• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

(Mobile) Lincoln II +

Trucking industry backed up awfully once east of Texas. Every load is taking days longer going East. Going West is for masochists as food, fuel & water supply became non-existent for trucks from western Louisiana cities to well past IH-35 at TX state center.

So, yeah, the new radio is getting a work out. Relating what I’ve heard other drivers report to those just coming into the area. KL-203 means if I can hear them, they can hear me (a few exceptions).

Escaped Baton Rouge after 48-hr delay, now possibly stuck at Meridian, MS.

I KNEW something was up when I got the last parking spot in Toomsuba at 1500.

Second radio in bunk won’t work for adjusting audio. Stock mic just reads feedback and radio backs down.

Set a minor amount of Echo & Delay and called it good.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
You can drive your rig like there's no tomorrow

- but trying to do that to a microphone is just not gonna' help the understanding... where the drivers pushing the physics of the problem by Blue-shifting a hot load arriving into the city so fast, That the rest of the gang - trying to listen to a fast-speaking driver, simply don't have enough hot coffee in them to offset the Red-shifting that occurs during the translation event going on between their ears...

upload_2021-2-18_10-51-3.png

Reactions: Slowmover
Quite a week. Loaded last Saturday at Ft Worth knowing bad weather imminent. Woke up at 0230 Sunday and was chased eastward (storm moving south) into Mississippi. Delivered Monday then back to storms edge at Baton Rouge.

Then chased same weather all the way to Maryland. Had to divert north quite a ways to get across Appalachians and avoid the snow bowl effect I was deducing on IH-81 thru Virginia.

But Kentucky, West Virginia and faarr western Maryland never easy due to grades.

Got to John Wayne Drive and was bushed.

Thus, quite a week of acute listening to the new radio. Driving, and parked.

Any of you ever driven a Corvette? Taken the usual routes at the usual speeds? But you got there faster as it’s just so easy to drive smoothly, right?

I’m not calling the Lincoln an Arkus-Duntov speedster. But I’d head that way in discussing the overall audio quality. The brain isn’t involved in filling in the missing info so much. More vocal detail, if . . .

. . you run it with a West Mountain Radio DSP Speaker.

(And one hopes you’ve also chased noise all across your mobile install).

I might not have missed this if I didn’t know it. Other radios are quieter (not all, maybe by design, then brand; price-reflective), so I’d have been happy to have run my Galaxy 99v2 this week.

But there’d have been TX I’d have worked harder to hear. To accurately decipher. That other driver is here & gone in just a minute or so.

So, the emotions indicated above led to yet another round of orders to get the antenna system re-newed (second time in a year), and maybe a new pair of Sirio 5000 3/8s in a few more weeks.

Once back home I’m determined to get access to the antenna mount bases (RF Bonds).

Sure seems like this radio has the potential to showcase all the rest of the work thus far.

I sure do like the size of it, the controls & read-out, and I’m charmed (no other word for it) by the delicacy of vocal characteristics revealed.

Poor RX quality audio means parts of words are blurred or go missing. The brain is constantly making good guesses.

Any wonder they’re turned off by crap heard on AM-19? Listening is work.

When listening IS NOT WORK, the crap isn’t bothersome in the same way. Some of them boys be artistes. The Pavarotti of de po boys. (As, . . it don’t mean nothin’. Drive on).

I literally almost don’t hear this radio when I’ve got it on just high enough to monitor. The physical ache of listening is missing (past adjusting controls for clock or local conditions; the norms).

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Quite a week. Loaded last Saturday at Ft Worth knowing bad weather imminent. Woke up at 0230 Sunday and was chased eastward (storm moving south) into Mississippi. Delivered Monday then back to storms edge at Baton Rouge.

Then chased same weather all the way to Maryland. Had to divert north quite a ways to get across Appalachians and avoid the snow bowl effect I was deducing on IH-81 thru Virginia.

But Kentucky, West Virginia and faarr western Maryland never easy due to grades.

Got to John Wayne Drive and was bushed.

Thus, quite a week of acute listening to the new radio. Driving, and parked.

Any of you ever driven a Corvette? Taken the usual routes at the usual speeds? But you got there faster as it’s just so easy to drive smoothly, right?

I’m not calling the Lincoln an Arkus-Duntov speedster. But I’d head that way in discussing the overall audio quality. The brain isn’t involved in filling in the missing info so much. More vocal detail, if . . .

. . you run it with a West Mountain Radio DSP Speaker.

(And one hopes you’ve also chased noise all across your mobile install).

I might not have missed this if I didn’t know it. Other radios are quieter (not all, maybe by design, then brand; price-reflective), so I’d have been happy to have run my Galaxy 99v2 this week.

But there’d have been TX I’d have worked harder to hear. To accurately decipher. That other driver is here & gone in just a minute or so.

So, the emotions indicated above led to yet another round of orders to get the antenna system re-newed (second time in a year), and maybe a new pair of Sirio 5000 3/8s in a few more weeks.

Once back home I’m determined to get access to the antenna mount bases (RF Bonds).

Sure seems like this radio has the potential to showcase all the rest of the work thus far.

I sure do like the size of it, the controls & read-out, and I’m charmed (no other word for it) by the delicacy of vocal characteristics revealed.

Poor RX quality audio means parts of words are blurred or go missing. The brain is constantly making good guesses.

Any wonder they’re turned off by crap heard on AM-19? Listening is work.

When listening IS NOT WORK, the crap isn’t bothersome in the same way. Some of them boys be artistes. The Pavarotti of de po boys. (As, . . it don’t mean nothin’. Drive on).

I literally almost don’t hear this radio when I’ve got it on just high enough to monitor. The physical ache of listening is missing (past adjusting controls for clock or local conditions; the norms).

My sentiments exactly! My Anytone 6666 paired with the West Mountain DSP speaker is a pleasure to use when one needs to really hear what's going on! I acquired this radio on Fleabay and it has unknown mods, but the Stryker 955 is sitting in the closet at home! The 6666 has way more usable receive than the 955 and is a pleasure to use.
An added bonus! I just deposited the $30 rebate check for the WM speaker today!
Glad you talked me into getting one!
Safe travels @Slowmover!
Gotta be in Beltsville Maryland tomorrow morning!

JD

An example: The DSP speaker makes it possible to hear what wasn’t heard before. The CB/Exports just don’t have Amateur quality filtering. Thus a necessary add-on (see thread on same).

Woke up a few mornings back at The Tennessesean just over the Alabama line on IH-65. And — far past Nashville — just over the Kentucky line was a bad overturned truck wreck that had closed the Interstate I learned from a southbound hand. So I dawdled a few hours (no alternate available).

By the time I did get up there more than five hours had passed and still was causing congestion.

The rest of this story isn’t new. Of how I heard from a dozen miles away of conditions and the alternate route around it. What IS new is how I didn’t question my hearing or had to speak up to confirm directions. Just clear as a bell.

Almost 90-miles north of Nashville near Bowling Green I had a flatbedder ask me how the hell did you get out ahead of me since I KNOW I passed you back in Nashville?

Y’all know the answer: A four-mile minor detour.

Easiest one I’ve ever done.

Last edited:
My sentiments exactly! My Anytone 6666 paired with the West Mountain DSP speaker is a pleasure to use when one needs to really hear what's going on! I acquired this radio on Fleabay and it has unknown mods, but the Stryker 955 is sitting in the closet at home! The 6666 has way more usable receive than the 955 and is a pleasure to use.
An added bonus! I just deposited the $30 rebate check for the WM speaker today!
Glad you talked me into getting one!
Safe travels @Slowmover!
Gotta be in Beltsville Maryland tomorrow morning!

JD

I was just about to post that I’ve heard the AT-6666 was a close performer. Thank you for the confirmation!

I’m headed to Perryville, MD in the a.m.

Reactions: jdchet
(Started this thread a month ago yesterday. Thank you! to all who have contributed advice and suggestions along with experience & observations. I hope you’ll feel free to continue, as, this type of radio used mobile is a genuine step up from a typical — better known offerings — in the CB/Export category).

Per only AM Performance (with W-M Radio CLEARSPEECH DSP):

After a difficult ten days of work due to weather.

and now on roads traveled many times in great weather (meaning, cb radio traffic normalcy)

I feel pretty convinced this unit has the best receive quality I’ve ever used.

(My experience is as nothing in radio units tried/reviewed when compared to some other men; any strength of recommendation from me comes from long daily hours and need for timely info).

1). 10-days on-road and then a huge variety of passing traffic in the winter storm near Texas while parked two days. (Greatly stressed drivers).

2). Then typical road reports received at distance while en route cross-country in cold/wet/snowing.

3). Wrapped today with 60F, dry roads and 540-miles of highly familiar Interstate. (Call it the control against 1&2). 2,600-miles to date.

Noise in the Receive is simply a fact. And there can be quite distant voices where I really can’t make out the words (I’ll ascribe this to an antenna system not as good as the radio).

5-7/miles Received isn’t remarkable. Seems no different from 2-3/miles except strength of signal. Not so condition-dependent as maybe with other radios tried in this Peterbilt in its current configuration.

I have the impression that poor radio rigs aren’t hindered at my end. (This is new). They come in well enough that any conversation I may have with them is fruitful (if shorter in available time than with better-sorted radio rigs).

My chances at first hearing then being able to converse seem higher than with other radios. (Improved odds, in other words).

That the Lincoln is distinctly easier to use as monitor for key words, etc, isn’t in question. I had gotten down to asking, Was It Best? (General).

Yes, IMO.

Still don’t have the mic I want; audio controls are generalized versus specified; and I really don’t know how it sounds on-air.

But those are concerns far secondary to what matters to me as a truck driver.
Not unimportant, just not vital.

There are reviews of this TYPE radio where the reservation expressed is that it’s not an AM audio monster despite stellar Sideband performance, etc. (A hedging statement). So I wrote this post to say I didn’t have anyone ask me to repeat anything I said. (Did my part yesterday in an hour-long delay due to an overturned tanker with both Interstate directions closed. I answered questions along with others to radios five and more miles away, at times. The KL-203 was a help in that kind of radio pile-up).

A better sounding microphone (maybe, after tests) and some on-air help to get the best-sounding audio quality set in the controls is yet to come.

But if that never happened I wouldn’t change my opinion

Beating Heart = Hear, and Get Heard.

President Lincoln II+ $250
W-M Radio DSP Speaker $200
RM Italy KL203 $65

Call it $525 for a radio (type) from the top shelf, (per my experience).

Not radio-dependent also includes:

Add $45-60 more (maybe) for an aftermarket microphone.

Peterbilt noise abatement is $50 in ferrites. $150 in Coax/Bandpass filters. Higher-quality coax co-phase harness is $45. Plus assorted RF Bonds and some attempts at static control. (A typical car should be less work and better performance).

Linc + W-M Speaker is the basic tool = $450.

The total might seem expensive, but I re-coup the cost 2-3X per year with intelligent use.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.