pete

I don’t recall the other choices except that all needed HD wiring. And I knew I’d be moving to other trucks eventually.

The Wilson 2000’s on those West Coast mirror arms (and pulling tankers, not vans) really made it shine.

A KL-203 is hardly necessary with it, but I don’t figure extra wattage will hurt me (extra work needed for HD power as a precaution). To run a 7405 (20A) or 7505 (30A) is part of the fun as when I ran it in a Freightliner with twin 7’ Skipshooters.

Until I obtained the Lincoln II+ it has been the reference for FUN! as it was easily better than the PC-76 I’d been using (tuned once and never touched again) since 1998. The DSP speaker opened me to trying yet more HAM Radio accessories. This all-new rig was a quantum leap from where I’d been with that 76 & a 5’ Wilson Silverload plus the truck speaker

The voice changer (with eeexxxtttrrraa echo) has its moments a few times a year.
Just need to add echo to the roger beep to stay after the on-air asswipes in a grating monotone:. “Hey dood, what’s your name? What’s your home address?” (Repetitively).

Last edited:
Reactions: ForestRunner98
Bought the 99V2 because it was both in-stock at Clays Radio (complete custom truck install from ground up) and it wouldn’t ever need a stupid-heavy power cord (10A); in fact it was run off of a fuse tap in that 367 Pete

I don’t recall the other choices except that all needed HD wiring. And I knew I’d be moving to other trucks eventually.

The Wilson 2000’s on those West Coast mirror arms (and pulling tankers, not vans) really made it shine.

A KL-203 is hardly necessary with it, but I don’t figure extra wattage will hurt me (extra work needed for HD power as a precaution). To run a 7405 (20A) or 7505 (30A) is part of the fun as when I ran it in a Freightliner with twin 7’ Skipshooters.

Until I obtained the Lincoln II+ it has been the reference for FUN! as it was easily better than the PC-76 I’d been using (tuned once and never touched again) since 1998. The DSP speaker opened me to trying yet more HAM Radio accessories. This all-new rig was a quantum leap from where I’d been with that 76 & a 5’ Wilson Silverload plus the truck speaker

The voice changer (with eeexxxtttrrraa echo) has its moments a few times a year.
Just need to add echo to the roger beep to stay after the on-air asswipes in a grating monotone:. “Hey dood, what’s your name? What’s your home address?” (Repetitively).

I basically just used the KL203 on SSB. With the Galaxy on low,1w DK, it would swing close to 200w on the Aries watt meter. Helped get over the pileups on 27.475! That Delta Force did have a sick echo! Turn both knobs all the way to the right and it would go on forever!
Good times.......

JD

Reactions: Slowmover
Tried a just-acquired 6’ Skipshooter on the door mount. Pushing luck with wind strain and potential strikes at 14’6”.

But more than a foot above the trailer is sure tempting.

May be wrapping up this thread as am changing jobs. No idea what the next tractor will be. A Volvo is said to ride better than the competition, and I’d like to try one.

If so, I’ll write a summary post that’ll get all the worthwhile info into it on doing up a 579 Peterbilt.

Did you try the 6 footer out?

Yes, but without trailer. As it also better clears the tractor body, some contacts on 19 tried locally I suspect wouldn’t have been heard the several miles I was from the two Interstates nearby (I was in familiar areas on a non-work-day).

9’
7’
6’
5’
4.5’

— as a set of sets now completed gives me a full set of top load antennas (plus SS whips) to tackle any big truck co-phase. Or, travel with an identical backup.

Last edited:
To “finish” this thread (three similar 579 Peterbilts; two truck companies) I’ll note four (4) posts as starting points:

1). Posts 1-110 is pretty well about HD cabling to run a radio stack sitting in passenger seat. 30A 225W

2). Post #166 is where I started to get a better conceptual feel for what I wanted to accomplish given restrictions.

3): Post #244 is where I really was getting a handle on Noise!

4). Post #287 is the final iteration where noise has abated and the radios really shine.

In the course of this thread I’ve had at least five (5) radios, four (4) amps, five (5) sets of antennas; four (4) power cords; four (4) runs of coax; four (4) antenna mount types; more than a dozen (12) snap ferrites; five (5) ferrite toroids; three (3) coax four filters; and one (1) Bandpass filter. Plus a mobile tuner.

Seven (7) microphones; and I went completely thru more than 750 zip ties in the many, many changes made.

— What advice?

1). Stay with factory antenna mounts plus coax and add a Palomar Engineers CMNF-500 coax filter at the end of the cophase harness.

2). Use 25’ of USCG-approved 8-AWG cable to the battery thru air line panel and to battery. Cover all in split loom. Bussman termination fuse at BATT +.

— There’s a very bad pinch point making the turn from the upper A-pillar turn to the console opening. Needs a fish tape AND avoiding disturbing air horn mechanism.

3). Drill 9/16 hole thru curtain track to left of radio so that console plastic panel is not in way of using #10 Stainless with star washer to run POWER — to ground (this is huge; my BIGGEST problem until it was done).

— You can get to antenna mount grounds to grind powdercoat away as it’s DIRECTLY above door behind panel. I also bonded all four (4) door hinges plus cab to frame at all four (4) corners. (This clean up plus Neg ground to overhead steel shelf is what takes the truck to a new level).

4). Wrap excess power line (equal amounts of POS/NEG) thru a fat MIX 61 snap ferrite.

5) POWERWERX PD-8 APP 12V distribution: use Anderson Power Poles to connect radio gear. Getting gear in & out of that overhead not as easy as it looks. Leave slack.

6). West Mountain Radio CLEARSPEECH DSP Speaker to drivers overhead above door. Velcro base to back of opening and use zip ties to build two (2) straps to go around shock cords. The farther back the speaker sits. the better (don’t change this). Will need extended lines. (Front to Rear meant; speaker in front of cords).

7). An RM-Italy KL-203, velcroed, will sit atop the radio of your choice in the console (can’t use faceplate with larger than Cobra 29 size). Gets quite hot up there in summer.

8). Buy short high quality jumpers from DX-E or similar. Use AMPHENOL adapters to make turns (no strain on coax).

— Optional: I used ferrites on every single piece of power or coax or audio.

9). . Aftermarket microphone. Astatic 636L was best for me. M-61 ferrite near handset.

10). Have to learn how to use an amplified speaker with a radio. Almost eight (8) controls can be manipulated to get sound volume, filtering, etc to what you think best. (See thread on speaker).

11). President McKinley is the least quality/brand of AM/SSB radio I’d recommend. The more expensive Galaxy DX-86V was a real favorite of mine.

(See threads on the KL-203 to understand about getting DK low on the radio. 75W a reasonable output.)

12). WILSON 2000 on 10” shafts plus the long whip was the best combination on the factory antenna mounts. Gets above trailer slightly.

— My final radio install included yet more details + gear, but the above is pretty much what I’d move straight into another 579 Peterbilt.

Obviously there’s a lot more detail in the thread (a lot of impressions about changes).

The many posts by other members in this thread made this series of attempts, of stops & starts, much easier to bear. I am indebted to them for their consistent support, insights, experience and suggestions.

Thank you all.

Last edited:
Wow SLO when you start adding all the work you did on the rig I don’t think there are many out there with the same level of radio work!!

I work hard (but I’m not gonna say smart).

Let’s say:
I won’t have to work that hard again on a big truck. The 579 sucks for radio install. ALL THE OTHERS are easier (as I’ve already done them except Volvo/Mack).

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.