• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile to Base Amp Conversion

AkBowtie

May 21, 2005
Anchorage, Alaska
www.kntalaska.com
What would it take to convert say a 4 or 6 pill mobile into a base unit? A transformer obviously, but how big of one and what other parts ?
I've got some brand new never been abused Square D Transformers 240/120 to 24/12 43amp from what i can tell.
Part number is 500sv43b.
Wondering if these are good for any projects like that. Hate to see these things go to waste.

Thanks, yeah i read that, and looked at his project, pretty awesome :)
Didnt help me though.
What i'm wanting to do, or know, is what size transformer would have to be used in a base amp and cap size.
Basically wondering if these transformers are worth messing with. I cant see throwing them away, their all brand new never been opened and must be a dozen of them or more.
I'd love to be able to take my 6 pill and add a transformer and whatevers needed, to make it a base amp. These transformers are pretty cool, completely inclosed in a weather proof case, I looked on Square D site and they say their $200 a piece, ouch.

You could probably run a modest 4-pill from 1 of those, assuming your power supply design and regulation is done with care. You could try running the two transformers in parallel, but that would open up a whole other messy can of design worms.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.