• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile mounted, trunk seal leaks now?

Cutlass327

May 1, 2016
NE Ohio
I'm hoping someone on here has a good minimally invasive solution here.

I have a 2010 Focus, and I have mounted my Lil Wil on the trunk lid, running the coax down the front edge into the trunk then up to the radio. The issue I have is going thru the car wash the other day I had a lot of water get in, as the coax is not letting the trunk seal work properly. I figure if the car wash can get in there, this winter the melting snow will make it in too.

Is there a way to run the coax that I do not have to worry about leaks?

Re-route your coax or as stated by TM, cut a hole. If it was me, I would try re routing first but would have the hole saw and another mount handy.

I'm hoping someone on here has a good minimally invasive solution here.

I have a 2010 Focus, and I have mounted my Lil Wil on the trunk lid, running the coax down the front edge into the trunk then up to the radio. The issue I have is going thru the car wash the other day I had a lot of water get in, as the coax is not letting the trunk seal work properly. I figure if the car wash can get in there, this winter the melting snow will make it in too.

Is there a way to run the coax that I do not have to worry about leaks?

My Son has a Focus with a Mag mount antenna. He had to put his mount towards one of the trunk corners (I don't remember which one) to avoid water in the trunk. My other Son had some leak issues (not a Focus), didn't care about how anything looked, and ran the coax from his mount over the side and in thru the rear passenger door...;)

Drill a hole and put a REAL mount on. Holes do not affect resell value, unless you do it wrong. You can also cut a hole in the seal itself and dab some sealer around the cable, then reinstall PL. Replacement seals are cheap and easy to replace.

You can also remove the seal and cut a tab out of the sheet metal seam. The cable will rest in the cutout nicely, then replace seam.

My Son has a Focus with a Mag mount antenna. He had to put his mount towards one of the trunk corners (I don't remember which one) to avoid water in the trunk. My other Son had some leak issues (not a Focus), didn't care about how anything looked, and ran the coax from his mount over the side and in thru the rear passenger door...;)
That's how I run mine with the exception my antenna is on the roof.

Reactions: Woody-202
If the coax is long enough, you can run it along the edge of the trunk outside of the seal and down to the lowest point. Then turn the coax and bring it up across the seal. This way if water runs down the coax, it will go down to the drip loop and not turn the corner with the coax to go into the seal. Might even be able to tuck it under the outside of the seal on its way to the bottom.

Years ago (I'm talking mid 70's) Trunk lip mounts were very popular...What you had to do was run the coax behind the weather stripping next to the channel where the rain would run down....Sometimes you could pull the weather stripping up enough to stick the coax sorta under it...then maybe use some black silicon to help hold it in place...

Run the coax from the mount, all the way down to the bumper, then go back into the trunk compartment at the bottom...then route the coax around the side fenders and back to the front.

This would require a lot more than 18' of coax to do it right, but you won't have any water issues.

other option is to get the drill out...

I will echo what pretty much everyone else said.. drill. If you do choose to go this route and buy a decent through hole mount while your at it just drop the headliner and do it right the first time. A permanent roof mount sirio will whip a mag mount on the trunk anyday. If height is a concern then disregard my advice.. Good luck & 73

Reactions: binrat
Thanks for the tips.

I will say, the tip Mudman said of putting the coax thru the seal is an idea. It isa Wilson, and they use that 2-pc PL connector design I love, unscrew the big piece and fish the smaller part thru a smaller hole. I could probably stretch a small hole over the small end, so it seals tight to the coax itself.

Otherwise, I may extend it and run it thru a different location, maybe find a way to go in behind the taillight thru the wiring grommet.

I always did it this way.
Pull the rubber trunk seal loose around the area where you want the coax to pass through. Use a rat-tail file or a Dremel to cut a slot in the trunk seal lip on the body. Cut the slot deep enough so it extends below the seal when it's reinstalled. Put the coax in place, and seal around it with silicone sealer. Reinstall rubber trunk seal and you're good to go.

seal.png

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated