• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

modern 10M SSB radios/mics and vehicle noise (sound)

Back_Crick_Hobbies

Mar 14, 2023
getting back into the hobby. WOOT solar cycle! *ahem my brothers both own JK Jeeps. they are probably going to take my advice when it comes to CB radios. i want them to get SSB radios. road/wind noise in these Jeeps with soft tops is a major factor. are newer radios/mics such as the President McKinley, Anytone AT-6666, and AT-5555n II equipped to handle road noise? for wheeling we'll probably use AM at low power, but i want SSB as a reach out option.

please and thank you
/richard

This is my 350 tuned 6666, at about 90pep into a 8pill. This is the stock mic with a custom foam pop guard. I was driving about 65mph in an older explorer when this was recorded. I had so many stations coming back to me that it was rough pulling one out of the mess.

This is my 350 tuned 6666, at about 90pep into a 8pill. This is the stock mic with a custom foam pop guard. I was driving about 65mph in an older explorer when this was recorded. I had so many stations coming back to me that it was rough pulling one out of the mess.

hell yeah. thanks for that. sounds good to me for sure. doesn't sound like your rollin down the road. would have guessed a base station.

1340 huh? as in 80-cu?
An amplified speaker is your friend.
right on and thanks. any one in particular you could suggest?

i may try putting a speaker in a stock Anytone mic. there is a spot for one. run the line up the cable, then hang off the shoulder close to the ear.

thanks again
/richard

The Uniden BC23A amplified external speaker gets good reviews. I use the unamplified version the BC20. Good sounding speaker. When I'm on the highway in my small suv I have to turn the volume on my 6666 to max. An amplified speaker like the BC23A would be better.

Amazon product ASIN B009TNAGDA

Reactions: Back_Crick_Hobbies
Are you asking about RX or TX?
Audio amp in CB is plenty to drive passive external speaker loud enough.
If you are worried about car noise being transmitted just go down with mic gain and keep microphone close to your mouth while transmitting.
Mike

The Uniden BC23A amplified external speaker gets good reviews. I use the unamplified version the BC20. Good sounding speaker. When I'm on the highway in my small suv I have to turn the volume on my 6666 to max. An amplified speaker like the BC23A would be better.

Amazon product ASIN B009TNAGDA
thanks
Are you asking about RX or TX?
Audio amp in CB is plenty enough to drive external speaker.
If you are worried about car noise being transmitted just go down with mic gain and keep microphone close to your mouth while transmitting.
Mike
originally about TX noise, but L2 brought up a good point about needing an external speaker. right on about the mic gain. thank you

I assumed the initial question was about the TX audio. On RX I run a West Mountain Radio clear speaker for improved intelligibility and volume. It makes it much easier to understand weaker stations.

Either radios would work well. I have a McKinley. If you’re wheeling you won’t need too much power to reach the other rigs.

You being soft top, what antenna are you going to run? That’s the major hurdle for a jeep. I started with a 3’ Firestik on a bracket and slowly progressed to a Sirio 5k drilled into the roof of my 4Runner. That skip talk was the gateway drug!!!

Either radios would work well. I have a McKinley. If you’re wheeling you won’t need too much power to reach the other rigs.

You being soft top, what antenna are you going to run? That’s the major hurdle for a jeep. I started with a 3’ Firestik on a bracket and slowly progressed to a Sirio 5k drilled into the roof of my 4Runner. That skip talk was the gateway drug!!!
agreed on power. i would like to be able to reach out with them while out and about in town (85² miles) or use the radios as base stations. while being able to dial the TX down in the trails. i know with SSB it's efficient. i remember getting a contact out in Ohio, from NJ on SSB. i know what you mean about it being a drug. it was my peaked barefoot Cobra 148 GTL, through an A-99. sadly i spread myself across too many hobbies and radio play suffered. that and chasing girls. :p but i'm wiser now!

antenna is a good question. it will be up to my brothers where they are willing to mount. they both have aftermarket spare tire mounts and bumpers. i don't think they will be doing any drilling. if it were me i would probably do something on the drivers side windshield to make navigating branches etc easier. what aerial i don't know. something i really have to research. thanks :)
jeep_winshield_mount.jpg
*not mine

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated