• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MOBILE INSTALL: 579 Peterbilt

A pair of mirror-bolt mounts similar to what’s available for a Freightliner Cascadia would be great to run big uns.

Unfortunately, none available for a 579. The bolt-space pattern is an inch longer.

It’s why I ordered a pair of 102” as I’d run into several drivers happy with same.

Already have 7’ Skipshooter pair. On a FL I used to drive that pair was such that, If I could hear them, then they could hear me.

Over a year ago I had a man do a takeoff for a blueprint for the 579, but that fell apart as a venture.

So the current set-up is:

1). Wilson 2000 antennas on included 10” shafts on the Peterbilt mounts. The shorter whip, but 1.5”+ probably has to come off (to match 55” height) as antennas are on Hustler QD

2). Factory coax left alone.

3). Power run from BATT box with ANCOR 10/2 Duplex. Reduced to 12-ga at near end. POS fused at BATT.
Fat big ferrite toroid DC distribution box.

4). Ferrites for each power lead: radio & speaker.

5). Ferrites at each end of audio cable to speaker. (“Secured” lines to box with some zip tie deviltry before placing in console rear).

C307B777-5271-4598-89B9-9D6A4E53262C.jpeg

6). MORGAN SYSTEMS 411b BANDPASS FILTER from radio

7). RG8 jumper to PALOMAR ENGINEERS COAX FILTER

8). Radio is now the GALAXY 99v2 plus a ASTATIC 636L dialed in for it as done by Clays Radio Shop some years back.

Low Power: 02.25W, modulates 15W
High Power: 15.00W, modulates 30W

B0B70C33-29B7-4C9E-8C2E-199FE270A765.jpeg

Compare this to Eldorado828 super clean install in his KW 880. (President Walker thread). The 680 has the same cab and is greatly similar to this PACCAR sister. That’s the expected look.

But, heh-heh, THIS one has the coveted endless echo, robot voice and sooper-annoying Roger Bip. And big ol’ boomin’ Galaxy audio.

The Eldo may LOOK good, . . . but someone’s haulin’ cash, and someone’s haulin’ trash.

(Okay, worked that red out of my neck).

Coax Box Filters are shown with covers removed in a post above.

Speaker now slid forward as lines shortened.

Re-check of DC power and antenna tuning with truckstop meter are next.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard U812
Like that right angle mic plug

Can’t recommend that tiny mod highly enough. (Repeat 3X).

Why, it’s SO good that Eldo might get his modulation back up he tries it!

Or maybe he just swaps in his own sooper-dooper 99v2 into that poor cousin Kenworth.

(Okay, NOW the crick is gone. Have to run from south of DC up past NYC tomorrow. Just finished planning the LONG way around that mess).

You read this, 828, be kind enough to post up that pic you did with Gear Hanger mod.
Thx.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard U812
Can’t recommend that tiny mod highly enough. (Repeat 3X).

Why, it’s SO good that Eldo might get his modulation back up he tries it!

Or maybe he just swaps in his own sooper-dooper 99v2 into that poor cousin Kenworth.

(Okay, NOW the crick is gone. Have to run from south of DC up past NYC tomorrow. Just finished planning the LONG way around that mess).

You read this, 828, be kind enough to post up that pic you did with Gear Hanger mod.
Thx.
Yeah. With the uptick reported you may be hauling cargo for Undertaker. NO has resorted to refers also. Sad. Better check that Bill of Laiden closely.

And perhaps a good set of clothespins to defer the odor...

You can always tell them you're "Recycling"

That’ll be the TYVEK coveralls with gloves taped to sleeves.
Self-contained breathing apparatus. Etc.

The standard for retchingly-rotted corpse removal.

A brand-new Penske tractor and brand-new reefer.
Signs taped to each. Vague state agency.

Avoid

Reactions: Handy Andy
Forgot the thread, but a contributor noted that adding a ferrite to the mike cord at the radio cut problems.

Boy, and how!

A short search didn’t help me find it to thank him, but here’s to hoping he’ll read it.

(Funny, I no longer hear myself from several places when speaking, ha!)

Had limited mike use till solved.

54C09903-5FC9-4FFB-861F-5D58F54A4DCD.jpeg

Interference

So, as of this morning, at a typical truckstop parked between two dry vans with engines silent and no APU use (same way here),

1) I’m seeing 1-1.5 S-Units as the minimum
— Squelch off & Gain at maximum
—. Key in ACCESS/OFF/RUN makes no change.

2). Engine on/off = no change
HVAC on/off is same

3). Use of wipers/washers is momentary change.

4). APU use (or use of appliances, etc from inverter) makes a jump to
3+ S-units (AC while parked would be “problem”).

5). Other than this it’s location. Occasion.

— Location can be almost a killer. An hour or overnight.

— Occasion are some other trucks with I-don’t-know-what being radiated. The random car or pickup, too. (Which can be a bit spooky after dark)

I’ve re-tested SWR with Astatic meter and I’m 1.7 or no higher across all channels. (Get back to them later).

Near “dead silent” is only in rural area when away from all else.
Typically a night I’m parked roadside. Then, what can be heard is Iike seeing the Milky Way.

Interference
— Occasion are some other trucks with I-don’t-know-what being radiated. The random car or pickup, too. (Which can be a bit spooky after dark)

I'd have to say this on behalf of actually needing some type of alarm system...

The noise the other trucks make during the winter and summer months - causes many of them to just "idle" away - while not a big deal - it can help someone fall asleep with the constant level of droning going on - you touched on something I have used at night as a means to catch "pumpers" either vandalizing or trying to steal fuel from parked trucks - including mine...

That "spooky" noise rises in volume and noise S-meter level as a noisy fuel pump vehicle cruises by - it can alert you to the fact that you may have a visitor and you need to secure your truck.

Forgot the thread, but a contributor noted that adding a ferrite to the mike cord at the radio cut problems.

Boy, and how!

A short search didn’t help me find it to thank him, but here’s to hoping he’ll read it.

(Funny, I no longer hear myself from several places when speaking, ha!)

Had limited mike use till solved.

View attachment 36153
Helps if you turn off that talkback and roger beeps. I know how you like those, along with that fascinating echo....echo....echo....echo....echooo

Reactions: Slowmover
They’re off.

As to use,

a hammer of every shape, size or weight.

Select the right one for the instantaneous dead blow.

Rarely used. Yet, . .

Saints, preserve us, as there’s no end of whiny-baby truck drivers.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.