• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

(Mobile) Lincoln II +

Right!!! Waiting on his antenna install too on his pick up.

The Peterbilt has its own genset for HVAC. My pickup, doesn’t.

While the antenna install looks straightforward, crawling around underneath to finish the RF Bond work (plus new and/or more DC Grounds) is more weather dependent.

I’ve also decided to remote-mount the amp, so there’s some fab work there. Radio mount location is greatly eased in difficulty thereby.

I do think the Linc will be “a natural” in the Dodge, meaning size and level of performance coupled to antenna(s) which can maximize its potential.

Get your ass home so I can read your review of the Lincoln!

JD

LOL! You and me both. It’s first going to go into the Peterbilt where I’m hamstrung on “best” antenna performance (RF Bond of antenna mounts), but I may just bypass the artificial barrier. Things aren’t improving in the USA.

The Liberty mic will be installed along with the Linc. I’m planning on walking the truck stop parking lot to do, “break 19 radio check”, from the other guys truck steps to spread the fun around. I’ll “sell” the package presented as being Uniden versus President as brand; the persuasion of the driver if he’s interested (gear demonstration).

Don’t have one of those handy laser range-finders so the other driver will be asked for his reckoning of how far to the Pete as second opinion.

The Liberty also to do some field strength measurements.

All in all: Think of the radio chosen as the genuine desire to have a capable SSB rig. I’ve had decent ears to now, but I believe this will be a step up in RX. It’ll be the better unit for FS measurements of TX before & after more antenna mount work.

Might also be an Anytone in the future. (Three mobile installs of mine and then on to sons). I need going forward the tools to make good on things (PEP Meter, Dummy Load, Antenna Analyzer, etc).

Glad y’all are along for the ride.

Last edited:
Lincoln installed in a too-short pair of days off after about a month on the road. (Details on the 579 thread).

1). Still need to access and grind off powdercoat at internal antenna mounts.

2). Wanting to try another set of antennas (such as SIRIO 5000 3/8 series).

3). Power upgrade (6-AWG) not done as order evaporated into thin air, but, hell, it was too cold to work outside.

4). Will be using stock mic for foreseeable future. A pair of others to be modded for functionality & upgrades are awaiting shipment.

5). The LIBERTY mic is along for the ride, haven’t installed as I need to install an APP power cord to run from my new 12V POWERWERX distribution box (was wondering what I’d do with four (4) outlets; ha!)

Am sitting at home at 0335 waiting for clock to roll around to 0700 or so to do last errands before off on next trip today.

Sitting at home isn’t a good much less great place to learn much about RX/TX from a big truck mobile. Too much “noise” in immediate environment.

Noise similar to the Uniden 980 which I’ll employ as foil in this initial impression. The $200 U980 + KL203 50W combo as against an integrated 50W amp Lincoln II+ at $300 where both are SMD type. (Don’t know how it’ll get out on AM yet; Bells shows 12-50W in same price as Walcott tune-up).

First off there’s not a question in my mind that this radio is a step up. It’s quieter than a Uniden 980, but it isn’t “quiet”. I understand that objection and can say that a West Mountain Radio CLEARSPEECH DSP Speaker is born to pair with this radio. They play very nicely together. I’d be displeased without DSP (type of noise controlled to lessen irritation).

I have a greater amount of degrees of adjustment on the Radio volume control to balance against how much I dial in on the DSP speaker. Of which I can also use more range. This is NEW as against all my other radios. (And it’s big).

It’s as if true linearity on the Volume control is present. Versus the fast jump on the U-980. That radio with this speaker was hair-split adjustments to each unit. Here, no need to be within a fraction of an inch. Other radios had a few fractions more. Not so with this II+.

I had found the several sets of adjustments on the U-980 to cut noise. Different starting points. None were ideal, all ended at a point equally objectionable to someone wanting a truly quiet background. The Linc may be no better on that score (type of noise present, but more easily controlled now).

I’d found that the U-980 could be kept on all day despite being static-sounding. (The Galaxy 86 & 99 pair were best at dead-quiet background). It’s SSB performance was slightly better than the Galaxy’s (both of which need to see the bench as insurance).

Tried the BHI Line Attenuator, but it’s built for greater wattage from the radio than this one puts out, same as with the U-980. (Idea is to be able to use a greater range of the Volume control; the new radio has it). I don’t feel the need to find one with different circuit values. I have another radio with which it will work.

The ANL/NB function well, and a feature new to me in a radio I own is a Hi-Cut filter. Between these choices, volume level and the two speaker adjustments I’ll have (again) several paths to make listening all day least objectionable.

That the RF Gain seems also to be linear means can adjust that over a greater range. (Also big).

Let me more forcefully state it: the linearity of radio controls provides such a greater range of adjustment inside EACH control that I’m at sea here at the beginning knowing WHAT control to use first.

That start point was easy to deduce, thus automatic, whether one of my three (3) digital Uniden radios or three (3) analog Galaxy radios as to “knowing” one or more starting points to maximize RF Gain against noise present. This set of conditions, start here. That set, start there.

Thus Volume and RF Gain controls plus Hi-Cut are a genuine step up from a U-980 (radio doubled in price; designs comparable) and I find that important as having the Radio “on” is chief virtue of ownership & use as a driver. I don’t get to quit for the next few hours, leave the radio room and watch, “BJ & the Bear”, on re-runs till sundown.

My day starts & stops 0400-1600 close as I can make that. Plus 500-550 miles. It’s simply different than being a commuter on the same roads daily or as a house-dweller with a base station. The objections to inexpensive SMD radios aren’t negated by my desires on the one hand or needs on the other.
Other radios can be better. A baseline radio was wanted where continuous use can’t be violated (theory, not always practice).

Dealing with on-air retards isn’t a radio function. This new radio looks as though I will be able to turn down the Volume and make noise-control adjustments such that I can still listen for key words & phrases plus excitable speech. The U-980, not so hot at this come mid-day. Relative volume had to stay higher than I wanted. If I can get it further down than before — looking that way — my money is already well-spent (before SSB concerns).

Mid-day can drive anyone off the air when the self-winding morons are slobbering PLUS atmospheric noise is high.

Thus, a marginally-greater amount of clean noise control (doesn’t muffle speech) will be a winner where RX/TX is also overall better (the key sentence of this post).

Today, at clock time 0415 no noise control is needed. At 1615 depending where I am (metro or rural) I may have thrown everything at the problem, right up to and including the kitchen sink. (That late in the day assuming I’m near a metro is when I’ll re-test using the radio-end coax filter).

Ferrites are in place on cables/wire as before. I’m still short a fair number (to use on other installations) so I’ll be purchasing more to be consistent in what mix and where placed.

More generally:

The radio has features I can’t access (outside of Eleven Meter) so while those are interesting to read upon, I’m still a truck driver with more radio than he can use.

That said, my goal has been to have a solid performer on SSB in a mobile, and I’m going to assume that’s what I have unless experience shows otherwise. Installed now means separate systems are isolated: Power + Antennas (work needed shown above).

What I mean by “isolated” is that this is a radio built to higher standard. I don’t have to assume the radio is a weak link. My other radios seemed fine, but . . . .

— I’m very pleased at having both high/low Voltage Protection plus SWR protection.

— The 9/19 button looks as though I can set AM-19 and then LSB-38 to both be available at the touch of a button. Getting lost in the woods is no big deal except while driving. Instant CH-19.

— One feature I truly like on the U-980 is the Day/Night key. As my workday starts before dawn, I use lowered illumination for the Night setting. Instant button change to accompany dashboard lighting, Qualcomm lighting plus GPS and phone. Not present here (unless I missed it).

Plenty of other features to explore.

— In the next day or so I’ll put the 980 in the bunk to serve as on-air audio reference and try to get Audio Features set.

— The KL-203 and CMNF-500 have been retired to the 980 transport case. The Bandpass filter was the one didn’t add points to the radio SWR meter (1.3-4 on AM-20), in fact it reduced SWR by .3. (Grounds coax at both ends entering; hello, antenna mounts).

Clamp-on Ammeter plus Antenna Analyzer and PEP Meter are tools needed to work Power + Antenna systems.

As I wrote in the 579 thread, the PRESIDENT LINCOLN II+ is symbolic for me in continuing forward. I was put off by no warranty service on the Anytones as I figured QC wouldn’t be as good (past design defects, if any). My hope is that I’ve a good unit best showcasing President tech.

I’d like for this radio to be the reference for other radios run mobile as the Uniden 980 + KL-203 is for general AM work (yet includes Sideband).

Receiver noise is neither here nor there where TX/RX performance otherwise matters more.

The extra $100, in other words

Last edited:
Next load was 17-miles away north from home. But drove 97-miles to Dallas and back after chasing down an empty trailer.

D/FW on a Saturday doesn’t feature much CB chatter. Of what was there and skip intermixed I was chasing controls:

1). Radio volume
2). Speaker Volume
3). NB
4). ANL
5). RF Gain
6). Squelch
7). Hi-Cut filter
8). Speaker DSP

Is that a sufficient number to work with (Ha!).

Some close signals came in quite loudly.
Some SKIP came in strongly
(not the same type of thing; quality versus quantity).

Let’s see where the marbles rolled:

Speaker DSP is at 12:00
Speaker Volune at 11:00

RF Gain at 3:00 vs 6:00 wide-open
Squelch bypassing ASC, and wide-open

Radio volume back at 11:00 (parked, engine off & APU on)

NB/ANL off
HI-Cut on.

Adjusting Radio Volume UP once moving again is all I foresee for today.

The differing qualities of audio received is today’s note.
And WHAT I receive has “quiet” around the voice.
One better hears vocal details. I REALLY like that.
(Think of dynamic range in music).

Last edited:
Okay, stock mic gotta go. Too small (I wind up using it between three fingertips) and I’ve changed channel three times already. I don’t have other channels to which to change and don’t realize I’ve touched a button. (Not wholly convinced it’s me).

Got up this morning and fled the area east of Dallas at about 0315. Stayed barely ahead of the ice storm into Louisiana and Mississippi. Was on the radio two dozen times, likely.

One driver with whom I covered 200+ miles said the stock mic sounded great (leave adjustments alone). That tells me to replicate sounds heard on stock mic for aftermarket mic (Have a 6-pin ASTATIC 636L along).

He was also surprised he’d picked me up 2.5-miles back originally as TX was loud enough he’d thought I was directly behind him or ahead of him in the dark. (Barefoot, but “tuned” radio).

Related in above post, this Sunday 400-mile run thru bad road conditions showed that the preset of RADIO controls works fine nearly all day:

Hi-Cut
engaged + RF Gain backed down 1/4 or less. Volume set to 20 (parked, at 11).

DSP SPEAKER: Volume at 11:00 and DSP 11-12:00.

Found a setting for Screen that looks like I can run it in the dark, but isn’t too dull for daytime use.

Iced antenna lowers, whips above coil free.
(Wilson 2000 pair). Cleared it off 120-miles along when buying fuel.

Didn’t have skip or aggravating locals. Just other drivers concerned by conditions. Sunday would normally be a dead quiet day, but weather had guys with backup radios on the air. Had the impression TX/RX up to 4+ miles was not a stretch with those just plug in a CB and drive comms units.

Above four miles — Interstate Mile Markers being used as reference — even the “big radios” (whom I was receiving loud & clear) didn’t hear me.

Several examples today of out-running your radio (big lungs but pinhole ears). Gauging by audio quality with one Billy Big Rig, I just wasn’t getting over the threshold on several tries. He was barking to others 2-3/miles ahead of him, some of whom I could occasionally hear (5-7 miles out ahead of me).

So I’ll need more fire in the wire.

Reactions: undertaker
More fire in the wire!! You had over 100w pep with the U980 w/KL203. I would say close to 140w. Just comparing to my set up. So ya 100w less barefoot I guess now.

No, more like 50W with the U-980 would be my guess. With the G-99 & G-86 I’d crank it to run 75-90W with a substantial dead-key in the same comparison (a little too much).

That was reading off an MFJ-945e tuner. Not a true PEP meter.

I ran a KL-7505 at 150-180W with the 99v2 in a Freightliner about three years back.

I have a KL203 along and will plug her in.

I’d guess I’m at 20-25W right now. Maybe to 35, but I’m certain not above that (based on the U980 + KL203 experience thru a few days ago).

These “review” posts meeting your expectations?

Aside from not yet trying SSB, put yourself in my seat to try something out (if you want; hell, anyone can ask). Running 500-mile days thru 31-states annually isn’t everyone’s usual fare in mobile CB.

Last edited:
Reactions: ForestRunner98
Ah ok! Yes plug her in and see what the results are. I am sure it will get ya a little further.

That mic is pretty small. I end up changing channels when I set it back on the mic holder. It’s always great for a back up mic!!

Reactions: Slowmover
Ah ok! Yes plug her in and see what the results are. I am sure it will get ya a little further.

That mic is pretty small. I end up changing channels when I set it back on the mic holder. It’s always great for a back up mic!!

I’d be interested in knowing how you run a Lincoln (again, anyone) paired with a W-M DSP Speaker. (And a baby amp).

(edited that last post, too).

What does it dead key on your meter? 10? I am not expecting big numbers out of this. I never upgraded the fuse from 15 amps and it hasn't popped that yet.

With no changes from above:

RF Power lowest:
“2” on silent PTT
RF Power highest:
“7” on silent PTT.

I’ve seen some of the Lincoln mods discussed. Am out of my bailiwick once a radio or other system component gets opened.

Latest from, The Dark O’Thirty CB Shop!

— Changed mic to a new six-pin A636L recently-modded for the U-980 (I’m assuming Uniden & President 6-wire is the same). Have also seen discussion about dynamic vs electret mics.

— Placed the KL203 between the Linc & 411cb Bandpass Filter.

— RF Power lowest, silent PTT = 3.
Highest, goes to “10”, but radio appears to cut it back almost instantly.

Am in the “nice” part of Mississippi this morning, the South-East Quadrant. The ice storm occupies all other quadrants according to the NWS. Maybe the locals will be out and about nearer daylight for some on-air feedback. 28F at 0300 and ground wet but ice not showing. Gonna be a slow ride in the dark down to the receiver 54-miles away.

Last edited:
A-636L mic use was a bust.
Back to stock mic.

Had to head SW to Baton Rouge, LA for the next load. Still sitting (waiting) for shipper to re-open. Weather not being helpful per current forecast.

Can’t cross Big Muddy on IH10. So, what truck traffic there is (not much) is going past me on US-61 (Airline Hwy) to cross over on the Huey P. Long bridge at the old highway, US-190.

Got all dressed up (abandon the truck winter weather clothes) to run past the shipper five miles away.

Nope.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated