• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MOBILE INSTALL: 579 Peterbilt

The ClearSpeaker is mighty expensive, looking into modifying some of those surround sound speakers for use. I have one with a 8 ohm that gets loud, brings in all of it. But don't think it will perform well in truck. 5 inch exhaust is loud.

The computer speaker has better sound but not loud. Definitely not applicable.

Got to be a way to add resistor or cap to the Sony.

Reactions: Slowmover
The ClearSpeaker is mighty expensive, looking into modifying some of those surround sound speakers for use. I have one with a 8 ohm that gets loud, brings in all of it. But don't think it will perform well in truck. 5 inch exhaust is loud.

The computer speaker has better sound but not loud. Definitely not applicable.

Got to be a way to add resistor or cap to the Sony.

The quality of the speaker is high. But the point to acquiring one is its built-in variable digital signal processing.

DSP isn’t confined to this mobile speaker, obviously . Both WM and BHI offer stand-alone units to go between source and audio speaker. (See DX Engineering).

Others might say it’s cuts the noise. It does. I’d like to emphasize that the effect is as though you can now hear around the noise. So much so that you’ll find your CB or 10-Meter Export is a good deal better in reception than you thought (even starting with a good opinion).

It’s not a replacement for other avenues of noise reduction. It’s icing on the cake.

There’s a sweet spot between transceiver RF Gain + Speaker volume against ClearSpeaker volume (I set it at 12:00).

Where extraneous noise has some control over it — and outside noisy areas — it’s not at all unusual to NOT use ANL in addition to running Gain wide-open and Squelch effectively Off.

Then there’s night in a rural area:

It’s “funny” to have so many conversations appear so as to have to reduce Gain such that one is able to follow THREE conversations at once. (It May be more than six people).

Maybe only one conversation is nearby. And it’s not skip.

Last edited:
That's what I always enjoyed about the Nighttime arrivals to await (un)loads in the morning - you can get a flair for the ones that take the hobby seriously enough to take in the suggestions for local flavor and enjoy something not always on the menus at the local Truck Stops...

Back when...I was curious about the 885, and sorry to see noise issues around it. But thanks for sticking with the "footprints" the Bearcat line has - at least it was an easy exchange...

As I was going into the edge of metro NYC which hasn’t been American since the Civil War, a good Radio was paramount.

Sure enough, coming off the NJ Turnpike onto the IH287 Loop, someone “lost” a set of trailer tandems.

You’re on your way to work, bopping along in that special NE gray drizzle before daylight in your rust box with wheels, and here’s what passes you.

6685CC5F-11EE-49CB-91B5-EC846451A56D.jpeg

At least, it’s a memorable way to punch the clock. Your friends will never have to scratch their heads, “well, can’t remember, was it a heart attack got old Fred”?

At least two morons hit it.

Doing a 34-reset in Ohio (70-hours in 8-days allowed; clock reset).

Chores to do, but may start to see if I can gain easy access to interior side of antenna mounts. Essentially they’re behind the overhead console.

If so, then it appears I have a bit of extra length on the co-phase harness given what’s at center. I’ll try to get a few wraps around a pair of ferrite toroids I used for the same in the past.

Installing the PALOMAR Coax Filter (seen above) cut noise noticeably. Still not enough. The Bandpass Filter (also seen above) then added gave me “perfect” SWR, ha!

The overhead console houses power to LED clearance lights above the windshield. And power to radio plus a GPS satellite truck locator.

If nothing else, I’ll see if if I can figure out how much noise (guesstimate) is added by these (or not). Go thru what’s hooked up and what’s-what with ignition/device turned on and/or engine running.

Have all of today to try. But it was a 3500-mile week SAT thru FR and the usual chores tend to take more than what a bright morning promises lays ahead.

But all you guys are age 27 or so, right?

Old man aches have no relevance between my ears this early in the day. I’m at the honorary age of 27 at this writing.

Installing the PALOMAR Coax Filter (seen above) cut noise noticeably. Still not enough. The Bandpass Filter (also seen above) then added gave me “perfect” SWR, ha!

Noticed those wondered if they did the job or were just bought and used because. I get bad RF here at high humidity or when ever. Had often wondered about those.

As in post that accompanied pics above, yes, it does.

My approach has been “help” at each end with mobile.
Remove this one to test if it is necessary. So far, it stays attached.

Big trucks generate a whole world of hurt.

Reactions: USXDriver
Finally back home. Three weeks and 8,700-miles. Now it is time to get that overhead console pulled away. Don’t have to worry about it being back together tomorrow.

See YT video
(Damon Bramel; 12/17/2019; 1:36”)
“579 Peterbilt wiring hidden by the headliner”

for a view of what’s back there.

Doesn’t show how to get started removing panel covers, but does show the

PETERBILT ANTENNA-ASSY MASC2CAP3

backside with installed ground strap; the Peoplenet sat transceiver/locator, and clearance lamp wiring as well as CB radio binding posts. Etc. Worth finding the vid.

Got my gennywine WILSON FME-ended CO-phase Mini-8 harness at hand. Looks like I’ve had it about (5) years. (I’ll have to check with my museum curator mentor to see if that’s long enough on the shelf)

A pair of ft240-31 toroids to frap some windings.

Standing in the truck at Chillicothe, OH and again in FL on off days didn’t yield insight on where to start. (Takes a good 24’ to recover energy. Stupid is stupid does. I resisted ).

So, I’ll start at the door sill. Has screws. Understand those. Then, up the A-pillar I go. As some ANCOR 10-2 Duplex also needs to go in.

My 60’ of 3/4” RFDavis 7-awg equivalent flat-weave tinned copper braid arrived (mainly for the CTD), so I’ll make a few RF bonds for the truck (door hinges and mirrors). Hopefully the tinned copper lugs arrive today.

I’ll try the Workman Coax Static Arrestor again with a braided ground. Same for the MORGAN Bandpass Filter. Run one to the radio case for S&G. All to same point, since my $$ McMaster-Carr order also showed up (internal/external star washers plus #10s, etc).

I’ll see if I can’t “improve” the Pete antenna mount grounds with that fancy washer or paint removal, etc.

Overall idea here (at this point) is to make the factory radio location and antenna mounts work as well as they can when given 10-awg battery power plus “better” coax and some minor RF bonding.

To the casual observer of the truck — inside or out— it’s just different antennas installed.

But behind the first panel cover will be a
1). (new) KL203
2). plus Palomar Coax Filter
3). & Bandpass.
4). New coax with toroids.
5). A new ground point at that end.
6). (Plus at mounts if it looks good).

7). “Power” will be stealth-installed (covered in above posts; out air distribution panel at feet with cable glands) with toroids at several locations.

The second radio looks today like it will be passenger-seat mounted, but antenna will be similar to what fourstringburn shows in his review thread of the SIRIO 5000 on a Vulva (whoops, Volvo).

Second radio, as switching between AM-19 and SSB doesn’t lend itself to my way of wanting info available underway.

(There’s no dedicated mirror-arm brackets at present for the 579 Pete. Disheartening given their numbers).

Last edited:
1F93AAEC-9C96-48F4-AC53-DADB29D47AF7.jpeg

Ordered this 5”-L DC distribution box from DX ENGINEERING a few days ago. The cramped quarters of the factory radio mount location means difficulty in attachments. “Things” get installed in stages. Proper order, or no dice. The console opening is only a few inches high.

I’ll run the ANCOR 10-2 Duplex to this, and then — with Anderson Powerpoles — be able to easily connect 12V via longish wiring (connect while the below are outside of console) to:

1). Transceiver
2). Amplifier
3). DSP Mobile Speaker

Haven’t worked out how to better shield the WEST MOUNTAIN RADIO CLEARSPEAKER audio cable, but as I need one several feet longer, I’ll try BLUE JEANS CABLE for their advice.
(Yours welcomed)

Reactions: Redbeard U812
5D1F3A33-1BE3-432F-AEB4-505151304292.jpeg

“Borrowed”, some 3/4” braid from the pickup bonding project to do the (4) hinges on the (2) doors.

Also, “borrowed” some 2/0-size tinned lugs from the power run on the previous Pete as the latest batch ordered hasn’t arrived.

And my time-off got cut short. Leave early tomorrow, now.

Well, am glad to lay out some “thinking” as above while relaxed at home. But that dinged overhead stays as is for a few more weeks.

I’ll make some notes while OTR on where else I might RF Bond the Pete using existing bolt or screw holes.

Haven’t slowed since the above. Waved at the house as I went by. But did fit in a stop to pick up mail. Some more PALOMAR ENGINEERS ferrites arrived.

As haven’t slowed (enough time off) getting into the overhead hasn’t happened.

So, I’ll pretend progress is underway by monkeying around with the audio & power cables to the West Mountain Radio ClearSpeaker with some ferrite installs on those. Noise is noise is noise.

Treating symptoms versus causes. “Okay”, (said the drunk outside the bar), “I lost my car keys over there. But the light is better over here.”

On the road to America’s Deathtrap: Florida.

So, having verified the stock antenna mounts + coax are showing an SWR of from 1.7 to 1.8 from Channels 1-40 (MFJ-259; a stop at Larry’s CB in McKinney, TX took priority over going to the house)

Thus it is, that, busywork is todays single remedy; as,

While the Americans are at work, the parasites are chittering & foaming at the mouth in cleaning out the stores.

Behavior I figure will translate to the highways.
(Trump needs to suspend EMTALA).

NOTE: Found a .pdf haven’t yet read by Jim Brown (K9YC)
of Audio Systems Group, Inc., entitled,

“Understanding How Ferrites Can Prevent & Eliminate RF Interference to Audio Systems”.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
upload_2020-3-18_7-7-48.png
Found several drivers that used these a pets and rodent control while I was out on the road...

You may need backup...
On the road to America’s Deathtrap: Florida.

Corona or not, Be careful there. Some go in, but never make it back out...

(Oh, Sorry, you meant Ferrites, not Ferrets...)
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Florida:
A peninsula with no escape should the boogaloo commence. Produces nothing worth a fight, (can’t pay its own way), and exists off of transfer payments.

The Panhandle will be chopped off by those adjoining states.

Better have ready a 172-gal extended-range
BEECHCRAFT Baron G58 with full IFR suite.

“Reports” of plague-like disease will mean interdiction efforts near new borders. Land, sea & air.

A few snap-on ferrites on Power & Audio for the speaker have improved audio quality, but the transceiver sensitivity to RFI (still) needs to be ferreted out.

Reactions: Redbeard U812
“Reports” of plague-like disease will mean interdiction efforts near new borders. Land, sea & air.

That's what I mean, when I was driving in the days of that Ebola and H1N1 stuff, they were not as "Fussy" as they are now...

New York didn't have it's own Vintage Hand-Sanitizer - they just told you to wash your hands...

Didn't want you getting "Locked out" of the Good ol' USA - because some idiot sneezed on you...

Last edited:
I'm sure you will be logging alot of miles. Trump rescinded the 1938 law restrictions concerning OTR driver road time in order to expedite goods and needed supplies. You can drop that second log book for a spell.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.