• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MODIFYING SBE Console 6 for channels - best method ?

Retro CB Guy

Jun 22, 2014
Hello, I'm checking around on channel mods for the SBE Console 6 deluxe base station ! I am wondering also about that mod where the channel readout shows channels up to 99 on this radio I've heard about ?

So what is some good methods for modding the SBE Console 6 for channels above 40 ? I need documents ! Pictures and knowledge on better ways to add extra channels for the SBE Console VI (6) please !

I assume clarifier opening is easy enough though if I need that done...

Thanks for any info I can really use, Retro 73's

TM86 appriciate that !!!!!!! Now if I can get some folks to reply if they've tried that method and confirm it works... I'll have a talk with my tech about it for sure !!!!

PLL Modification

PLL Used: NDC40013/M58476
Models include:- Craig L131/L231, Johnson Messenger 4730/Viking 4740, NDI PC200/PC201, Tram D64, Pace 1000BC/1000MC/SS-120, SBE Console VI

This chip was designed to replace the MC14526/68 pair. Used in SSB models only.

Modification is done by useing an external oscillator to replace the doubled 20 Mhz mixing signal coming from the 10 Mhz reference divider.

Run a google search on "TRAM D64 Clarifier Mod" or "Expander 160" to find where to puchase the kit for the mods. I cannot post the link.

Modulation - R217
AM Power - L704, L706, L709
SSB Power - R271

Copied from Copper electronics forum.

http://www.cbcintl.com/appnotes.htm

my personal favorite;
http://www.cbtricks.com/pub/secret_cb/vol_08/graphics/secret_cb_vol_08_pg14.pdf

Last edited:
Yeah David, I hear ya... That's why I'm asking around and hope I get lots of replys with some folks with some experience .... I'm taking it over this weekend to my local tech who's been working with vintage radios for over 35 years...

Here's what I have in my old hand-written notes for extras on that radio.

Locate the wire that comes off pin 9 of the PLL (NDC 40013) that goes to the channel selector. Cut this wire and install a SPST switch.
Locate the wire that comes off pin 11 of the PLL that goes to the channel selector. Cut this wire and install a SPST switch.
You can also use a DPDT center off toggle and eliminate one switch if you desire.

If using a DPDT center off toggle, center position is regular 40. One position will give 27.415-27.475, the other position will give 27.485-27.705.

~Cheers~

Ahhhh Exit-13 bro thanks alot ! I've heard of these Console 6's showing channels 1-99 pm thier channel selector somehow though too, wondering about that, seems that may be a unit from another country - perhaps Australia ...

That could be, I don't know about that. I just know that I had a channel mod for it somewhere and I had to do some digging for it.... been a few years since I worked on a Console VI.

~Cheers~

Okay Exit13, if you find that, please post to me asap I've got an appointment Sat. Nov. 8th with my tech and the more info especially reliable the better bro !!!!!!!

Okay good folks on this forum, I really need your help now PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've returned from my tech and all he could get with 2 (2) position switches is channels 48 - 60 and it doesn't hold well after channel 61 so 48-60 it does okay ! So I'm wondering what the heck is wrong here, cos normally we should be able to start around channel 45 or even 41 and go straight up to channel where it maxes out at when done properly...

So I'm at a lose now as to what went wrong, dang I really wanna get this better and will you guys help me research it and ask around so I can get this best possible it really means alot to me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there a channel kit for the SBE Console 6 or one that would work maybe even better, heck I'm open to options but I need a sure confirmed method that works - ANYONE PLEASE ?

The fella I got it from had one of these that worked from channel 1 - 99 somehow, but he doesn't know how and his others are not working atm.

SOS I'd like to take care of this soon and so whatever it takes let me know please,

Retro - IN NEED OF HELP VERY MUCH ......................

After the conversion has been done the whole TX and RX chains will have to be re-balanced for the extra channels. Your tech should have done this procedure. My Pace 1000B 40 ch. runs the same board as the Console VI, and I have no issues with getting up to ch. 70. But I had to re-balance the TX and RX chains (cans) to get full coverage.

~Cheers~

Reactions: wavrider

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.