• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile SSB radio

Eiresh

Aug 9, 2014
So here I am going to not only ask a question, but try to pose a little bit of a challenge. Hopefully this post will relate to others out there.

I drive around in a 4 door car that doesn't offer alot of options to install a CB radio in it. If I am going to go any route with a radio, I would perfer a SSB radio.

Which SSB radios are the smallest out there?

I recently bought a Yeticom Optima mk3. I like it. Had to make a few adjustments to bias and a minor audio mod. Nice little radio. Made a few contacts with it while driving south. Nice small compact and perfect for SSB.

CPI 2500. Small remote head unit, main box goes nicely under a seat.

Here's a video to show you the size of the head unit:

Finding one may prove to be more of a challenge than your original question.

Modified SMT part. It definitely helped. But that radio is definitely more a SSB rig, not a AM monster. Perfect for ride around. Next thing is to modify or replace mic. But that's after vacation. On the road now for the week.

A few of the locals around me have Optima radios and we have a club on 27.605 LSB. The SSB on those radios is wonderful but the AM transmit performance is pretty anemic.
As far as the size of the radio goes.....you can make any radio fit with some effort and mounting fabrication.

both my optimas do ok on am,, with a japan hm36 with the packing removed from the element,, and the mod pot turned up some,, mine do 9-10 watt dead key and swing to 40 pep on am.

Reactions: binrat
I have a Uniden PC 122 that is my primary mobile radio. It splits that duty with a Cherokee AH100 SSB walkie talkie that I hook up in the car. Both are plenty compact. Both perform well. I also have a Realistic TRC 465, which is basically a PC 122 in a different housing. Like the PC 122, it performs very well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.