• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

More and more CB radios turning up at hamfeast.

Lastly, I think everyone just just relax a bit on this whole topic.

After all, it's all just a hobby.

Agreed, relaxed it is, Mole.
My main reason for posting as I did was only to address the cavalier way even the most mild mannered of the ham population allows themselves to apply the "wink, wink, nod, nod" approach to making fun of part 95 radio and its most flamboyant users.

It is what it is.
I'm sure many of us here have been to hamfest and seen some of these guys who spend so much time judging others and their shortcomings.
I mean come on. Really now. :LOL:

The whackers and the freq. cops are a whole nuther thread in which I would be more than happy to participate in.

i understand where you come from.... i dont necessarily agree but than again im not a ham, i mean theirs a lot of hams that use CB as well...

I just wanted to say im glad im not new to these forums.. (this one i am but ive been on the other ones for a while...) if i were to see this coming in brand new... it mgiht be a turn off "their kind" and well "get your s*** out of my stuff" attitude is very un becoming, if i were new i dont know if id be sticking around.

This post definitely helps some of those "ham are snobs" rumors live on... and spread... i know for the most part ham's HATE hearing those comments .. but this post is a reason they are around

i am not trying to ... yell at or reprimand you, or come down on you or anything like that... I am just saying to "virgin eyes" this is very un becoming,

Now i dont know if your one of those "snobby hams" or not, but i just wanted to point out these few facts ....

Now where is this feast?

Why spend $400 for an impressive looking Chinese made box with meters and the same $50 circuit they all use stuck inside it, when for $350, you can buy one of the gazillion surplus KenYaeCom's, gouge out a jumper and have a quality signal without all the hyperbole?

Why spend $400 for an impressive looking Chinese made box with meters and the same $50 circuit they all use stuck inside it, when for $350, you can buy one of the gazillion surplus KenYaeCom's, gouge out a jumper and have a quality signal without all the hyperbole?

The main appeal of the modern exports, and CB's in general, is that they rock on roll on AM. LOUD AM modulation. Not gonna find loud clean blasting AM modulation on any of the ham rigs. Plus the CBer's get the bells and whistles like echo and roger beeps.

You will find some CBer's who only talk on SSB and many of them will run ham rigs only.

It's all good. People like what they like and there's nothing wrong with any of it.

Here we go again..."They" what the hell.! Now somebody sells a CB and "they" are now, no longer a person? Okay..having your amateur ticket is great and something to be proud of but, if that is all you have accomplished in your sad little life maybe you have a right to be angry..
AT YOURSELF! jiminy cricket's Hitler get a life!!!

Here we go again..."They" what the hell.! Now somebody sells a CB and "they" are now, no longer a person? Okay..having your amateur ticket is great and something to be proud of but, if that is all you have accomplished in your sad little life maybe you have a right to be angry..
AT YOURSELF! jiminy cricket's Hitler get a life!!!

That is such a true statement. I do know some of the licensed elite that think amateur radio is a way of life.

That is because they have no life except what is on the air waves.

What is a CB?, a radio nothing more nothing less, a few circuits, same as an amateur radio, just different frequency of use.

There is a QSO contest going on the ham bands this weekend. Good-luck rag chewing so I went to 11 meters. Why, because usually one can always find a rag chew there. It may be colorful, it may have foul language, it may not be as interesting as discussing the superheterodyne flux capacitor in the latest rice box technology but it is still a rag chew and heck, it is a lot of fun and entertaining listening to the locals. The ops say what they want, they key up on each other, and use foul language, but in the end, they have fun, that is what it is all about.

And, surely, the hams find an unlicensed operator chatting on 10 Meters and report such findings, and they are branded as "uppity", snooty, or "elitists". He is a "snitch", but the same CB operator that just got finished talking illegally on 28.085 AM would dial 911 if he found an intruder in his house and think, "I am NOT a snitch" for calling the cops! Double standard? You BETCHA!!!!
Oh jeez, now tuning a radio to 10m without a license is akin to breaking into someones house? Are you serious? Most towns have an ordinance against spitting on the sidewalk too, have you ever done that?

i think CW got his lunch money taken by kids at school that talked on the CB radio when he was young ....... and he never got over it .

Back in the 60's and 70's CB'ers had Coffee Breaks. The CB club I belonged back in PA had one every year. It was held at the county fairgrounds and started on a Friday afternoon and lasted until Sunday night. We had live music, camping and CB gear to no end. Dealers from OH, PA and NY came loaded with stuff. New and used. We also had 100's of door prizes. It was 100% CB stuff for sale/trade.

It would be nice if they still had them!

Terry

post #142125
I could not agree more. A cogent and well thought comment. (y)
Oh jeez, now tuning a radio to 10m without a license is akin to breaking into someones house? Are you serious? Most towns have an ordinance against spitting on the sidewalk too, have you ever done that?
And, surely, the hams find an unlicensed operator chatting on 10 Meters and report such findings, and they are branded as "uppity", snooty, or "elitists". He is a "snitch", but the same CB operator that just got finished talking illegally on 28.085 AM would dial 911 if he found an intruder in his house and think, "I am NOT a snitch" for calling the cops! Double standard? You BETCHA!!!!
CWM is not saying that mere listening on 10M is "akin to breaking into someones house", but that chatting is. Read it again.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.