• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base More Pattern Overlays

Homer, here is my model. It is not good and not multi band.

Attachments

• Homer's Imax multi-band idea .pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Well, it has no radials, just guys 9' below feedpoint. And it has a usable or low SWR on 4 bands. It is 44' high.
My mistake on height. It is 47' to feedpoint.
The wooden part is 17', the metal above the wood is 30'

Last edited:
Well, it has no radials, just guys 9' below feedpoint. And it has a usable or low SWR on 4 bands. It is 44' high.

Some hams support what you see with their Imax and maybe the A99 too, just not sure about the A99.

The Imax is a bit different than the Imax I model, using a transformer to match.

The Imax has a special matching system and the CB world has trashed it and the A99 for years out of pure ignorance.

Ham's for years have called it a poor dummy load, and some of them or full of it too.

Homer, I believe you are seeing exactly what you described.

While it is trashed it keeps being bought and adding contacts to log books.
It's like one fellow sits and bashes the steak while the other gets a full stomach. . .
I traded fixing a fellows broken porch steps for the antenna, so decided to try it. In all my years I've never owned one.

Reactions: Marconi
While it is trashed it keeps being bought and adding contacts to log books.
It's like one fellow sits and bashes the steak while the other gets a full stomach. . .
I traded fixing a fellows broken porch steps for the antenna, so decided to try it. In all my years I've never owned one.

I owned one, but never liked it...just because of guys talking bad about the antenna. I don't talk much about it because I know the CB BS is still out there...claiming all the old carp.

Even today and a while back, when we heard the stories about the Imax being made shorter. That goof-ball basically had nothing good to say about the 3-4 he bought, because he said his amp like a real low SWR, and the new Imax just wasn't going to cut for him.

The Imax and the A99 antennas are reported as notorious for CMC issues, and we'll never know the truth in that case...the truth is not in folks like that guy and who knows what goes on at Solarcon in these terrible times in our World.

Last edited:
I know 2 people who have the IMAX2K and it works really well for them.. but as far as I can understand they both have exceptional (as in - exceptionally good) installations.. so all the 5/8 performance benefits are realized. I think unless you really know what you are doing the benefits of the 5/8 wave in IMAX2K format could be hit and miss performance wise (not helped by the fact it is not shipped with the GP radial set and is an optional extra).

I don't hear many people say they are running a IMAX 2K (now A.K.A. as the MAX2000) over here (UK) these days. The price alone is off putting for many. I have one in the loft in great condition, it may well be put into service again, we shall see.

Reactions: HomerBB
I don't hear many people say they are running a IMAX 2K (now A.K.A. as the MAX2000) over here (UK) these days. The price alone is off putting for many. I have one in the loft in great condition, it may well be put into service again, we shall see.

Plenty of people are still running them, I think almost everyone in my town still on CB is using one. However like you say the price is mental, I was looking on Knights website and they must be three times what I paid for mine years ago. They used to be around £60 or so, now they're £150.

So many I hear on, run the Gain Master now... the Sirio 827 is quite common. Cannot recall a new person I spoke to the last year or so running a MAX2K of late... it's the price I suspect and installation idiosyncrasy's. That and lots of good 5/8 wave antennas that are cheaper. (albeit with some form of radials)

And on top the GM has proven itself over the years as preferable in many installations. All these factors explain it.

They all work with a well considered/knowledgeable installation, but some work better in some locations than others.

Reactions: Marconi
Blaster, I agree that the Gain Master is s remarkable antenna and I never experienced any of the RF problems...I've seen using other some antennas.

Is the Gain Master still available?

Reactions: TheBlaster
It certainly is Marconi, you can buy them here no problems (UK) I would not personally entertain the 1/2 wave version though. I would go only for 5/8 version. I have had many amazing contacts with it (even surprising me through sunspot minima). I strongly believe through many hours DX experience on 11m that it is an antenna that can give you the edge.

I know the theory says there are no "magic" antennas as we only speak of a 1dB here and there between them. However for me personally this antenna seems to consistently punch above any other antenna and by more than a dB or so, very much obviously so to me. I think once up to 7.5m or higher without obstructions near by it just performs with 5/8 wave performance without the need for radials and have the "all currents in phase" poke of a dipole with the lower radiation angle focus on the horizon of a 5/8 wave.

Models are a good thing, necessary even... however installations and specifics at the QTH make them only a reference from which to start, many variables interacting. Much can clearly go wrong in an installation resulting in much head scratching and sub par performance and very big differences than what a theoretical model suggests.

Models are a starting point (and we do need that so we can juxtapose our own personal real world with an idealized and expected performance baseline), nothing more.

I love mine, it makes DXing easier, more reliable in any conditions, weaker or stronger.

I found this interesting as it is almost as if he reads the posts on this forum and it inspires his videos:

Last edited:
It certainly is Marconi, you can buy them here no problems (UK) I would not personally entertain the 1/2 wave version though. I would go only for 5/8 version. I have had many amazing contacts with it (even surprising me through sunspot minima). I strongly believe through many hours DX experience on 11m that it is an antenna that can give you the edge.

I agree Blaster, I had similar experiences with my Gain Master.

I got excited at your enthusiasm, and discussions by some other's. So, I've decided to get back into my CB work on air.

It will be a week maybe, before I get setup with my plans using a new A99 without radials at about 45' feet.

Thanks,

Truth be known, on 11m you can DX anywhere you can on the ham bands assuming there is someone to receive you when the sunspots start coming. And you don't even need that many, when the conditions are weak many people think the band is "dead". This can be good and bad, bad in that fewer people are on as we tend to follow each other like sheep and don't call for the DX (understandable if it is available more easily elsewhere)

But it also keeps the band noise down and when you have a very nicely tuned and performing set up you are there first, to hoover up the DX. I bet there are many more short openings on 10-12m than people think, it is just the call to success ratio is lower.... and that as I know through experience can be quite tiring.

Sometimes you can be taken by total surprise and out of nowhere you hear a remote station had some good ones in the 3,000-6,000 miles region the last 2-3 months on 11m. All very small signals S0-S3's max.. with a nice quiet RF noise floor you can be there an nab some very nice contacts.

You need to be patient, persistent and chase it though when it is weak. Good news is the sun is slowly starting to build it spots up.. there is a nice juicy big spot just about to come round and a few on there so it is looking good and going in the right direction.

You don't have a Gain Master anymore I take it, it would work like a dream at 45 feet feed point... in fact even at 25 feet it starts motoring nicely.

10m is open right now stateside so I am pretty sure 11m will be also.

Most spots I have seen for a long while..

https://spaceweather.com/

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.